Is censorship in older movies going to get worse?

Tools    

Oh okay, what are any examples of racist caricatures being covered up?

This Disney movie has been pigeonholed for decades.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well it seems that Disney has bought out a lot in Hollywood lately, but why were so many movie companies, so anxious to sell to Disney? Wouldn't they just rather have careers and make movie, rather than sell out and give it all to another company?

Well it seems that Disney has bought out a lot in Hollywood lately, but why were so many movie companies, so anxious to sell to Disney? ...
Disney made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

This Disney movie has been pigeonholed for decades.

I was hoping that Disney would finally release Song of the South at least to stream on Disney +, but I read that they have no plans to ever release that movie anywhere.

"In addition, it’s also been confirmed once again that Disney will be sanitizing its content beyond just excluding films from the lineup of Disney+ titles. The Jim Crow scene from the original animated Dumbo film will be edited out of the film on Disney+ due to its racial insensitivity. This means that the Jim Crow characters will be removed from the film, as they are racist caricatures, and the “When I See an Elephant Fly” song won’t be available for viewing, either. Dumbo already has a pretty short runtime, and this will remove three minutes from the film."

Found at: https://insidethemagic.net/2019/11/d...al-movies-ba1/

They apparently edited out the Jim Crow characters out of Dumbo. This is another example of them pigeonholing the potentially racist examples of their past.

Disney made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
But they are already making millions anyway. Why would they care about more?

"In addition, it’s also been confirmed once again that Disney will be sanitizing its content beyond just excluding films from the lineup of Disney+ titles. The Jim Crow scene from the original animated Dumbo film will be edited out of the film on Disney+ due to its racial insensitivity. This means that the Jim Crow characters will be removed from the film, as they are racist caricatures, and the “When I See an Elephant Fly” song won’t be available for viewing, either. Dumbo already has a pretty short runtime, and this will remove three minutes from the film."

Found at: https://insidethemagic.net/2019/11/d...al-movies-ba1/

They apparently edited out the Jim Crow characters out of Dumbo. This is another example of them pigeonholing the potentially racist examples of their past.
How come they consider the Jim Crow scene offensive? Just because the character have accents?

The truth is in here
I do think retroactive censorship has gotten a lot worse in recent years, and unless something drastic changes it will probably continue getting worse. It's not just with movies, we also have Louis C.K. getting removed from an episode of Gravity Falls and The Simpsons episode Stark Raving Dad getting pulled everywhere, even though the Michael Jackson allegations have been out for a very long time, plus the fact that it did come out before the allegations. It's fûcking ridiculous, it makes about as much sense as all the times TV shows get censored for having a "9/11" reference years before the attack took place.

Some people think it's wrong, some don't. But that wasn't the question. The question was whether it's "censorship," and I explained why this isn't a good example of that. Unfortunately, as is the case with most of these questions, we've moved from one to the next without any acknowledgement that they're separate.

As I've said before (apparently leading to no change in behavior), you need to ask clearer and more precise questions. If you want to ask if this trend is just bad, then just ask that. If you ask if it's "censorship" (and note that things in titles are going to be treated as a strong summation) you'll get different responses.
I would say the issue is more that were changing environment in which media is viewed away from physical copies towards streaming. That means that for a lot of people its not going to be as easy to watch an un altered version.

I do worry as well its going to mean an environment that's generally more in favour of sensorship as well. The market for physical media has always tended to be quite liberal but with streaming I suspect you'll have more situations were the various services fear for there brands. If something is released which some people disagree with theres more potential for loss of business so perhaps they just end up playing safe not touching anything that might offend.

I do think retroactive censorship has gotten a lot worse in recent years, and unless something drastic changes it will probably continue getting worse. It's not just with movies, we also have Louis C.K. getting removed from an episode of Gravity Falls and The Simpsons episode Stark Raving Dad getting pulled everywhere, even though the Michael Jackson allegations have been out for a very long time, plus the fact that it did come out before the allegations. It's fûcking ridiculous, it makes about as much sense as all the times TV shows get censored for having a "9/11" reference years before the attack took place.
How could you have a 9/11 reference in a movie before 9/11 happened? Are you saying if someone in a movie were say "call 911", then they wold redub the phone number, for example?

The truth is in here
You can't. That's the thing. But any instance of The Twin Towers blowing up or any portrayal of them which might be even slightly seen as negative gets censored. The Simpsons was subject to this twice, first with The City Of New York Vs. Homer Simpson where someone complained how the second tower has all the jerks, and then in New Kids On The Blecch when the Twin Towers among other buildings collapsed.

Oh okay. But in the movie Home Alone for example, when you see Kevin dial 911 to call the cops, he actually hits the 911 buttons. Why didn't someone censor that out in copies of the movie after the 9/11 attacks?

Oh okay, but before the 9/11 attacks, when has the term "911" ever been uttered in fiction, besides the emergency number? I've never heard it used in another context before the attacks. So how else was it ever used?

It wasn't. And he didn't say otherwise: he said they were not equivalent. Why would you ask him for examples of "911" being used in other ways? He didn't advance that as an explanation. It sounds like you're again asking questions without processing what people are saying.

Having to see the buildings again is obviously totally different than hearing a reference to the emergency line. People don't even say them the same way: people say "nine-eleven" for the event and "nine-one-one" for the number.

Honestly, I'm not even really sure how to communicate with someone who thought these two things might be similar.

My wife and I watched Ghostbusters (the original) last night for the first time in forever. There was a shot of the skyline at one point which, of course, featured the Twin Towers. While I did say, "Awww... the Twin Towers." I like it in the movie as a solemn reminder of how things used to be and of what happened. They don't offend me by being in the movie. In fact, I would be highly offended if they were removed from the movie at a later date for any reason. Let the past be the past. If we are forever sanitizing it by changing it, then future people will never have the opportunity to not only know the correct past, but to learn from it.

"We are not at war with Eurasia."

Oh sorry, it was said in this post before, about how the term '9/11 was taken out of movies before the attacks:

So I just wanted to elaborate more on this point that was mentioned.

The truth is in here
I never meant the specific term itself, just references to and images of the Twin Towers which get interpreted as offensive. My whole point is how stupid it is of censorship boards to act like these are "predictions" of the 9/11 attacks.

Oh sorry my mistake. I thought you meant the actual term said verbally. My mistake. What are some movies where they took out images of the attacks, before the attacks then?