The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Well worth seeing his wife's documentary Hearts of Darkness:A Filmmakers Apocalypse.
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is a great doc, and a must-see for anybody who likes filmmaking, not just fans of Apocalypse Now.

However, it isn't "his wife's" film. Eleanor narrates it, mostly reading from her journal (which has been published in its entirety, BTW), and she is responsible for a lot of the archival footage, but it was assembled, added to, and directed by George Hickenlooper and Fax Bahr.

But if for some reason MoFos haven't seen it, stop what you're doing right now and go watch it.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Apocalypse Now... in my book with A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I just don't get it. Well, I get it, I get the film... but I just don't know what people see in it.

Ever since I first saw it when I was 17 or 18, Apocalypse Now has been a fixture in my top five favorite movies of all-time. Naturally, it was #1 on my list. I thought it was guaranteed a top five placement on the countdown, with a decent chance at top 3. I'd like to write about my feelings for it and how much I adore it, but right now I'm too distraught about the INJUSTICE of this #9 placement.

Excuse me while I strip to down to my underwear and punch a mirror.

Probably the best film to make the top ten. Im a bit dissatisfied that stuff like A Clockwork Orange is higher and i genuinely hope that Alien or The Godfather takes it down.

Anyway its a
film for me.

I had Apocalypse Now as my number 4! I thought it would be a little bit higher in the top 10, but 9 is of course a wonderful result! It's one of the most powerful and ambitious films ever made about the darkly psychological consequences of war. When I saw it for the first time, I was in a strange kind of trance. I was completely pulled in.
It's one of those films that I admire a lot, while also having a very strong connection with it. This film shows, for me, Francis Ford Coppola at the absolute height of his power. He's a fantastic director, but in the end, I think he was especially strong at making large films that portray big ideas. Apocalypse Now might very well be the film that drew him away from huge projects for a while (because of the extreme disasters he went through while making it), but at the same time it's absolutely amazing how he was able to still make one of the most significant and praised films of all time out of this seemingly doomed project. Apocalypse Now truly is a filmmaking masterpiece in every sense of the word.

-----------------------------------------------

1. Top 5, I hope
2. Top 10, maybe top 5
3. Top 5, probably top 3
4. Apocalypse Now (1979) - #9
5. Manhattan (1979) - #52
6. The Long Goodbye (1973) - #19
7. Carnal Knowledge (1971) -
8. Top 3
9. Five Easy Pieces (1970) - #53
10. Barry Lyndon (1975) - #16
11. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) - #22
12. All That Jazz (1979) - #96
13. Le Cercle Rouge (1970) - #60
14. Nashville (1975) - #43
15. Network (1976) - #32
16. The Sting (1973) - #57
17. F for Fake (1973) - #82
18. Amarcord (1973) - #122
19. MASH (1970) - #78
20. The Heartbreak Kid (1972) - #130
21. The Conformist (1970) - #71
22. New York, New York (1977) -
23. Night Moves (1975) -
24. Eraserhead (1977) - #26
25. Farewell, My Lovely (1975) - 1 Point!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I need to rewatch Apocalypse Now

I've only seen it once and give it
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Apocalypse Now is the 11th movie from my list to show; I had it at #13. It's a movie that has always left me wanting a little more, but I just find it awesome to sit back at watch. I'm surprised it's not higher.

My list-
#3 Saturday Night Fever (87)
#4 Animal House (66)
#5 The Warriors (37)
#7 The Exorcist (12)
#8 Coming Home
#10 The Deer Hunter (38)
#12 Little Big Man (61)
#13 Apocalypse Now (9)
#14 Mean Streets (77)
#15 Deliverance (51)
#16 Smokey and the Bandit (124)
#17 Mikey and Nicky
#18 The Beguiled
#19 Marathon Man (73)
#20 The Gauntlet
#21 The Marriage of Maria Braun
#22 The Last House on the Left
#23 Straw Dogs (83)
#24 3 Women (126)

And now that makes fifteen of Deadite’s picks.

1. Marathon Man (#73)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#14)
12. Walkabout (#67)
13. The Conversation (#18)
15. Carrie (#36)
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
20. Annie Hall (#30)
21. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
22. Apocalypse Now (#9)
24. The Godfather Part II (#10)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	#DApoc.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	16837  

I watched Apocalypse Now a while back. Gave it a nine then, but think that may have been a bit generous. Enjoyed it, but wouldn't have had it at #9.

Apocalypse Now was my #8. Best war movie ever. Every stop along the river has something that makes it special. I am not like some here though. I could certainly see why this movie is not for everybody. It is dark and uncomfortable for more than a fair share of its duration. @Holden, I do think it is time to pop in Heart Of Darkness which has been sitting in my nice Apocalypse blu-ray set untouched for way too long now.

I had Apocalypse Now as my number 2. I ADORE the film, and it is in my top ten favorite movies of all time, and it is my favorite war movie. It is also my favorite Francis Ford Coppola movie (which I know is sacrilegious to some). Not to mention my favorite writer John Milius wrote it, and Heart of Darkness is a fascinating documentary. I am really surprised it is only at number 9.

Seen 75/92

My list: 15

1. ?
2. Apocalypse Now (9)
3. Stalker (20)
4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
6. Pink Flamingos (1972)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
9. Coffy (1973)
10. ?
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
14. ?
15. Mad Max (70)
16. Foxy Brown (1974)
17. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (13)
18. Death Wish (1974)
19. The Exorcist (12)
20. ?
21. Young Frankenstein (15)
22. ?
23. ?
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

However, it isn't "his wife's" film. Eleanor narrates it, mostly reading from her journal (which has been published in its entirety, BTW), and she is responsible for a lot of the archival footage, but it was assembled, added to, and directed by George Hickenlooper and Fax Bahr
yes sorry you're right (of course!) I always just think it's her film cos of what she must've experienced seeing the crew and actors go through that troubled shoot, but especially seeing her husband almost unravel under the stress.

