Thoughts on the new Manchurian Candidate remake?

Tools    

Anybody checked out the preview for the remake of Manchurian Candidate? I'm hesitant about them re-doing an already great film. but i like denze, i think they may pull it off

Good cast, and a once reliably inspired director, but after the needless and lifeless Charade remake Demme just did coupled with a very average looking preview, I'm definitely gonna pass on this new Manchurian Candidate. The original is rightly a classic (though Seven Days in may and Seconds are probably better overall films), I'll stick with it for now.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ive heard its a worthless movie from the few online reviews I have read.

I am interested in seeing how they remake the scene where they are all lined up like guinea pigs in front of the evil corporations and forced to kill each other.

I will probably boycot the film though, as there is absolutely NO need for a remake, the original still speaks volumes today and it cant possibly be done well with todays film practices. Add to that there completely retarded changing of the bad guys, which is about equal to the complete bastardization of the Iliad by Troy.

I just watched the original on DVD a few nights ago, and I can't imagine this story without the Cold War setting. I'm curious to find out how they tried to revise it, but I'm not curious enough to rush out to the theater.

Didn't see it.
The original is one of my favorites. I'm skeptical. I'm not sure how anyone could be as good as Angela Lansbury; and I'm not sure I'm a fan of anything else she's ever done.

this movie looks like it might have some potential, its hard to remake a great movie. i just checked out this game at www.manchuriangame.com, it seems pretty cool, kinda like the create your own adventure games from a while back!

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
I will probably boycot the film though, as there is absolutely NO need for a remake
Unless you want to turn a story about the dangers of Communism into a movie about the dangers of Capitalism. And I'm sure it's a total coincidence that a movie about a puppet President controlled by corporate interests is coming out in this particular election year. Real subtle, Hollywood.

Doesn't matter, though; blatant "boogieman" political films masquerading as entertainment generally bomb; see: AntiTrust.

Is anyone else tired of this "corporations as bad guys" schtick? It's so very Zoog Disney.

Originally Posted by keriberi
this movie looks like it might have some potential, its hard to remake a great movie. i just checked out this game at www.manchuriangame.com, it seems pretty cool, kinda like the create your own adventure games from a while back!
My friends are all into that game right now. I'm gonna check it out soon.

Originally Posted by kikyr
My friends are all into that game right now. I'm gonna check it out soon.

That's cool! Yeah, all my friends are into it now too! My brother is the worst though! Glad that you're checking it out. Let me know what you think!

I love the old one, I would have to see the trailer first.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Yoda
Unless you want to turn a story about the dangers of Communism into a movie about the dangers of Capitalism.
Erm, i've only ever seen a bit of it when i was a nipper, but isn't it as critical of McCarthyism as it is of Communism?

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
it satirizes no particular target -- left, right, foreign, domestic -- but the very notion that politics can be taken at face value.
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatm...candidate.html

Originally Posted by Yoda
And I'm sure it's a total coincidence that a movie about a puppet President controlled by corporate interests is coming out in this particular election year. Real subtle, Hollywood.

Doesn't matter, though; blatant "boogieman" political films masquerading as entertainment generally bomb; see: AntiTrust.

Is anyone else tired of this "corporations as bad guys" schtick? It's so very Zoog Disney.
I'm suspicious that this version isn't going to be as balanced as the original, but i think the 'using-public-hysteria-to-facilitate-unquestioned-power-wielding' theme is very relevant today. However, it would be more valid, within the film's structure, to keep the 'enemy force' as the other side which is trying to 'hypnotise' their way to their desired result. (i didn't know it the 'bad guys' were going to be corporates).

I'm tired of ineffective political and sociological criticisms like Wag the Dog (which said more about producers than it did about presidents).

But i'd love to think this film could raise some valid questions about the influences industries can have on geopolitical descion-making... i'll just be surprised if that's what we get

I saw it today and I thought it was as good as the original. Go see it!

Originally Posted by film_man1895
I saw it today and I thought it was as good as the original. Go see it!
Agreed... this is definitely a worthy remake.

this was an excellent film...denzel washington and liev schrieber are wonderful with a standout performance by meryl streep..film is a quick mover and updated from the original

I actually think this is better than the original if only by a little bit.

Well, I saw itand enjoyed it. Intriguing and exciting. With me, it's "Are the actor's good?" "Did I like the film?' "Was it a good story?" I don't watch it and get into political and communism etc....mumbo jumbo. Either you like it or not.
It was kind of interesting to know that Denzel (one of favorite actors) hasn't watched the original, which was really good. He was able to grasp the character in his own way.

On another note, I heard Frank Sinatra's daughter state on the Today Show, that her father always wanted someone to replay his character. She knows he would be proud of Denzel as much as she is today she claimed.