The Passion of the Christ

→ in
Tools    

The Passion of the Christ ****

After the movie ended I could not move. On the drive home I could not speak. This movie is powerful.

This movie has been touted to be ultra-violent, and anti-semitic. I don't believe this could be farther from the truth. Yes, it is very bloody and very violent. And yes, some less than respectable behavior of some Jews is shown, but what isn't talked up are those Jews shown in the film who were compassionate, and felt pity for their fellow man that was put through this hell.

The violence in this movie could have easily been way too dominant and could have been the point. Thankfully for Mel Gibson's steady direction the violence is exactly what it should be, effective. Even after the Jewish leaders condemn him to death as they look on the beatings of Jesus they cringe because they can't stand to look at what is happening to this person, even if it is a person they wish dead. As Mary cannot bring herself to move any farther to help Jesus carry his burden, she sees not the savior of all of mankind, but the young son who fell and scraped his knees needing her comfort, and she runs to his side. A Jewish man forced to help him carry the cross sees not necessarily a higher being, but a horribly abused man in desperate need of help from another, and he is compelled to oblige. It is this focus on the humanity of Jesus which makes this movie, and its violence, so effective.

Every actor involved here should be commended. Going into this I was wary of how the language barrier would hinder the performances, and message, of the movie, but thankfully it isn't an issue. Maia Morgenstern, and Monica Bellucci are particularly good here as Mary and Magdaline respectively. Jim Caveizel is excellent as Jesus, and his is probably the best portrayal of Jesus I have ever seen.

Don't let the many warnings of a hatred breeding, or a blood soaked movie scare you off, because if you can stomach it the payoff is extraordinary, and deeply moving.

I'm glad you were able to see the bigger picture, bro.

This move is about as anti-Semitic as my cat. AND SHE WEARS LOCS!

The point is, Caiaphas and the other priests did indeed want Christ crucified, but that doesn't mean all the Jews wanted Christ crucified. For crying out loud, I hated the Roman guards more than I hated the 'Jews'. I get so sick of everybody raising their arms up in the air and crying foul. If it's not this, then it'll be Jesse Jackson screaming that there weren't enough Etheopians in the film.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

My life isn't written very well.
Nice review PM!

I'm glad you guys got to see it! The theaters around where I live have been pre-booked (sold out) to local Christian groups. Looks like it'll be a matinee next week for me.

Bri', what are LOCS?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Hi
So how does it end?

Hi
Awful joke sorry but put a spoilers tag and tell me where in his story it actually ends. It's not really going to ruin the film for me

Umm...Jesus dies.

R3port3r, think of a long haired Rabbi from an old movie. Can you picture the curly rings of hair on the sides of their heads? Those are locs.

i saw this movie, and this coming from my heart, when i say i was deeply toched by this film. This is the only movie i cried to. After the movie was done i reflected in my seat of all the wrong things i had donee. i really felt bad, i felt sorry for what we did to Jesus. I was very emotional while i walked home. Im sorry folks, this is the greatest film of all time. I will never be the same again, when it comes to my religion and movies.

PS: Its a joke this film is being called anti semitic.

Originally Posted by Tuna
Awful joke sorry but put a spoilers tag and tell me where in his story it actually ends. It's not really going to ruin the film for me
WARNING: "The Passion of the Christ" spoilers below
It ends with a stone door rooling open and a resurrected Jesus getting up and walking out of the cave.

Very nice review Project… I am going to wait until the crowds thin out a little to see this one though… I talked to a few people last night who work at one of the local theaters and they said they couldn’t wait until it was gone... they have already been bombarded by complaints because it is sub-titled, Rated R, and (my favorite)… too graphic…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Very nice review Project… I am going to wait until the crowds thin out a little to see this one though… I talked to a few people last night who work at one of the local theaters and they said they couldn’t wait until it was gone... they have already been bombarded by complaints because it is sub-titled, Rated R, and (my favorite)… too graphic…
What are they expecting the people working in the theaters to do about that?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
What are they expecting the people working in the theaters to do about that?

Who knows... I guess they are just a convenient target...

