Good new-ish espionage films?

Tools    

I looked at the ones I've seen in the last few years and not much pops out that you probably haven't seen:

Red Sparrow
Man from UNCLE
Atomic Blonde
Allied
The Rhythm Section
The Spy Who Dumped Me
Damascus Cover

Spy Who Dumped Me is obviously a comedy, but I enjoyed it probably the most of anything on the list.

Damascus Cover was not very good.

Sorry!

I looked at the ones I've seen in the last few years and not much pops out that you probably haven't seen:

Red Sparrow
Man from UNCLE
Atomic Blonde
Allied
The Rhythm Section
The Spy Who Dumped Me
Damascus Cover

Spy Who Dumped Me is obviously a comedy, but I enjoyed it probably the most of anything on the list.

Damascus Cover was not very good.

Sorry!
Thank you! I have seen all of these, worth a watch for sure, but I was thinking more Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy-type stuff. Will have a think, maybe something’ll come to me.

Thank you! I have seen all of these, worth a watch for sure, but I was thinking more Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy-type stuff. Will have a think, maybe something’ll come to me.
Yeah, I figured you weren't looking for parodies, LOL.

There is a TV series on Netflix called Queen Sono that is from South Africa that has some secret agent stuff in it. I quite enjoyed the first episode.

Yeah, I figured you weren't looking for parodies, LOL.

There is a TV series on Netflix called Queen Sono that is from South Africa that has some secret agent stuff in it. I quite enjoyed the first episode.
That does sound quite enticing. Thank you!

Victim of The Night
If you're willing to watch a 1970s World War II espionage movie, I like The Eagle Has Landed with Michael Caine, Robert DuVall, Donald Sutherland, Jenny Agutter, and Donald Plaisance.

The Courier is a decent one.
Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty decent in it. Worth checking out
Agreed. Have seen it - not bad. A glaring blooper with Russian government building coat of arms, but, well, you can’t have everything.

Thank you - will check out.
If you need a brief description, it’s a spy thriller set during the Japanese occupation of Korea, focusing on a South Korean officer (played by the brilliant Song Kang Ho) tasked with ousting resistance fighters. It’s directed by Kim Jee Woon, the director of I Saw the Devil, A Bittersweet Life, and The Good, The Bad and the Weird.

Stylistically, it’s equal parts Hitchcock, Melville and stylish, brutal South Korean violence. Easily my favorite spy thriller since Tinker Tailor.

I also know Park Chan Wook made an English language TV adaptation of Le Carré’s Little Drummer Boy (or Girl, in the case of this update). I haven’t gotten the opportunity to watch it yet but that sounds like a potent combo to me.

If you need a brief description, it’s a spy thriller set during the Japanese occupation of Korea, focusing on a South Korean officer (played by the brilliant Song Kang Ho) tasked with ousting resistance fighters. It’s directed by Kim Jee Woon, the director of I Saw the Devil, A Bittersweet Life, and The Good, The Bad and the Weird.

Stylistically, it’s equal parts Hitchcock, Melville and stylish, brutal South Korean violence. Easily my favorite spy thriller since Tinker Tailor.

I also know Park Chan Wook made an English language TV adaptation of Le Carré’s Little Drummer Boy (or Girl, in the case of this update). I haven’t gotten the opportunity to watch it yet but that sounds like a potent combo to me.
Melville, huh. Intrigued. Thank you - sometimes I’m quite happy to just jump into it - slightly prefer Kim Jee Woon to Park Chan Wook, but love both.

The original is good, but I loved the newer version with Oldman, et al.

Melville, huh. Intrigued. Thank you - sometimes I’m quite happy to just jump into it - slightly prefer Kim Jee Woon to Park Chan Wook, but love both.
It feels particularly indebted to Melville’s Army of Shadows, even down to the English title naming convention. If you haven’t seen that, it’s mandatory viewing.

It feels particularly indebted to Melville’s Army of Shadows, even down to the English title naming convention. If you haven’t seen that, it’s mandatory viewing.
I’ll get on that then.