The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven't written a lot lately in this thread (or the whole forum, I guess). Anyways, here's my ballot [with official rankings in brackets for those that made it]:

1. Let the Right One In (2008) [#40]
Probably my favorite film from this century, and the best vampire film ever.
2. The Seventh Seal (1957) [#4]
I've seen too few Bergmans but this is, by far, my favorite of his.
3. Pulse (2001)
The best Kurosawa movie there is, and it's not even by Akira.
4. Ring (1998)
Is anyone really surprised that I had this many horror films on my list?
5. In a Glass Cage (1987)
The best film about murdering pedophile nazi doctors.
6. Poison for the Fairies (1984)
Viva Mexico!
7. Fireworks (1997) [#78]
Weird in a great Kitano style.
8. The House with Laughing Windows (1976)
The only Italian film I included after the dub debate. It's not the best Giallo, but really damn close.
9. Suicide Club (2001)
Perhaps the greatest opening scene in any movie.
10. Demons (1971)
Bleak and pessimistic samurai horror. I love it.
11. Alucarda (1977)
If this counts as nunsploitation, it's best of the genre.
12. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972)
Pretty much the whole series, honestly.
13. The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)
Naievity, death, and cinema.
14. Sundays and Cybele (1962) [#73]
A beautiful tragedy.
15. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
Another horror? Seriously?
16. Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)
Beating Romero at his own game.
17. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) [#10]
Grasping straws a bit from here on. Only seen this once.
18. M (1931) [#11]
It's been ages since I saw this the last time, but I don't have any reason to doubt I'd like it still.
19. Battle Royale (2000) [#74]
It's ruined the gaming industry, but the film is good.
20. The Painted Bird (2019)
I liked this more than Come and See. Also, it looks freaking awesome.
21. Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)
Beating del Toro at his own game (well, almost).
22. I Accuse (1919)
The best silent film I've seen. Thanks, forum.
23. Throne of Blood (1957)
I've seen pretty much all Kurosawa, but it's been a long time. I'm quite certain I liked this the most.
24. The City of Lost Children (1995)
I hope it's still good.
25. Eight Deadly Shots (1972) [1-pointer]
One of the few great Finnish films. I'm sure @cricket would like it.
That's pretty much a zero effort list. The first ten to fifteen films are quite solid, but the rest could easily be different on another day. I didn't vote for Suspiria because I didn't feel it was any different from Leones (I know it was ruled to be eligible). In addition to that, I left out another Argento, and probably two Fulci's for the same reason. Can you guys see that I like horror?

I think I've seen about 40 out of 100 on the list. I'm sure I'll catch some more along the way, but I don't have any deep interest to watch films just because they're on a list.

Good job by the organizers.

The last movie on my ballot to make it was Spirited Away (#7). It was the first Miyazaki movie I ever saw and is still my favorite

Had a little more fun with this list than I usually do with these things. Bump everything down one spot because of my omission of Aguirre which would have been at least #8 on my ballot. Also would have found a spot for Persona had I seen it before this all started.

1. Yep Rashomon #13
  2. Yep The Cranes are Flying #28
  3. The Virgin Spring #66
  4. Yep - This turned into a big NO! (Viridiana)
  5. Probably a solid no (The Wailing)
  6. I'm still thinking YES Pan's Labyrinth #10
  7. Yep Spirited Away #5
  8. Better luck playing pick up sticks with our butt cheeks than this making it. (One Cut of the Dead)
  9. No (The Raid - Redemption)
  10. Doubt it (The Orphanage)
  11. Maybe, probably not. (Shoot the Piano Player)
  12. yeah, no (Man Bites Dog)
  13. Yojimbo #42
  14. I thought it would for sure, now not so sure M #11
  15. Rififi #76
  16. Diabolique #69
  17. Still think this will make it Oldboy #21
  18. Porco Rosso #101
  19. Kinda leaning no City of God #14
  20. Still possible Das Boot #25
  21. Thought it would have shown up by now Downfall #16
  22. 50-50 on this one, of course there's only a 1% chance of that (Lady Snowblood)
  23. To quote Shep Proudfoot - nope (The Triplets of Belleville)
  24. Dear god no! ([rec])
  25. No way in hell (Passion of the Christ)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
To @Thursday Next and @Yoda and everyone else behind the scenes to everyone who joined in the fun, sent in Lists and shared thoughts. . .
THANK YOU!!!

