I'm Buying A House!

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
^that makes me very uncomfortable on levels I cannot find words to describe. my hands are shaking and I'm not even sure why. =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Just in case I gave the wrong impression, this isn't our first house. But it's our first "real" house, because the one we're in now was just a very very affordable starter home we've lived in a lot longer than we planned.
If you don’t mind me asking, have you been able to sell your current house?

If you don’t mind me asking, have you been able to sell your current house?
Haven't tried yet. I hear selling and buying simultaneously is pretty fraught, and since this is a starter home/was cheap/we've lived in it so much longer than we'd planned, we paid it off a while ago and we've been saving since. That allows us to buy the new place without having to sell the old one, so we can move out, more easily fix it up after, and then take our time selling it if necessary.

Since it was so cheap I think we'll definitely be able to sell it for a good deal more than we bought it for, and it'll just come down to how much work we want to put into it beforehand, and how aggressively we want to price it just to have the whole thing done with.

I hope/anticipate we'll be able to do so within a few minutes of the move, though, so maybe spring.

Haven't tried yet. I hear selling and buying simultaneously is pretty fraught, and since this is a starter home/was cheap/we've lived in it so much longer than we'd planned, we paid it off a while ago and we've been saving since. That allows us to buy the new place without having to sell the old one, so we can move out, more easily fix it up after, and then take our time selling it if necessary.

Since it was so cheap I think we'll definitely be able to sell it for a good deal more than we bought it for, and it'll just come down to how much work we want to put into it beforehand, and how aggressively we want to price it just to have the whole thing done with.

I hope/anticipate we'll be able to do so within a few minutes of the move, though, so maybe spring.
Smart & much less stress.

You ready? You look ready.
@Yoda: Having your previous house paid off is pretty great, but it's too bad you won't be able to take advantage of any home buyer credits because of it. Provided they actually come through with it. Fingers crossed for my own sake.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

@Yoda: Having your previous house paid off is pretty great, but it's too bad you won't be able to take advantage of any home buyer credits because of it.
Maybe, but there’s no greater feeling than making that final mortgage payment & owning one’s land & property outright. Been there done that.

Until that eminent domain comes down to build the next bigger/better highway/superdome/BlockBuster xD
Let’s think positive.

If all goes well I should have a full 2 weeks to get the floors refinished. I won't be moving in until the floors are 100% finished, and I am going to overestimate on the time to dry. So I'm looking at a month to get the floors done.
You’re gonna sand your floors so I presume you know you’ll need two coats of varnish? A month would be the minimum, I would think. I would never attempt this in New England unless it were spring or summer, but I think you have warmer weather in WV? You can’t dry the floors with heaters - the air temperature has to be warm & maybe a little breezy. Not trying to be negative, but you’ll find this to be one of the major jobs in the house.

Looks nice when it’s done though.

Cleared to close!

Wasn't really any doubt, but nice to know we're officially done with all the decisions and document-providing.

Every utility set to transfer, just waiting to hear back from the trash collection people. Other than that, just gotta keep packing, go get a cashier's check for the closing next week, and that's it. If all goes well we should be in for Christmas.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Cleared to close!

Wasn't really any doubt, but nice to know we're officially done with all the decisions and document-providing.

Every utility set to transfer, just waiting to hear back from the trash collection people. Other than that, just gotta keep packing, go get a cashier's check for the closing next week, and that's it. If all goes well we should be in for Christmas.
So exciting! Not sure the dog or cats will think so at first, but I'm excited for you guys!

Yeah, part of the fun is seeing how they react. Watching the cats step gingerly and sniff every plank in the floor. The cats are both over 10 and the dog is seven, and while other people have watched them here or there this is the only place they've ever lived.

Cleared to close!

This is amasing news! Congrats.

You ready? You look ready.
Cleared to close!

Ditto. Should close next week.

Also, get yer own thread!