Suggestions for future countdowns

Tools    

A few more types of films not yet done (some of which have been put forward multiple times in the past): Action/Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Sport, War

Thrillers haven't been done and that's a pretty wide variety of films, especially after they were cut from Horror list.

Noir/Neo-Noir's has proven to be a fertile ground for our Hall of Fames

00's/10's I would hold off on decades because you aren't going to have a new on in 9 more years

Action/Adventure would be interesting

Foreign Regions
France - you can easily get 100
Japan - you can easily get 100
Italy - you can easily get 100
Europe (Sweden, Germany, Russia, Spain)
Asia (South Korea, Iran, India, China, Taiwan)
Central/South America (50)
Australia (50)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Defining Top 100 of the 2000's (2000-2009) would be great for the next countdown initiative.

How soon can be this started?

I'd also suggest to start updating of the Decade Lists (90's / 80's / 70's / 60's).
You know, people constantly add watched films as well as new users are joined around here.

The plan is to discuss (and possibly vote) on which list to do next as soon as the current one is done, which I think should be in about a month and a half. People can lobby whenever, though!

We could always mix it up a bit and do Top 100s of films made in a year ending in 0;1; 2; 3 etc...

Think

Defining Top 100 of the 2000's (2000-2009) would be great for the next countdown initiative.

I'd also suggest to start updating of the Decade Lists (90's / 80's / 70's / 60's).
You know, people constantly add watched films as well as new users are joined around here.
The countdowns take time, often taking 6 months from start to finish...so that's only 2 list per year that we generally do.

Yeah, over half the time is the watch period where people watch films and consider what to put on their list, and part of that is less for watching than "it's really really hard to get people to do stuff, even stuff they wanna do, so we need a long signup period to get a good number of ballots."

What about establishing Year Countdown Charts?

During the last few days, I was about to start 2000 Film Contest within the forum then I noticed the Suggestion section.

It is about defining Top 20 of a given Year.
I think, two weeks for supplying personal charts, third week for calculations and start revealing (can be a month as a last resort).

I think, this will even help preparing the decade lists.

Will you join this initiative?
Some opinions?
📽

I just came up with an idea and thought to share it, I would like to see top 100 Female lead movies, that would be interesting. It's something different at least then doing a genre or decade list.

If we were to do this the right way, it should be female lead front in center, it can be single lead (Wonder Woman) or even duo lead (Bridesmaids)

None of this the female is secondary and the movie is mostly male on male for example Speed. I say it's only exceptional if the female is the main focus while the male are secondary like for example Mean Girls.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I think a countdown of little known or obscure movies would be a lot of fun (ie. less than a certain number of votes on imdb). Even if it wasn't an official, full length countdown, it would still be fun for someone to do.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Re: little known or obscure. Not the same thing, but I still like the "Only Films That Haven't Been On Official Countdowns" idea.
This would be better I agree.

I think a countdown of little known or obscure movies would be a lot of fun (ie. less than a certain number of votes on imdb). Even if it wasn't an official, full length countdown, it would still be fun for someone to do.
Re: little known or obscure. Not the same thing, but I still like the "Only Films That Haven't Been On Official Countdowns" idea.
I like both of those ideas, especially if we're going to keep these countdowns fresh and viable. Hopefully we could do something like that after the war countdown is over.

These are millions of titles, it can't work just like that.
Needs additional criteria, i.e. Best Movies of the 90's with less than 20K votes in IMDB.
Anyway, it going to turn into English language films with less than 20K votes.

These are millions of titles, it can't work just like that.
Needs additional criteria, i.e. Best Movies of the 90's with less than 20K votes in IMDB.
Anyway, it going to turn into English Foreign language films with less than 20K votes.
There I fixed it for you

There would need to be a convenient way to check if movies were on previous countdowns. Is there? Would there be?

It would be interesting and unpredictable countdown.

There would need to be a convenient way to check if movies were on previous countdowns. Is there? Would there be?
Yes: right now on the Lists page, the search box shows anything on any list, and every previous "official" countdown is there, so at worst it would just require glancing around to see whether it was on any of those.

That said, it would be relatively easy for me to whip up a special search that did that legwork for everyone, and perhaps even integrate it into the ballot submission tool itself so it would throw an error for anything used before (the way it throws an error on decade lists if the year isn't within range).

Can't speak for others, but the idea tickles me for a few reasons:

1) It'd be a list with TONS of films people haven't heard of, so it'd be great for discovery.

2) It'd almost feel like a game, finding films that haven't shown up before. It'd be interactive and creative in a way the other lists haven't been, to my mind.

In short, it just sounds fun to me, and it'd probably be the weirdest and least predictable list we've done, so curiosity alone makes me like the idea.
Whatever it is, I don't see how feasible it is as a list, in the form and voting manner we have done all of the others. It is too broad and undefined. I suspect you would get tons of entries with one or two votes and just by virtue of the exercise it would be almost impossible for a title to appear on ten or twenty ballots. If it was popular enough to do that it would have already appeared on one of the previous lists.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Whatever it is, I don't see how feasible it is as a list, in the form and voting manner we have done all of the others. It is too broad and undefined. I suspect you would get tons of entries with one or two votes and just by virtue of the exercise it would be almost impossible for a title to appear on ten or twenty ballots. If it was popular enough to do that it would have already appeared on one of the previous lists.
This is very possible. My hope (perhaps too hopeful) is that it would make the discussion and viewing period a bigger part of the balloting than usual, and emphasize discovery and even some mild collusion to ward off this.