The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I was hesitant to vote in this one because I just care less and less about contemporary film every year and I realize that I only saw maybe 100 movies from that decade and it was a bit of a struggle to come up with 25 I thought were worthy (though I have since realized I forgot a couple that would have rounded out the list nicely). Considering I only have 5 films from the last 3 years I've been impressed with and how few I've even seen, I may have to sit out the 2020s one.
You don't have to care about the films you nominate if you don't want to. I know how you feel though, as I did the same with a few lists because I couldn't come up with 25 I thought list worthy. I was going to do the same time but decided to punish you all.

No, no, I just mean that if I am only seeing like 3-4 contemporary films per year, then by 2030 I will only have seen 30-40 movies that even qualify.
Still more than I've seen in the last 12 years.

Hee hee. I swear I will live to see you say you like a movie just once.
What till he posts his list, you'll see 25 of them.

Oh, the list? No, of course I've not seen either of them.

180 points, 13 lists
The Avengers
Director

Joss Whedon, 2012

Starring

Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth

186 points, 15 lists
Django Unchained
Director

Quentin Tarantino, 2012

Starring

Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington

Trivia

The Avengers - Robert Downey Jr. kept food hidden all over the lab set, and apparently nobody could find where it was, so they just let him continue doing it. In the movie, that's his actual food he's offering, and when he was eating, it wasn't scripted, he was just hungry.
Django Unchained - When Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) smashes his hand on the dinner-table, DiCaprio did accidentally crush a small stemmed glass with his palm and did really begin to bleed. He ignored it, stayed in character, and continued with the scene. Quentin Tarantino was so impressed that he used this take in the final print, and when he called cut, the room erupted in a standing ovation. DiCaprio's hand was bandaged, and he suggested the idea of smearing blood onto the face of Kerry Washington. Tarantino and Washington both liked this, so Tarantino got some fake blood together.

-The Avengers is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my entire life. It is appalling. It's just computer animations fighting for a couple of hours.

-Django is one I need to re-watch. Like most Tarantino films after the 1990s it just didn't click with me at all. Perhaps I should give it another shot.

No votes, unsurprisingly.

What till he posts his list, you'll see 25 of them.

Oh, the list? No, of course I've not seen either of them.

Fwiw, Midnight in Paris was their #15.
So that's one of them.
If Wooly hasn't noticed, they are a big Woody Allen fan.

MoFo Reviewers

The Avengers

By far still the most fun I have had in the theater and the film I say is the best film based on pure entertainment (eeking out an old childhood favorite by a hair). The humor, the action, the scale, and the much lighter tone as compared to the Nolan Batman films makes this an absolute joy to watch for any proper fanboy. Not to mention the fact that the cast has their screen time perfectly balanced so everyone gets to shine in the movie. I could go on and on about this movie. And I did for my last top 50. So if you want the complete fanboy ramblings, here is the link to that post entry.
Read the full review here.

Django Unchained

The plot itself, like many of Tarantino's, is full of violence, gore, and controversial themes. Centring around Dr King Schulz, a bounty hunter played fabulously by Christoph Waltz, who hires Jamie Foxx's slave character Django to help him identify three brothers with a bounty on their heads. DiCaprio gives a far more assured performance than some of his others - he seems to be maturing into a very good actor, a far cry from his younger days. Samuel L. Jackson gives perhaps the best performance of the lot, though, as Stephen, one of DiCaprio's black workers, though he's a cruel and uncaring character. It's a simple enough plot that draws you in.
Read the full review here.

I wonder if it's one of the ones I went through before I edited mine twice

I was thinking Guardians of the Galaxy, but forgot that one has already been revealed.
Didn't want to say in case it was part 2.
You know, name of the song, plus 70s rock/playmix.

Pretty sure I got shown The Avengers when I was over visiting the UK some years ago and I think it was moderately enjoyable to me but as I've no recorded rating for it I'll not count it in the stats. Django Unchained was in the running for a spot on my ballot but ultimately it fell a little short.

edit: Snuck a peek at the sci-fi countdown from 2018 and apparently The Avengers was somewhat less than moderately enjoyable to me from my comment on it there - I'd trust that comment over trying to dredge something up from my overworked and underpaid memory banks these days On the plus side ..... at least I can definitely count it as seen now though

Seen: 59/74 (Own: 37/74)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

mark f

The Avengers (Joss Whedon, 2012)

Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr, Cnris Evans & Scarlett Johansson, along with some others, have to team up to either save or avenge the Earth.
Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)
but way too long

Django Unchained is a big bloated, disturbing, hilarious, satisfying, wonderful ride with two of my favorite performances in Leonardo DiCaprio's "Calvin Candie" and Samuel L. Jackson's "Stephen." Those two are scary good. Also wonderful is Don Johnson's Colonel Sanders-esque "Big Daddy" who cracks me up in every scene he's in. It's one of my all-time favorite movies so there was absolutely no way it was going to miss my ballot. I had it at #8. Great stuff.