A system of cells interlinked
Yes, it's the whole blame the messenger motif here. People with just yell at the first available target. I mean, the bible itself is graphic in many places, why can't a film dealing with biblical stories/concepts be graphic as well? History is graphic no matter what time period you look at. If people can't stomach that, tough. The Day After caused problems, Hiroshima (not a dinner film, mind you) caused problems, This film is causing problems. I take that to mean it is a powerful piece with important information contained within that many people would rather ignore, or see swept under the rug. If they don't like the issues, they can choose not to watch. I choose to see the film, and hopefully soon. These people (facist pig-dogs) that would like to control how we live our lives can take a long walk on a short pier.

Hoping to see this film soon....

_Sedai

i really want to see it, everybody should see it. i really think it will be a great movie.

Hi
Ah ok, thanks project

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Check out my review, for Christ's sake!

I'm gonna guess that was a pun.
And found he was eating his shoe.

JESUS CHRIST GOES TO THE MOVIES

I have been up for seven hours trying to write this review as best I can for you people. But it's not a review and I have failed. It says nothing about the movie that I think it should say. Don't let me fool you! This is a good movie. You should see it at cinemas. Go twice if you want. I will be.

This is my reaction to something that I am conflicted over. Do I review the film as it is? Or do I review the ability of the director to make the film he hoped to make? In this case I have done the latter. I have failed as a critic and become a foolish man of self-important theory. I have failed.

Forgive me.

Enjoy.

Oh, there was a lot to take into consideration this afternoon as I sat down to watch Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. I'm sure it's been the same for everyone, of course, but that didn't make it any easier for me. How could I look at the film objectively when along with everyone else in the world I'd been hearing about it for months and months on end? It didn't help that I'd been too busy to see it on opening day. The pundits had already begun to do their thing. Everyone had an opinion, and by Hell they wanted to share it with me. So, what's a guy to do?

Admittedly, I'd been really good with this one. I'd not read any reviews or anything and I'd even refrained from talking about it to others in relaxed and social settings. It was interesting to note, then, as I waltzed into the cinema, that I felt sort of...tingly. I couldn't help but feel that I was lining up for a scary amusement park ride that I [quite surprisingly, given the circumstances] knew very little about.

And it's interesting that I use this analogy because an amusement park ride and The Passion of the Christ ultimately have quite a lot in common. To say this at such an early stage in my reflection, however, would be to misconstrue how I felt about the film. There are a lot of bases that need to be covered, because I had a lot of reactions to this movie.

And note, just now, that I called it a movie.

I wrote recently that the world has started mistaking "good movies" for "high-art," and I used the primary example of Peter Jackson and The Lord of the Rings to illustrate this. I don't think Jackson himself has made this mistake [his intention, as far as I can tell, was never to make anything other than "popcorn flicks"], but the world at large has. As far as intention goes, Jackson was successful [and kudos to him for that].

And therein lies the rub of the whole matter. One must judge a film on the intentions of its maker, and for all its strong points [and I'll get to them], the thing with The Passion of the Christ is that the finished film does not completely achieve what I think Mel Gibson set out to.

And like it or not, it all comes down to the violence. The Passion of the Christ, as you have no doubt heard, is a very violent movie. Disturbingly violent. Unthinkably violent. Until you've seen just how violent this picture is, I don't think you can comprehend what those of us who have are talking about. We're not just talking about nails through hands and feet and flesh and stuff [and that's what I was expecting, let's be honest]. We're talking about whipping and flaying and scourging with metal whips and graphically, graphically so.

Now, I'm not saying that there's "too much" violence in the movie. Don't for a minute think that I thought the violence was excessive. There's a lot of it, yes, but I don't kid myself with the notion that punishment was any less graphic at that point in history than Gibson presented it in the movie. Actually, in reality it was probably worse. The thing is, however, that the violence, though accurate, really gets in the way of everything else. Or rather, it would do if there was more to get in the way of.

Yes, despite its subject matter, there's really not that much to The Passion of the Christ. It's sorta like Gladiator with Jesus. Besides the wonderful flashbacks to "classic moments" from the New Testament, Gibson's movie pretty much is its violence – which would be fine if we were talking about Kill Bill, but we're not. The Passion of the Christ is a story about the Son of God, and when your intentions are as "pure" as those of Gibson, then there really should be a difference between the two. What the movie lacks is complexity of theme.

So, yes. The problem for me was simply one of intention and complexity [which are, in essence, co-dependents]. Gibson set out to make a thought-provoking film about Christ's final hours and left out the thought-provoking part in the process [though not entirely, so please read on]. The movie, for me, didn't provoke thought because it didn't explore its themes in a way that was [overly] inclusive of its audience. If you encourage a student to conduct his own science experiments then he's going to learn more than the student who's forced to copy notes from a textbook. A film has to be a guided exploration of its theme, not a string of unsupported blanket statements. Does that make sense?