From my final two, starting with my #1:

Pépé le Moko (1937)

There has been several references to this film as being one that could easily be tagged as noir BEFORE noir came into being. With not only the cinematic style, but with many of the story plots and characters that would become a staple of the genre.
There is also a belief that this character is the inspiration for the cartoon skunk, Pepe le Pew lol

Filmed partially in Algiers with some very well constructed, and detailed sets filmed in studios, we delve into the labyrinth of the Casbah. Home to the criminal element through out the world, with one, in particular, Pépé, who is beloved and feared by them all. Played with the charm and danger befitting the character by Jean Gabin.
Along with the police force that DARE NOT attempt to arrest him within the Casbah, is the clever and patient Inspecteur Slimane, who is both friend and enemy to le Moko.

This movie provides an excellent, and, at times, gritty look into their world and how the "chase" of the past becomes shifted and tossed about with the entrance of a gorgeous woman from Pépé's beloved Paris, his home, which he misses terribly.
and my #10:

La Vérité aka The Truth(1960)

Ahhh, sweet, beautiful, intoxicating, free-spirited, Brigitte Bardot. . .

It is Paris. She is young and firmly believes that:

And, rightfully so.
So she does.
And yet, there are some who think terrible, terrible things.
That she is:

They declare them, in-depth, in a Courtroom.
At her trial.
For the murder of her lover: Gilbert Tellier (Sami Frey).

This exceptional Courtroom drama is my second Henri-Georges Clouzot film. The first being Le corbeau (1943). And, as was my experience with Le Corbeau, I am extraordinarily struck by Clouzot's brilliance delving into the "hearsay" of the crowd. Speculation and insinuation dissect young Dominique Marceau (Brigitte Bardot) with relentless precision via the Prosecution's Maître Éparvier (Paul Meurisse)

Her defense supplied by an empathic Maître Guérin (Charles Vanel)

An equal in litigious combat.
Both men are clever, unyielding, and at times, sardonic in their judicial "dance" with one another. Ranking them, for me, in the echelon of Courtroom adversaries.

Dominique and the deceased Gilbert's turbulently torrent love affair play out in flashback format. The segues were executed with mercurial efficiency.

I love this film: the nuance, the wit, Clouzot's cinematic composition. I am engaged, and even more so and, most likely, will continue to—the familiarity acting as a catalyst.

Movies Seen: 53 of 100 (53.00%)
1. Le Pépé le Moko (1937)
2. Amélie (2001) #18
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
7. The Cranes are Flying (1957) #28
8. Yojimbo (1961) #42
9. Parasite (2019) #3
10. La Vérité (1960)
11. Harakiri (1962) #37
12. Le Samouraï (1967) #30
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
14. Rashomon (1950) #13
15. Pan's Labyrinth #91
16. Pickpocket (1959) #110
17. The 400 Blows (1959) #35
18. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
19. Paprika (2006) #100
20. La dolce vita (1960) #27
21. High and Low (1963) #41
22. Late Spring (1949) #26
23. Oldboy (2003) #21
24. Wild Strawberries (1957) #33
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Rectification List
1. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) #43

Countries
Japan: 9
France: 7
South Korea: 3
Italy: 2
Sweden: 1
Russia: 1
China: 1
Spain: 1

Welcome to the human race...
Thanks once again to Thursday, Yoda, Miss Vicky, and everyone else whose efforts have given us such a great list. Maybe the least contentious list we've done yet, which is nice.

Now onto my ballot...