I've never seen The Avengers and I have no desire to rectify that.

Seen: 38/74
My Ballot:
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Most Recent Review For Django Unchained:

Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)
(Rewatch)

I decided to treat myself to a big favorite that really didn't need a rewatch. I love almost everything about this movie. I love the violence and the blood. I love the dark humor - this movie seriously cracks me up every time. And I love the performances. Oh man, I love the performances.

And when I say that, I don't really mean Christoph Waltz's Oscar winning role. He was really good and so was Jamie Foxx, but it's the smaller supporting roles that really make this movie for me, especially when it comes to the movies baddies. Leonardo DiCaprio is stunningly good as Calvin Candie and brings a terrifying intensity to his mandingo-fighting slave master. And just as good is Samuel L. Jackson as perhaps the most detestable of all the characters: Candie's head slave Stephen, who is just pure evil. And then of course, there's Don Johnson as Big Daddy - who had me rolling with just about every line that came out of his Colonel Sanders looking mug.

The movie also sneaks in a few genuinely heartbreaking and infuriating scenes, but mostly it's just fun. It's just the pure satisfying fantasy of watching some really horrible people suffer in some pretty creative ways. This movie is an absolute lock for my ballot. It's just a question of how high I'll end up ranking it.

Seen: 27 - Interstellar - The movie was ok, not a big fan of space movies.

The Irishman - This movie was slow and boring for me, I was excepting more of a goodfellas type movie where alot of things would happening. I like the actors in the movie though.

The Avengers - An awesome action packed superhero movie from Marvel and #1 on my ballot list

Not Seen: 44 - Gravity, Boyhood, Incendies, The Lighthouse and Django Unchained

My Ballot so far:

#1 - The Avengers
#5 - Deadpool
#6 - Easy A
#10 - Guardians of the Galaxy
#25 - One Pointer: Purge: Election Year

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

When Guardians showed I said I have seen it two too many times. Probably have seen Avengers five too many times. Very fun theater watch, the crowd was into it, it was funny. It’s still all those things, but they all shrink in my mind a bit each watch. It’s incredible they pulled off that first phase so well, and ended it in such a satisfying way. It absolutely belongs here…but I no longer care. The longer this goes on the more I will sound like the haters.

Amazingly have only seen Django once. Think that’s the only Tarantino I can say that about. Has some incredible moments. DiCaprio and Waltz are great. Wasn’t crazy about the Jackson character. Tarantino definitely should have left himself out of this one. I don’t love the last fifteen minutes.

No votes from me.

I think The Avengers was the second MCU film I ever saw (rental. DVD? We probably still rented physical media back then).
Um. It was alright on that one viewing, but if you liked Joss Whedon type stuff from before he got cancelled, Cabin in the Woods (written by, but not directed by) was the vastly superior film from that year, and the one I would go on to actually rewatch a number of times. I can't imagine rewatching The Avengers at this point. Just because of lack of interest.
I think that concludes my thoughts on The Avengers.

Django Unchained - "I saw this movie. It was alright."

/deep thoughts and extensive film analysis

Thought Django would break the top 20 tbh... I had it at #10...

It's one of the other very very few DiCaprio performances I can watch next to Shutter Island.

I think what makes the entire movie work is Christoph Waltz.
He's an absolute powerhouse and yet remains understated and under-recognised for his role.
Like, he's so good, you almost don't realise he's there.

1: Ex Machina (2015) - 49th
2: Dredd (2012) - 42nd
3: Interstellar (2014) - 33rd
4: Bloody well better had do
5: Joker (2019) - 60th
6: 100%
7: Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8: 100%
9: The Shape of Water (2017) - 52nd
10: Django Unchained (2012) 27th
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12: 100%
13: Hopefully
14: Hopefully
15: Hopefully
16: Deadpool (2016) - 85th
17: Maybe
18: Logan (2017) - 46th
19: Probably
20: Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 79th
21: The Martian (2015) - 82nd
22: 100%
23: 100%
24: Maybe
25: Probably not

I think what makes the entire movie work is Christoph Waltz. He's an absolute powerhouse and yet remains understated and under-recognised for his role.
Christoph Waltz: Wins an Oscar
Rodent: He's under recognised!

Didn't expect for The Avengers to make it so high. Overall, not a fan of it, but here's hoping it will be the last MCU film to make this list (well, I already know the answer to this question, but you guys won't know till the end ).

Django Unchained is very good, though I haven't thought much about it since watching it. A different Tarantino film made my ballot instead.

Reply to Topic