Halloween (1978) vs. The Warriors (1979)

Tools    

Halloween (1978) vs. The Warriors (1979)
55.00%
11 votes
Halloween
35.00%
7 votes
The Warriors
10.00%
2 votes
Tough Call
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Which one do you like better?

For me it's a tough call I like both movies. Feel free to share your opinions.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I've always enjoyed The Warriors, but have never been terribly in love with it.

Halloween is perfection.

There is something rather oddball about The Warriors which makes it endearing (e.g., the deep commitment to the costumes of the various rival gangs, the hammy acting), but which also makes it wacky enough to never be even as grounded. Halloween has an even sillier premise (to the extent that we see Michael as having supernatural powers), but the film is more grounded in it's reality.

The Warriors is that cool film that you wanted to make sure you had seen when you were 13 years old. Halloween is a film that changed the genre. It's up there with Chainsaw and The Exorcist.

But that is not to say that we should not cheer when Cyrus asks "Can you dig it?"

There is something rather oddball about The Warriors which makes it endearing (e.g., the deep commitment to the costumes of the various rival gangs, the hammy acting),

This would normally appeal to me more than it does in this film. I find its oddball moments sort of dry. It's action a little limp. To me the entire film is about how amazing the Baseball Furies look.

When I was young I wanted to grow up to be a Baseball Furie, just from a very vague memory of watching the movie as a kid. It seemed like a noble profession.

Halloween is a film that changed the genre. It's up there with Chainsaw and The Exorcist.

For relatively mainstream horror, these are probably the three that have altered the genre more than any other the last 40 years. And all for very different reasons. You could probably trace back any good horror movie from the last few decades directly back to one of them.

This would normally appeal to me more than it does in this film. I find its oddball moments sort of dry. It's action a little limp. To me the entire film is about how amazing the Baseball Furies look.
I think the appeal of the film is that it is an excursion into the underworld. It's perhaps more about suspense than action (our heroes, like Ulysses, must run a fantastical gauntlet just to get home). It's the chase from the viewpoint of the deer. I think that kind of makes it. It's vaguely like After Hours or Vamp or Into the Night in being one of these odd nocturnal fantasies about the world under the world that manifests itself in dark alleys ("the freaks come out at night," as the old song goes).A Midsummer Night's Dream set in gritty 70s New York.

A more direct connection would probably be to the underworld of John Wick. The difference is that where Wick is boujee, bespoke, and boutique, The Warriors represent the the blue collar crowd.

When I was young I wanted to grow up to be a Baseball Furie, just from a very vague memory of watching the movie as a kid. It seemed like a noble profession.
I think we all wanted to be in one of the gangs.

I seen both Halloween and The Warriors first run at the theater. I found Halloween average OK scary, it didn't do much for me. Now The Warriors first fun was electric! I left the theater feeling like I was ready for a street fight! And bear in mind I was just a goofy kid but the adrenaline rush was real.

The real showdown is CLUE vs Murder by Death

These two movies may not be a good showdown, since we're basically putting a popular movie (Halloween) against a less popular movie (The Warriors).

I only picked these two against each other since they are two of my favorites movies from the 70s and wanted to see what others thought on which one they liked better. Tough choice for me, both films has some good tension in it, it makes you want to see what happens next. I even tried to compare which one had the best opening and ending as they are both good ones,

I think Halloween has the slight edge for the better opening while The Warriors has the slight edge for the better ending, that song In The City by Joe Walsh playing at the end of the movie puts the icing on the cake for me.

I seen both Halloween and The Warriors first run at the theater. I found Halloween average OK scary, it didn't do much for me. Now The Warriors first fun was electric! I left the theater feeling like I was ready for a street fight! And bear in mind I was just a goofy kid but the adrenaline rush was real.
Ready for a street fight while In The City by Joe Walsh is playing at the end of the Warriors

I also want to add both films had good soundtracks too,

My mom and I watched The Warriors together a few weeks ago. It has so little depth and character to it that all we could really get out of it was the humor of its dated cheese.

My mom and I watched The Warriors together a few weeks ago. It has so little depth and character to it that all we could really get out of it was the humor of its dated cheese.

Tut, tut. Gentle handling of the memberberries, please.