What do you store your DVDs in?

Tools    

Radioactive Spider Blood
I've gone through three or four different shelving units, stand up things, etc, until I finally found one that I could:

a) hold all of my DVDs and leave plenty of room for more (holds up to 360 - I've got 160 or so)

b) does not fall apart when you touch it

c) looks decent in my room

All of my "real" units have been made by Atlantic.

This one is a crappy one. Don't buy it - it falls apart very easily because the rods holding the media up are barely long enough to make it in between the ends.

I can't seem to find a picture of my shelf online but it's a good unit and it holds a lot of media with room to adjust the shelves to whatever height you want.

What do you guys use?

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

I guess anywhere i can find a good space to put em in my room

I find the bigger the TV and home theater. The bigger the furniture you need to accomodate it. Which will provide more space for DVDs.

I use a very tall shelving unit that can hold up to 250-300 dvd. I don't have that many (about 112) but I'll eventually get up there.

When I moved into our house 4 years ago, my best friend is a carpenter, he build shelves on the back wall of my double garage, It did house over 500 videos, I am slowly getting rid of them and I have over 200 DVD's they only take up a small part, so I have a lot of room to expand it.

Mine are in a wine cabinet that I took the racks out of and replaced with shelves…. but I am just about out of room… so I’ve been looking for something else and am debating on having an armoire gutted and fixed with shelves… anyone have any ideas on the best way to fix the shelves or suggestions on anything else to store them in?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

You should do what I do and , in order to save space, store your DVDs (except for the really speial ones) in a nice binder. That way the discs will be compact and in one place leaving you more room for whatever is needed.

Yea but im scared that they might get damaged or something .
I hate it when a Movie Skips.

There are binders that are made to hold discs in place. No they do not get damaged unless you take them out and play with them, leave them lying all over the floor or take a sharp object and scrape them.

Originally Posted by jrs
You should do what I do and , in order to save space, store your DVDs (except for the really speial ones) in a nice binder. That way the discs will be compact and in one place leaving you more room for whatever is needed.
What about the cases? They'll still be taking up space somewhere... well, nevermind, I guess you could put em away in the basement or closet.

Where can I get on of these binders... or do you just mean something like a regular cd carrier?

You can find the binder at your local Staples, Fry's or any other major store chain that holds pages for CDs (in your case DVDs). Do not put them in a regular CD carrier case like those flimsy booklets. Get a real booklet sized binder. Make sure the spaces for DVDs has flaps to cover the rim of the DVD when placed in. It's the best way to keep them extra protected.
Again, no they will not fall out.

Why cant you just use normal bookcases? I bought 4 or 5 fairly large bookshelves from Walmart for 40 bucks a piece (canadian) and they have no problems. If you cant fit them in one bookshelf, then buy another. I can fit about 300 of my dvds in one bookshelf, the rest go on another bookshelf shared with my vhs tapes. As for putting them in cases? That defeats one of the main purposes of a killer dvd collection -- showing it off. With the cheapened prices of blank dvds lately, I have begun to burn my dvd collection onto blank dvds which I will put in cases so I wont have to use the originals. I am probably holding off on it though til the dual layer dvd burners come out, but then i will have to wait another year until the dvds get cheap enough that I can copy my collection relatively cheaply.

I wouldnt have too much of a problem selling the collection (the burnt one) and redoing it with dual layer dvds, which is probably what I will end up doing.

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
Why cant you just use normal bookcases? I bought 4 or 5 fairly large bookshelves from Walmart for 40 bucks a piece (canadian) and they have no problems. If you cant fit them in one bookshelf, then buy another. I can fit about 300 of my dvds in one bookshelf, the rest go on another bookshelf shared with my vhs tapes. As for putting them in cases? That defeats one of the main purposes of a killer dvd collection -- showing it off. With the cheapened prices of blank dvds lately, I have begun to burn my dvd collection onto blank dvds which I will put in cases so I wont have to use the originals. I am probably holding off on it though til the dual layer dvd burners come out, but then i will have to wait another year until the dvds get cheap enough that I can copy my collection relatively cheaply.

I wouldnt have too much of a problem selling the collection (the burnt one) and redoing it with dual layer dvds, which is probably what I will end up doing.

For a person who has absolutely no room in the house for more shelves that's a negative. Alao, with having the DVDs that I own (burned or not) I am not going to waste my money on another player for no reason. All this talk of new this and new that is all blah blah blah. I can just keep all the original DVDs (the special ones) in their cases on my shelves and burn the rest.

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
Why cant you just use normal bookcases?

Right now my main problem is space too… I already have the armoire and really don't want to get rid of it because it's been handed down in the family... I was looking on line earlier at storage units and think I might have figured out how to make it work using drawers instead of shelves… not sure how many it would hold then, but it should be quiet a few...

Didn't see it.
I've got one of those DVD players that holds 300, but we filled it up. Right now the extras are in CD storage binder thingies. (That's the technical term.) At some point we'll buy another player that holds 300+.

Im curious how many dvds you own?

I guess 300 isnt all that difficult to fill up putting in the extras dvds. Do you have a list on your comp of all your dvds? (something like dvd profiler or media organizer?)

Im a dvd collector myself (although ive stopped for the past couple months so i can upgrade my home theatre system -- got the price tag and its upwards of 10000 )