Drip, drip, drop, little April Song Tournament

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
1. OutKast - Rosa Parks
- There has never been a more fun duo in music than these two dudes.

2. Bones UK - Pretty Waste
- Pretty badass; I'm curious if they are one-trick ponies or if they could maintain my attention for a full album. This song, as much as I enjoyed it, did start to wear on me by the end.

3. Seremonia - Itsemurhaaja II
- Pretty good stuff. Like the fuzzy(?) (somebody who knows more about guitars tell me if this is the right terminology. Distortion?) guitars. I thought it was going to heavier, but a little restraint is fine every now and again.

4. Golden Earring - Radar Love
- Fine. Doesn't feel special, but at least it's competent enough.

5. Culture Reverse - Our Eyes Squint Sadly
- Surprisingly, I was into this. It's pretty simple, the vocals are hidden underneath everything else and there's not a whole lot singing or saying much other than the tite of the song, but... I mean, it reminds me of a sh*ttier version of Caribou. I enjoyed this more than I should have.

6. Loudness - Let It Go
- Yeah, pretty standard hair stuff, as the good Captain said. I do enjoy watching that front man and the drummer flail around... and if you are going to be a hair band... that hair tho.

7. Pearl Jam - Footsteps
- I don't really get Pearl Jam.

8. Nogizaka46 - Sekkachi na Katatsumuri
- The vocals are far too reserved for the music. I'm not too into J-Pop as it is, but I thought this could have had some charm to it. It didn't do anything with it, sadly.

9. Bad Meets Evil - Raw
- Dammit; who snuck Eminem into this party? This song is a Trojan horse that is ultimately my demise. At least they had a Kenny Powers sample.

10. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes
- The music video is interesting to look at... the lyrics are atrocious though; another anti-war song with nothing new to say.

11. Neil Diamond - Be
- Six and one-half minutes of Neil Diamond.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  1. Pearl Jam - Footsteps
  2. Golden Earring - Radar Love
  3. Seremonia - Itsemurhaaja II
  4. Bones UK - Pretty Waste
  5. OutKast - Rosa Parks
  6. Culture Reverse - Our Eyes Squint Sadly
  7. Loudness - Let it Go
  8. Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
  9. Nogizaka46 - Sekkachi na Katatsumuri
  10. Bad Meets Evil - Raw
  11. Neil Diamond - Be

A deluge of votes after I hit the scratcher rounds things out so here's the result for Round 5:

1st - Golden Earring - Radar Love (94 pts)

2nd - Loudness - Let it Go (86 pts)
3rd - Seremonia - Itsemurhaaja II (76 pts)
4th - Pearl Jam - Footsteps (75 pts)
5th - Bones UK - Pretty Waste (74 pts)
6th - Culture Reverse - Our Eyes Squint Sadly (59 pts)
6th - OutKast - Rosa Parks (59 pts)
8th - Neil Diamond - Be (57 pts)
9th - Nogizaka46 - Sekkachi na Katatsumuri (52 pts)
10th - Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (52 pts)
11th - Bad Meets Evil - Raw (42 pts)

Grats to CaptainT on moving a tune on to the Final

Round 6 up in a half hour or so......

Tough set to order imo.
  1. Anthem - Wild Anthem
  2. Filthy Boy - That Life
  3. Nena - 99 Luftballons
  4. Twin Temple - Lucifer, My Love
  5. Black Pumas - Colors
  6. King Diamond - Behind These Walls
  7. Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood - In Another's Eyes
  8. Nick Shoulders - Snakes & Waterfalls
  9. Rush - Subdivisions
  10. Beastie Boys - In 3's
  11. Night Ranger - Sister Christian

My R7 nom:
Dead Confederate - The Rat

1. Anthem - Wild Anthem
2. Nick Shoulders - Snakes & Waterfalls
3. King Diamond - Behind These Walls
4. Rush - Subdivisions
5. Nena - 99 Luftballons
6. Filthy Boy - That Life
7. Beastie Boys - In 3's
8. Black Pumas - Colors
9. Night Ranger - Sister Christian
10. Twin Temple - Lucifer, My Love
11. Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood - In Another's Eyes

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
11. Neil Diamond - Be
- Six and one-half minutes of Neil Diamond.

Not long enough? I might be able to find a longer Neil Diamond song for a later round.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood - In Another's Eyes
2) Nick Shoulders - Snakes & Waterfalls
3) Black Pumas - Colors
4) Twin Temple - Lucifer, My Love
5) Night Ranger - Sister Christian
6) Nena - 99 Luftballons
7) Beastie Boys - In 3's
8) Rush - Subdivisions
9) Filthy Boy - That Life
10) Anthem - Wild Anthem
11) King Diamond - Behind These Walls

I'll be back later with my nom for the next round.