It's not that the film feels arrogant or preachy, but that it feels...well, very sure about its "message". Not that being sure is a bad thing. It's not. It's just very hard for me to describe in words, because it's a very fine line that's being trodden.

Look at Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ to see what I'm getting at. Where The Passion of the Christ says, "Jesus died for our sins and this is what it meant," Last Temptation goes one step further and asks us, "Why did Jesus for our sins and what does that mean?" Gibson's movie chooses to "state" as opposed to "ask," "explore," and [in terms of its audience] "include". There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, it's just a personal preference thing. Gibson's faith is there on the screen fully-formed, while Scorsese's being to appear the more we search [with him] for it. Personally, I like to participate as much as I like to observe.

And so that's my first problem with the movie. In wanting to make statements and draw conclusions without discussing how they were reached or what they entail, Gibson automatically forfeits a great deal of his film's complexity [and its potential] in the process. It becomes, like The Lord of the Rings, a simple morality tale – good versus evil, with Jesus representing the good. However, it's not as though The Lord of the Rings doesn't work despite this. As I've discussed, Peter Jackson never intended to do anything other than what he did. Because of the type of films they are, because of their genre and their purpose, they need not be morally complex. The Passion of the Christ is not The Lord of the Rings, however, and personally, I think Gibson intended for the film to be "more" than just a popcorn movie. I think he intended for it to be "high-art". But "high-art" must, must, must be more complex than The Passion of the Christ is. Gibson, as I've said, wants to be thought-provoking and confronting, but there's a thin line between "confronting" and "shocking," and The Passion of the Christ falls on the wrong side of it.

When one watches Lars von Trier's Dogville, the ideas he explodes are "confronting". They're difficult. When one watches The Passion of the Christ, however, the ideas are surprisingly "safe" and it’s the visuals that are difficult. The impact upon the audience, then, is not cerebral but visceral. Look at it this way: will seeing a man get crucified really make you re-evaluate your values and belief systems? I'll bet it doesn't. It takes you out of your comfort zone, sure, but it does so without forcing you to ask yourself any of the questions that matter. The Passion of the Christ is "shocking," but it's not "confronting".

And I can't help but feel that if the movie had been as anti-Semitic as people many presumed it might be, then it would've probably been more confronting than it actually was as well. And that really could've been interesting. Of course, the movie does, let it be said, do the whole visceral thing very, very well, but I'm absolutely convinced that Gibson wanted to do more than just shock his audience with a whole lot of blood, and therein lies the ultimate rub. You must be able to judge a film on the intentions of its maker. If there was more to Gibson's movie than its violence for violence's sake [in other words, if there was an intricate and detailed discussion in there about why Christ died for us and not just how] maybe then the film could be considered more than just a collection of aesthetically pretty [if not gory] pictures and simple moral statements.

However, though the film is not a masterpiece, it's not a failure either. To be honest, I liked it very much. As far as the realising of Gibson's directorial vision goes, in my mind the film really can't be considered a success. His intentions aside, however, and it's an engaging and shocking ride. The film's use of cinematic technique is a no-holds-barred affair. Gibson uses slow-motion photography like it's going out of fashion and the make-up is some of the most remarkable you'll ever see.

But you know what? The best thing about this movie is its story. It's a killer. As I watched, I couldn't help but appreciate, for one of the first times in my life, the fact that I went to a Catholic primary school. As I watched, I realised that for eight years, I had been subjected to one of the greatest pieces of literature – fictional, Gospel or otherwise – ever written: the Bible. It was such a remarkable thing to be able sit and watch as the Stations of the Cross were each addressed in turn on the screen, and to understand what was actually happening and what it meant [especially as Gibson wasn't really addressing those things too much]. I was particular impressed by the handling of Simon, and when he stared into Christ's eyes at the summit of the mountain, I found that I was incredibly moved.

I also really liked the use of flashbacks. The scenes depicting the Last Supper were the most emotionally engaging of the picture as far as I was concerned, and I couldn't help but wish that Gibson had focused more on the life of Jesus than solely on his Passion. Yes, the film would've probably been less unique in its focus if this had been the case, but there would've also been much more depth to it as well. I really liked Jim Caviezel's portrayal of Jesus, and would have loved it had he been given a greater chance to explore the role. There was something undeniably beautiful about him that was hidden underneath all that blood. Just like with the movie.