1. Akira (1988)
2. Stalker (1979)
3. Seven Samurai (1954)
4. Princess Mononoke (1997)
5. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
6. Persona (1966)
7. Ran (1985)
8. Sonatine (1993)
9. Suspiria (1977)

10. Ghost in the Shell (1995)
11. In the Mood for Love (2000)
12. Spirited Away (2001)
13. Chungking Express (1994)
14. Come and See (1985)
15. The Seventh Seal (1957)
16. 8½ (1963)
17. Perfect Blue (1997)
18. Fanny and Alexander (1982)
19. Wings of Desire (1987)
20. Harakiri (1962)
21. Hard Boiled (1992)
22. Police Story (1985)

23. Rififi (1955)
24. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
25. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)

I think Persona and Seven Samurai more than speak for themselves as representing both ends of world cinema's spectrum - one an introspective and philosophical drama that dabbles in dreams and unreality, the other a vast and fluidly-constructed action epic. No surprises, then, that they top the poll.

As for my also-rans...

Ghost in the Shell was a bit of a long shot - its slow and cerebral approach to cyberpunk makes it a harder sell than the more tangibly exciting Akira (to say nothing of how it plays next to the average Ghibli film). Still, at least one non-Ghibli anime made it onto the list and it was my #1 overall so that's good enough for me.

It was definitely interesting to see Perfect Blue reach a considerably high ranking in the horror countdown but horror didn't really get much of a turn-out on this countdown anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. At least Kon got represented with the (slightly) more accessible Paprika.

It is interesting to note just how few action films made the list (think the closest it got was a couple of Kurosawa's samurai-oriented films). In this regard, it would've been good to get one John Woo film on the list, and while I'll readily accept The Killer as the consensus pick for his best film, I think Hard Boiled might edge it out simply on action terms (though I'll concede to it being a little messy in other areas).

Keeping on that action bent, I also find it interesting that we never got one martial arts film, but I guess it's hard to determine even one consensus pick in the same way (compare that against Enter the Dragon managing to make it onto the all-time top 100). Likewise, it's hard to determine exactly which Jackie Chan film qualifies as his best, though I think Police Story works as the most well-balanced intersection between his capacity for fighting, stunts, and comedy (and most importantly the ways in which he will combine all three).

Looking back, I'd probably leave The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari off the list (though I'd still stand by it being an absolute classic). I'll be fine with Metropolis serving as the token German Expressionism film, then.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Persona a few years ago when we had a challenge thread, and someone challenged me to watch it. I found it boring and confusing. I didn't rewatch it for this countdown, but I doubt that it would have made my list anyway.

I watched Seven Samurai a few years ago, (I think for a MoFo movie tournament), but it's just not my type of movie. However it took me several rewatches before I liked The Magnificent Seven, so maybe someday I'll give Seven Samurai another chance.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
12. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
Oh no, you didn't! You done goofed! Should've had it as #1! Maybe it would've made it then, considering a third person had it in their first 15.

I blame Harry Lime.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I forgot the opening line.
First of all, thanks to Tuesday Next for hosting this excellent countdown. The folks at Criterion also thank everyone who contributed here, since they'll be making a lot of money from me over the next 12 months I think. It's been a great deal of pleasure reading everyone's comments about foreign language films they love.

Secondly, some honourable mentions to films that I love but didn't make my list or the top 100 : The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Counterfeiters, Battleship Potemkin, Grand Illusion, Ju-On The Grudge, Hiroshima Mon Amour, la Grand Bouffe, Nosferatu the Vampyre, Ringu, Sophie Scholl : The Final Days, Waltz With Bashir and Man Bites Dog. Many of them would have got votes from me if I would have been set the task of compiling a top 50 or 100.

I've skipped a lot of what everyone has had to say about Persona, because I want to watch it soon and completely fresh. One of the great things about this thread is the number of films it has given me to look forward to. Once I've seen it I'll be back here reading everyone's comments for further insight and to see how well it all goes along with my thoughts on it. I have a backlog of films that stretches into the 100s, but I'll push films like Persona and Stalker to the top.