Let the night air cool you off
1. Nick Shoulders - Snakes & Waterfalls
- My favorite country music weirdo going. Nobody sings like this anymore, so thank God he exists. His voice is amazing and those whistles are dope. If they want to make documentaries about weird white people in southern states, somebody start following this dude around, forget the tiger people. ("I Saw A Tiger" is a dope song though, it has real audacity and even if it was an accident, it deserves credit for being so catchy even if it's because of its absurdity; sorry, that's a different song that's not even nominated)

2. Nena - 99 Luftballons
- I prefer the English version; English is more pleasant to listen to than German. Still good.

3. Night Ranger - Sister Christian
- 80's as f*ck, but whatever, man. I don't even like this song for any good reason, but the catchy parts are too fun. Whatever.

4. Twin Temple - Lucifer, My Love
- The music and the voice is undeniable for me. The lyrics are fun if you take them as a fun novelty, but become a little more annoying if you think they mean them. Which a quick google search finds a Vice article about them which gives me the eye-rolls. I don't know how to feel about this because the track itself is musically great and I probably shouldn't take this band too seriously, but I would never want to hang out with them.

5. King Diamond - Behind These Walls
- That guitar goes in. I could probably put this even higher than I did, but I could probably also be writing that five page report due in less than 48 hours.

6. Rush - Subdivisions
- I like Rush well enough; they'll never be a favorite, but they are always musically interesting. And that's enough for me.

7. Filthy Boy - That Life
- I dug this quite a lot. I think I'll listen to it a few more times at least. I want to get all the lyrics, as I couldn't find them online with a half-ass search. Seems like some stuff I'd enjoy unpacking. The lyrics, not a half-ass.

8. Beastie Boys - In 3's
- I'm prone to enjoy the Beastie Boys instrumentals more than their tracks with vocals, so yeah, good song.

9. Black Pumas - Colors
- I don't really have anything bad to say, but I don't see myself listening to this again.

10. Anthem - Wild Anthem
- Fun enough. Overstays its welcome though.

11. Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood - In Another's Eyes
- I don't know why, but something about this song feels scummy to me. Probably because I'm watching the video and Garth has always seemed like creepy dude to me. Trisha and Garth's weird relationship probably don't help things, especially for this particular song. But I shouldn't allow the artist and art to overlap for me. The songs okay; Garth has done better, and he's done a lot worse.

Still @pahaK, @Sedai, @honeykid, @Captain Spaulding, @CaptainT, @Derek Vinyard and @ynwtf to vote on this round - here's hoping none of them were kidnapped or murdered by the Easter Bunny

A system of cells interlinked
I am around - I will get listening!

1) King Diamond - Behind These Walls
Denmark's gift to the world. King Diamond is like Alice Cooper but with actual talent and unforgettable voice. Great stuff.

2) Nena - 99 Luftballons
I've always liked this one. Even when I barely listened to anything else than metal. It has everything that made 80s music great.

3) Rush - Subdivisions
I'm more into the earlier Rush. In a way, this still has all the same elements but it's lacking something to make it great.

4) Filthy Boy - That Life
This song raised my BAC through the roof. It's simple but kind of OK, and despite my dislike towards alcoholics I sort of liked it.

5) Anthem - Wild Anthem
Nothing especially wrong in this except it sounds quite generic. Easy to listen, easy to forget.

6) Twin Temple - Lucifer, My Love
At first I thought this is great but the joke surely outstayed its welcome. Drop the humor and cut the fluff to make it good. I like the concept more than the actual song.

7) Black Pumas - Colors
I was reading another forum while listening to this and I don't remember a thing. After rewatch I can confirm it isn't my music. Huge plus for not being rap, though.

8) Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood - In Another's Eyes
What? Yes, yes I'm awake. Totally not a snoozy song at all.

9) Night Ranger - Sister Christian
Not everything done in the 80s is good. This is one of those anomalies. It's just boring (and I'm losing my focus/interest in writing these snippets - maybe this will result in more creative reviews for the remaining three songs).

10) Beastie Boys - In 3's
I tried to check my head but the song didn't change. Is this like an intro to an actual song? At least no one was yodling on top of it.

11) Nick Shoulders - Snakes & Waterfalls
Holy s**t! That voice is splitting my skull. Is it wrong to hope this guy falls down and hits his head (or is attacked by that dog)? Anything to stop this noise.

A system of cells interlinked
1 Rush - Subdivisions
2 King Diamond - Behind These Walls
3 Anthem - Wild Anthem
4 Black Pumas - Colors
5 Night Ranger - Sister Christian
6 Nena - 99 Luftballons
7 Beastie Boys - In 3's
8 Nick Shoulders - Snakes & Waterfalls
9 Filthy Boy - That Life
10 Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood - In Another's Eyes
11 Twin Temple - Lucifer, My Love