But them's the brakes. Oh, well.

I had a discussion with someone recently about the Bible's merits as a story [specifically in regards to the Gospels, though Exodus is awesome too]. The thing that most people don't realise is that the thing's really worth reading. Whether you're a believer or not, the story's a good one. And that's what's so infuriating about The Passion of the Christ. It's been founded on a great story, but has wasted absolute gobs of potential. It's all a matter of complexity and intention, and Gibson didn't achieve what he set out to [or at least, not in my opinion].

Moral simplicity is all very good and well if you're a Hobbit, but Jesus Christ was not one. Mel Gibson has made a good, solid movie, but not a piece of "high-art". And as he set out to do the latter, he has ultimately failed.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Reading Slay's review of the film raised a few question marks for me, and this review - because it is a review and a very good one too - straightens them out as well as enlarges them a bit at the same time. Once again, I haven't seen this film yet but Silver's and Slay's reviews confirm some of the thoughts I have had about this film. Thoughts about Gibson, as a relatively religious guy, preaching for the choir in a way, let to say preaching in a very powerful and effective way. At the same time, when talking about intentions, the title is The Passion of the Christ and the film obviously is about the passion of the Christ, meaning the torture that Jesus suffered. Perhaps Gibson believes that christians have forgotten or don't understand how much torment and humiliation that Jesus actually suffered before dying for our sins. Like a wake-up-call in form of a punch in the face.

...I wish it would come to Sweden soon so I can rightfully discuss this with you guys...

Oh, and isn't it amazing what an impact cinema has today? I mean, it's all there in the bible. Whether you are a believing christian or not you can read about this and react to it every day, but it takes a Hollywood production by Mel Gibson to create this kind of stir. The final and permanent death of traditional literature?

I had to seek out a site that allowed personal reviews and you guys were the lucky recepients!

I saw "The Passion" last night. I can without a shadow of a doubt rate it the single most powerful movie I have ever had the privilege to see. Notice the word privilige? I am not a "Bible Thumper". I never have been and I would be pressed to think I'll become one. I am now, however, fully aware.

Part of me believes the effectiveness of Mel's sermon is based on our times. I pondered my trips to Easter masses or Xmas, you know the holidays most of us feel "obligated" to go to church. This isn't the same story - no wonder I never paid it the respect it was owed. Church seems to sugar coat the story to make it easier to swallow. Imagine your local preacher saying "Jesus' blood was spilled across the streets in your name! Jesus endured the ridicule, taunting and merciless bloodshed of the very men he was there to save. Jesus laid helpless to mans wrath as his Ribs lay exposed only to glimmer the hope to join his Father!" There is a power conveyed in Gibson's film that is unrivaled by any Sunday session. The gruesome horrific truth of it all "keeps it real" for todays society of comic-book-action-films ( I saw Spidey 2 trialer prior to The Passion, that was wierd). I was forced to realize my exsistence and worth right there in a theatre of 200+. We all looked to each other as if we'd been at the crucifixtion itself. Words can not describe this film! Feelings are the only thing that make this a must see for anyone. Many have asked me to describe the movie when all you can do is describe the experience.

It was Mel Gibson's own search for spirituality that has brought us this overwhelming film. We are all mostly aware of the story of Christ. Most of us have simply never taken the time to appreciate it. This movie helps you to realize the undaunting task Jesus was here to perform - To die for mans sins. It damn near forces you to appreciate the movie and everyhting it represents. Jesus didn't ask for his life to be laid out the way ot was, he accepted it willfully and knowingly with what was laid before him.

Movie Studios and Distributors turned Mel away as he sought support to make this film - shame on them. Mel attracted a cast of no significant star power and made it something very special for everyone involved even the viewers. I commend Mel for braving the odds to create this film. He deserves every red cent he earns from this - though I feel money was in no way a motivator - shame on those who believe so.

My thoughts are taking me all over the road about this movie but one quick note: The Anti-Semitic Crap is just that. Anyone you can deny that Jesus was persecuted and torured by his own people, Jews, they are wrong. They are living in denial and simply fear being viewed as barabric savages walking the earth in today's society. Get over it. Its a petty argument diluting a larger message.

Impressive Silver. I disagree slightly, but that figures. I hope you write more for the forum.