Seven Samurai was my #6, and speaks directly to the heart - so much so that it kind of defies analysis. I can't think of any film so full of adventure and action that has so much thoughtful wisdom conveyed by it's characters. I also can't think of one that has characters that are so individual and have such depth. I can't think of a film that is so exciting and yet has so much to say. I can't think of a film that could go for over 200 minutes and yet have not one moment that could possibly be cut from it. I can't think of a film that has had as much influence on the cinema I grew up loving in the 1970s and 1980s (except perhaps my other Kurosawa pick, The Hidden Fortress.) How appropriate that this film, the #1 film on this countdown, delivers to Kurosawa the title of most successful director on this list.

Okay, here's my full list. I'm not going to go into much detail on the films that missed out on the top 100, preferring to write up full reviews of each one day and sneak them into many conversations to convince people of their merits. Looking at the list, it seems that I deliberately allowed two films per director overall, but surprisingly this wasn't done deliberately. Also, I overlooked silent films and Suspiria - the latter because I considered it an English language film.

1. Bicycle Thieves (1948) - #6
2. The Seventh Seal (1957) - #4
3. Amour (2012) - My highest Michael Haneke pick, and I was surprised it didn't crack the top 100 (I believe his only entry was Caché at #82) - if you regard his work as a kind of 'unconventional horror' then this one blends both horror and love in equal quantities to produce something remarkable.
4. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - #43
5. Das Boot (1981) - #25
6. Seven Samurai (1954) - #1
7. Downfall (2004) - #16
8. The White Ribbon (2009) - My second Michael Haneke pick, one which some regard as his best work. On any given day I can prefer this to Amour, but both films are sublime if you ask me.
9. Jules and Jim (1962) - My François Truffaut pick, this one is a film I'm extremely surprised didn't crack the top 100. The best film ever made about friendship, and one I much prefer over The 400 Blows - but I know I'm in the minority there.
10. Wild Strawberries (1957) - #33
11. Parasite (2019) - #3
12. Come and See (1985) - #8
13. Rams (2015) - Icelandic film by Grímur Hákonarson that I may have jumped the gun a bit with. It completely blew me away when I saw it, and it's subsequently been remade many times over in many countries around the world. I don't know how well it will hold up over time, but I'm going to do my best to make sure those who haven't seen it at least consider seeing it.
14. I Stand Alone (1998) - My Gaspar Noé pick - a writer/director that makes films that are obviously extreme and seem not to be in everyone's taste. I find Irreversible very hard to watch, but I Stand Alone is the better film regardless and it's held up well for me on subsequent rewatches. His 2018 film Climax is also great, but I need to see it again now.
15. (1963) - #9
16. Amélie (2001) - #18
17. Burning (2018) - South Korean film from Chang-dong Lee that I've also jumped the gun with like Rams. It also blew my mind in every category of the film-making process that I can think of. This isn't the last you'll be hearing from me about this film.
18. The Hidden Fortress (1958) - My second Kurosawa film, and another I'm very surprised didn't show up. I love dropping "the inspiration behind Star Wars" in relation to this to Star Wars fans that still don't know. Up there with Seven Samurai in terms of speaking to your heart.
19. Loveless (2017) - Russian film from Andrey Zvyagintsev that went up in my estimation when I saw it the 2nd time - but again, it was probably too early to put into a list like this.
20. Oldboy (2003) - #21
21. Memories of Murder (2003) - #57
22. Martyrs (2008) - France - writer/director : Pascal Laugier. This is as horrific as horror can get, and there will be some that won't make it all the way through. If that's so, then you did the right thing turning it off - it gets even worse. It's not senseless though, and that gives it enough clout for me to stand by it's place on my list. "Most disturbing film I've ever seen" is a common refrain from people who see it. I love it.
23. Run Lola Run (1998) - #70 - (this might have been a placeholder, and is the one film I kind of regret putting on my ballot. It's very good though.)
24. 13 Minutes (2015) - My second Oliver Hirschbiegel film on my ballot after Downfall and a pretty good companion to it. I haven't seen Das Experiment yet and the brilliant Five Minutes of Heaven is in English. I promote 13 Minutes wherever I go since I believe it should be as widely seen. Has 8.8K votes on the IMDb, while Downfall has 339K votes - so it's criminally underseen.
25. Audition (2000) - My 1-pointer. Another horror! Surprise!

