Noir
35.09%
20 votes
Musicals
22.81%
13 votes
Romance
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death would probably both be relevant for this countdown. The former more-so (IMO) and the latter (though possibly both) would probably be something @gbgoodies should check out, if she hasn't already seen them.
Both amazing films. Tempted to put both in my list. If I had to pick one it would be a matter of life and death (the visuals and set designs are out of this world). I think it was called Stairway to Heaven in the USA because they didn't want to release a film with the word death in the title relating to war.

I've seen some of his war films...this one is a lock on my ballot 49th Parallel (1941). It's well done and a very different war story as it's told from the perspective of a German WW II U-boat crew who end up getting stranded in north eastern Canada. Then they have to make their way to the U.S. border while evading capture... as the U.S. at the time the movie was made was still neutral. Good film!
I had no idea this was Michael Powell movie. I will have to check it out.

I've only seen two Powell's myself (Peeping Tom and Black Narcissus), but I'd love to check up on more of his stuff.
The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus are my favorite Powell films.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death would probably both be relevant for this countdown. The former more-so (IMO) and the latter (though possibly both) would probably be something @gbgoodies should check out, if she hasn't already seen them.

I've seen A Matter of Life and Death, and I liked it, but it's been a while since I saw it. It's on my rewatch list, so it could make my list after a rewatch.

I haven't seen The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, but I added it to my watchlist.

Thank you for the recommendations. (I suspect that most of my list is likely to be war/romance movies, but we'll just have to wait and see.)

Looking forward to it. I feel like scum for making the suggestion since I don't think I'd be able to run it, but it would be nice to have another group watch thread like we had for the 2010's list.

Looking forward to it. I feel like scum for making the suggestion since I don't think I'd be able to run it, but it would be nice to have another group watch thread like we had for the 2010's list.
The Group Watch idea should be a staple event for these countdowns, someone should run it again @SpelingError it was your idea hint, hint

Glad you guys like the Group Watch idea. I'll leave it up to Keyser if he wants to run it, but if he does, I'll definitely participate in it.

@KeyserCorleone What do you think about the Group Watch?

Well I didn't really take part in the last group watch, and I personally have my own schedule for war movies. But I don't really mind if other people are part of one. The problem herein is that this is my first time running a countdown and I need to research this some more before I make a final decision.

Well I didn't really take part in the last group watch, and I personally have my own schedule for war movies. But I don't really mind if other people are part of one. The problem herein is that this is my first time running a countdown and I need to research this some more before I make a final decision.
That's all cool. So then it's OK if someone else does the Group Watch thing?

Is it just picking a few nominated movies and putting them through a generator, picking one every three days? It would be efficient to hold this at the same time as the prelims, but I'd rather get the prelims at least set up before the group watch.

Is it just picking a few nominated movies and putting them through a generator, picking one every three days? It would be efficient to hold this at the same time as the prelims, but I'd rather get the prelims at least set up before the group watch.
Yeah, the idea is for it to go on throughout the preliminary thread.

I just realized something. As much as I would absolutely LOVE a noir movies countdown after the war one, why not have a mysteries one?