This film definately isn't high enough in the list. If as everyone thinks A Clockwork Orange is higher then it's a travesty I say!

This film definately isn't high enough in the list. If as everyone thinks A Clockwork Orange is higher then it's a travesty I say!
I agree. But then, Clockwork Orange making the list is as well.

I think I prefer the documentary Heart Of Darkness to the film Apocalypse Now. I do like AN, but not as much as I did in my teens and twenties. In my teens this was probably in my top 100.

Apocalypse Now was 17th on my list, although once again it probably could have been higher. It used to be one of my very favourite films, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Here's what I wrote when I first saw it, it's not greatly written (there's bits I look at and think: I wrote that? I was still quite a film n00b then) but it's interesting to see how much I genuinely liked it when I first saw it. I used to rate films too highly back then and I hadn't watched many great films, but I have seen it a few times now and it's definitely still great.

I also own Hearts of Darkness on Blu-ray (as part of the Apocalypse Now set) but haven't got round to it yet, I will try to correct that soon.

After I had watched Psycho I decided to watch Apocalypse Now for similar reasons. Both were two of the highest films on my watch list and recent posts by a member on here persuaded me not to delay my viewings and finally watch them. The work of Hitchcock made me want to see Psycho after immediately falling in love with some of his films, the same can be said of Coppola although I had only seen "The Godfather" it was a film that afterwards I knew I had just watched a masterpiece.

Apocalypse Now is a film of three thirds (I decided to watch the Redux version, perhaps two halves is more applicable to the original) and it's no surprise that Quentin Tarantino rates this film as one of his favourites of all time with the first third something you'd expect to see from the director himself.

In the first third, Coppola manages to create one of (if not) the greatest battle scenes in film history. We see the Americans lead by Capt. Kilgore destroy an entire Vietnamese village. Although some may see this seen as maleficent and uneasy due to the sheer amount of bloodshed, the superb performance of Kilgore turns it in to an extremely enjoyable, bizarre and fun scene. We see him turn on music and joking around before killing hundreds of people, then once the men land on ground we see him getting ready to search the waves amidst all the chaos as he produces one of the film's most memorable lines, "I love the spell of napalm in the morning". Robert Duvall creates one of the most memorable and fun characters in film history, someone who flourishes in the setting of war and someone whose insane behaviour will stay in our minds long after viewing.

In the middle the film tends to drag more than the other thirds, some of the scenes are justified as we learn more about Captain Kurtz, an ex soldier who has gone insane and set himself up as a God among the local people. At first it seems that we can attempt to justify some of Kurtz actions and can understand why he may have gone crazy, it is not until the finally scenes that the full extent of his command is revealed.

Martin Sheen portrays the film’s main character, Captain Willard, the narrator of the story and the man sent on the mission to assassinate Kurtz. His morals and attitude towards the various situations are important to the film, at first he feels reluctant to murder a US soldier, where as in the final scenes we see a much more different side to his character upon finally meeting Kurtz. At first we begin to understand why the war would turn someone crazy, after all surely Kilgore himself could be classified as such?

Watching the Redux version I can certainly understand the criticisms that people have for the film with two scenes, the second meeting with the playmates and the dinner conversation with the French family seeming odd and out of place as well as lengthening the film without little contribution however it certainly does not make the film worse in anyway and allows use to have a perhaps much needed retrieve from the action filled scenes that come both before and after it.

Slight Spoilers in paragraph - I won’t say much about the final third in case you have not seen the film (despite the spoiler warning), but once we finally get to the Kurtz compound the scenes that follow are brilliant and horrifying at the same time. Dead bodies dangling around everywhere and decapitated heads provide us with a horrifying setting and the scale of the size, the amount of men under Kurtz command is horrifying in itself. The final scene that involves the sacrifice of a buffalo (which was very much real, adding a shocking and brutal feel to amplify an already dark scene), the final scene in which we see Willard stand facing the entire tribe is brilliant and his pause for a split second is brilliantly captured as he reacts to the perhaps unexpected and once again sees the extent of command Kurtz has setup.

The film's use of sound and music is also like no other for which it deservedly won an Oscar for, going back to the battle scene the music played helps great a grand joyous feel to the whole situation despite hundreds of deaths, the sound throughout is superb, from the opening sequences to the final scene. Marlon Brando, the film’s main star has little time on screen and when he does we barely get to see his face, a deliberate and brave decision that helps build up the mystery and scary character that he is.

I do think the theatrical version is superior. We own the Redux version on DVD, but I don't think it should be longer than it already is. The 153 minutes running time is perfect for me.

Yeah, if anybody is going to watch Apocalypse Now for the first time, or seeing it again for the first time in decades, now that there are different versions to choose from, I recommend watching the original theatrical cut first, then the documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, and then if you're still curious check out Redux.

And then, maybe Hot Shots! Part Deux.

Recently rewatched Apocalypse Now for the first time since I was around 17. Damn good movie!

The theatrical version is far superior to the Redux. If Apocalypse Now is a steak, the theatrical version is a perfectly cut piece of sirloin, while the Redux is a cut with too much gristle on it.

As for A Clockwork Orange, I will say this. I do like a Clockwork Orange, but I do not love it like so many others do. I prefer many more of Kubrick's works to it. I still like it, it is just not my favorite.