Lastly, let me say that I'm also surprised Rules of the Game didn't make the top 100, but I'm also glad. I don't like that movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm generally not a fan of foreign language movies, so I didn't expect to find 25 movies that I liked enough to submit a good list, but I watched a lot of movies for this countdown, and I was happy to find enough movies that I liked that I actually had a hard time narrowing it down to only 25 movies.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with some wonderful movie recommendations.

This was my list:

1) Romantics Anonymous (2010)
2) Bread and Tulips (2000)
3) Wings of Desire (1987)
4) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
5) High and Low (1963)

6) Run Lola Run (1998)
7) M (1931)
8) The Hedgehog (2009)
9) Music on Hold (2009)
10) Solaris (1972)

11) Cinema Paradiso (1988)
12) Timecrimes (2007)
13) The Secret in Their Eyes (2009)
14) Icarus XB 1 (1963) (aka Ikarie XB 1)

15) Sundays and Cybèle (1962)

16) The 10th Victim (1965)
17) Contratiempo (2016) - (The Invisible Guest)
18) Cyborg She (2008) - (My Girlfriend is a Cyborg)
19) Sunflower (1970) - (I girasoli)
20) Another Round (2020)

21) Whisper of the Heart (1995)
22) Behind Closed Doors (1961)

23) Diabolique (1955)
24) Orpheus (1950)
25) Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession (1973) aka (Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future)

No Hablo Inglés Ballot

#1) Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)

#2) Lady Snowblood (Toshiya Fujita, 1973)

#3) The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Liu Chia-Liang, 1978)

#4) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)

#5) Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

#6) Samurai Rebellion (Masaki Kobayashi, 1967)

#7) Children of Paradise (Marcel Carné, 1945)

#8) La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)

#9) I Saw the Devil (Kim Jee-woon, 2010)

#10) Knife in the Water (Roman Polanski, 1962)

#11) Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)

#12) Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau, 1922)

#13) Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)

#14) Mother (Bong Joon-ho, 2009)

#15) The Raid 2 (Gareth Evans, 2014)

#16) High and Low (Akira Kurosawa, 1963)

#17) Irreversible (Gasper Noè, 2002)

#18) La Femme Nikita (Luc Besson, 1990)

#19) The Wages of Fear (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953)

#20) Le Cercle Rouge (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1970)

#21) Faust (F.W. Murnau, 1926)

#22) Rififi (Jules Dassin, 1955)

#23) The Wailing (Na Hong-jin, 2016)

#24) Pusher II: With Blood on My Hands (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2004)

#25) JCVD (Mabrouk El Mechri, 2008)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My list:

1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
This was so close to making it! I fully admit to recency bias here, but I loved it.
2. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
3. Plein Soleil
This countdown does not contain enough Alain Delon
4. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Thought this had a chance but not quite. Fassbinder was robbed. I recommend it.
5. Spirited Away
6. Army of Shadows
7. Show Me Love
I was not the only one to vote for this!
8. Festen (The Celebration)
9. Sonatine
10. Downfall
11. Farewell My Concubine
I was the only one to vote for this.
12. Plan B
This never had a shot of making it but this wasn't a tactical list.
13. In the Mood For Love
14. Underground
A riot of a film - and the winner of a foreign film tournament here some years back.
15. Forbidden Games
No chance of me doing the one film per director thing as I couldn't cut this or Plein Soleil.
16. Head On
I think the amount of red on this list is proof I did not abuse my powers as host to rig the countdown in any way
17. Pan’s Labyrinth
18. Oldboy
19. Ran
20. Z
21. The Rules of the Game
Close but no cigar.
22. Le Cercle Rouge
Could have been a victim of people thinking it didn't need the points.
23. Wadjda
I was the only one to vote for this, and there are probably about another ten films that could have filled these last few spots. Cutting down to 25 was hard.
24. Children of Paradise
25. Wild Zero
One pointer.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
My Top Non-English Language Films List

