A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Lack of bandage mummy is the main drawback of the 1932 film.
It’s like if the Wolf Man had only been the Wolf Man for the first scene and then was just Lon Cheney Jr. for the remaining 90% of the runtime. Outrageous monster movie making faux pas.

My Spooktober first watches ranked and rated. Spoiler, I’m a huge Ducournau fan now.

https://boxd.it/dTGQm

Have you seen The Child? I wasn't a huge fan personally, but it has some of the same lo fi feeling and atmosphere by omission.
I was about to recommend that myself. I also like it quite a bit. Another that might fit the bill would be The Slayer. Hard to give suggestions as I haven't seen Messiah of Evil myself.

The Mummy’s Shroud is probably the best at having an unstoppable Mummy presence. That one is halfway between the Terminator and Michael Myers.
After watching them all back to back last month, it struck me how similar the mummy films are to slashers. Silent killer stalking victims one by one as some authority figure tries to stop him and/or learn his identity. It's when the kills started to get more creative that it occurred to me. In one of them the mummy stomps a dude's head like a melon. Ouch.

Beware the beat of the cloth-wrapped feet!

I was about to recommend that myself. I also like it quite a bit. Another that might fit the bill would be The Slayer. Hard to give suggestions as I haven't seen Messiah of Evil myself.
Haha, I think you recommended me The Child last month.

Big fan of The Slayer, although that might be a bit more fully formed or polished than Messiah of Evil.

I'm also tempted to recommend The Frozen Scream but there's a nonzero chance that Wooley will hate me forever if he watches that.

So two of my favorite movies from this year's Horrorthon were Lemora: A Child's Tale Of The Supernatural and Messiah Of Evil. And I felt like these movies lived in the same ethos of low-budget, nihilistic, dream-like/nightmarish, dread-based Horror.
I want more.
Anybody who knows these films have any recs of similar things that might have flown under my radar?

Next of Kin

After watching them all back to back last month, it struck me how similar the mummy films are to slashers. Silent killer stalking victims one by one as some authority figure tries to stop him and/or learn his identity. It's when the kills started to get more creative that it occurred to me. In one of them the mummy stomps a dude's head like a melon. Ouch.

Beware the beat of the cloth-wrapped feet!
Isn’t it Shroud when the head gets stomped? If he also douses a dude in acid and throws him across the room, that’s the Shroud brutality I love.

The best Mummy films definitely use him in that slasher capacity. *side eyes the original one last time*

It can’t be stated enough how much the Universal/Hammer monster films influenced the norms of the horror genre. I especially like F13th 6 because it seems as though the filmmakers are acknowledging that debt.

Isn’t it Shroud when the head gets stomped? If he also douses a dude in acid and throws him across the room, that’s the Shroud brutality I love.

The best Mummy films definitely use him in that slasher capacity. *side eyes the original one last time*

It can’t be stated enough how much the Universal/Hammer monster films influenced the norms of the horror genre. I especially like F13th 6 because it seems as though the filmmakers are acknowledging that debt.

Yes, Mummy's Shroud mummy made up for his dopey jumpsuit by being extra ruthless.

Victim of The Night
I was seriously considering The Slayer this year but with my drastically shortened viewing-month I wasn't able to fit it in.

Tonight I watched:

Last Night in Soho. It’s damn good. Edgar Wright can still do no wrong.
I'm going to second this, while I do think that the second half isn't as strong as the first it still had me enthralled throughout and his use of music in film is sill impeccable.

*prepares smelling salts for Tak*

If they're just finding it now I guess it'll be a few years before we get a BluRay. I have never owned it so a combo package with both cuts would be welcome.

Yay!!!!!

Even if it was just two more hours of him turning around at the sink or two more hours of him perfecting dime-store magic tricks, I would watch that in a heartbeat.

Victim of The Night
Ya know, I still haven't seen Martin because as far as I can tell it's not streaming anywhere and hasn't for a long time.
Similar, actually, to Dawn Of The Dead, which I haven't seen in 30 years due to all of its rights issues.

Ya know, I still haven't seen Martin because as far as I can tell it's not streaming anywhere and hasn't for a long time.
Similar, actually, to Dawn Of The Dead, which I haven't seen in 30 years due to all of its rights issues.
Yeah, my one and only viewing was via a Netflix DVD.

It is very much worth purchasing. Or you can drive up here and we'll watch it together.