(New Canon)

When my father's father's father had a difficult task to accomplish, he went to a certain place in the forest, lit a fire, and immersed himself in silent prayer. And what had to be done was done. When my father's father was confronted with the same task, he went to the same place in the forest and said; '"We no longer know how to light the fire, but we still know the prayer." And what had to be done was done. Later, he too went into the forest and said: "We no longer know how to light the fire, we no longer know the mysteries of prayer, but we still know the exact place in the forest where it occurred. And that should do." And that did do. But when I was faced with the same task, I stayed home and I said; "We no longer know how to light the fire, we no longer know the prayers. We don't even know the place in the forest. But we do know how to tell the story."
1. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)

2. Fe (1994)

3. The Long Darkness (1972)

4. The Whispering Star (2015)

5. August in the Water (1995)

6. 0.5 mm (2014)

7. The Dust of Time (2008)

8. Happy Hour (2015)

9. Romancing in Thin Air (2012)

10. Four Sisters (1985)

11. The Yellow Handkerchief (1977)

12. The Bridge of Arts (2004)

13. Cafe Noir (2009)

14. Tomorrow I Will Date With Yesterday's You (2016)

15. March Comes in Like a Lion (1991)

16. Don't Burn (2009)

17. The Dreamed Films (2010)

18. The Arch (1969)

19. Rex: A Dinosaur's Story (1993)

20. Vitalina Varela (2019)

21. Hibiscus Town (1987)

22. The Broken Lullaby (1932)

23. Dying at a Hospital (1993)

24. God's Comedy (1995)

25. **** Cinema (2004)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

1. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)

I really thought this had a shot of making the list. It was on 3 ballots, finishing up at #122 on 44 points.

Never mind, when we do a proper 2000s list it will have its day.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
1. Amélie (2001)
2. Fa yeung nin wah (In the Mood for Love) (2000)
3. Bacheha-Ye aseman (Children of Heaven) (1997)
4. Ladri di biciclette (Bicycle Thieves) (1948)
5. L'année dernière à Marienbad (Last Year at Marienbad) (1961)
6. Un homme et une femme (A Man and a Woman) (1966)
7. Central do Brasil (Central Station) (1998)
8. Mon Oncle (1958)
9. Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) (1957)
10. Trois couleurs: Bleu (Three Colours: Blue) (1993)
11. Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot the Piano Player) (1960)
12. Il conformista (The Conformist) (1970)
13. Dai-bosatsu tôge (The Sword of Doom) (1966)
14. Kuroi ame (Black Rain) (1989)
15. Suna no onna (Woman in the Dunes) (1964)
16. Koroshi no rakuin (Branded To Kill) (1967)
17. Jeux interdits (Forbidden Games) (1952)
18. Lamerica (1994)
19. Gomorrah (2008)
20. Incendies (2010)
21. La Strada (1954)
22. Ran (1985)
23. Umberto D (1952)
24. Spoorloos (The Vanishing) (1988)
25. Mitt liv som hund (My Life as a Dog) (1985)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
If you have any movies on your list that you know are on Amazon Prime, please list them.. With more mutual watching, we could have more discussions since the countdown is over.

I put my list up, and would be happy to talk about whatever.. I didn't wanna say much about each movie except for a line in case people were trying to watch it before the countdown was over and didn't wanna spoil anything.

4. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Thought this had a chance but not quite. Fassbinder was robbed. I recommend it.
Yes, I agree. One of the few flaws of the end list is no Fassbinder. But hey I left him off so I'm to blame. I could have definitely included Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."