2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

6. a film set in an extraterrestrial world - Pinocchio in Outer Space (1965)

I swear that last one is a real film that I did not make up.
Does he help Santa Claus conquer the Martians?

Also answers to Jabba
@edarsenal funnily enough, I am doing Italy and Mankiewicz for the make-up effort of the 2021 challenge. Did you choose Mankiewicz because they had most of his filmography in Criterion?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal funnily enough, I am doing Italy and Mankiewicz for the make-up effort of the 2021 challenge. Did you choose Mankiewicz because they had most of his filmography in Criterion?
With Mankiewicz, it's been a Director I've wanted to explore more of, really. Don't have Criterion as of yet, so it wasn't a factor.

Would Sabotage (2014) be considered a heist film? Yay or nay?

In some ways, I think it kinda sorta fits. But not in others.

The trick is not minding
Made better progress this month, and I’ll have an update next week sometime.

Kind of stopped this week to watch movie that are leaving Tubi, Amazon Prime and Netflix first. I’ll have to focus more on nightmare mode in June to close out some of the categories that are close (foreign film, b & w films post 2000, award winners, and cinematography winners) and make some progress on others (country, mofo lists, director and genre are slightly behind). And of course I haven’t even started on docs, actor, or decade.

Wtf have I even been doing?!

Made better progress this month, and I’ll have an update next week sometime.

Kind of stopped this week to watch movie that are leaving Tubi, Amazon Prime and Netflix first. I’ll have to focus more on nightmare mode in June to close out some of the categories that are close (foreign film, b & w films post 2000, award winners, and cinematography winners) and make some progress on others (country, mofo lists, director and genre are slightly behind). And of course I haven’t even started on docs, actor, or decade.

Wtf have I even been doing?!
I think you're doing fine.

I used the expiring deadlines to push through Sabotage and Uncut Gems on my list.

The trick is not minding
Update: 6/2!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

J. With a song in your heart!
[watch a film nominated for each of the following Academy awards]
1. Best Original Score - The Three Caballeros (1944)
2. Best Original Song - Cinderella (1950)
3. Best Sound - Saludos Amigos (1942)
4. Best Sound Editing (discontinued) - Iron Man (2008)

Documentary, my dear Watson
watch 10 documentaries
1. Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind (2019)
2. Chariots of the Gods? (1970)
3. Eye of the Beholder: The Art of Dungeons & Dragons (2018)
4. Blood & Flesh: The Reel Life & Ghastly Death of Al Adamson (2019)
5. The Alpinist (2021)
6. What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)
7. Becoming Cousteau (2021)
8. Mysteries of the Gods (1976)
9. The Force Beyond (1978)
10. All In: The Fight for Democracy (2020)

Knocked off a couple more categories recently.

I recommend The Alpinist. Watching a guy scale a rock wall with nothing but two ice picks is more harrowing than most horror films I've seen this year. Yikes.

J. With a song in your heart!
[watch a film nominated for each of the following Academy awards]
1. Best Original Score - The Three Caballeros (1944)
2. Best Original Song - Cinderella (1950)
3. Best Sound - Saludos Amigos (1942)
4. Best Sound Editing (discontinued) - Iron Man (2008).
You'd never seen Cinderella before?!?!?!

I mean, you watched Pinocchio in Space before you watched Cinderella?!?!

The trick is not minding

Add me to the list of people who haven’t yet either.
*ducks*

Add me to the list of people who haven’t yet either.
*ducks*
I guess it falls into that category of movies I watched as a child and just assumed everyone else watched as a child.

I mean, I didn't watch The Goonies until I was in my mid-20s so, *shrug*, I get that one person's childhood classic is another person's "Oh, yeah. Never got around to it."

I mean, Captain, did you enjoy Cinderella? It's one of those movies I watched so often as a kid I have no sense of its actual quality.

Of course not, it's a girl's movie!!

Honestly though, I'm not sure I saw it even as a kid because very little of it was familiar. I was surprised to find that it was mostly a feature-length Tom & Jerry cartoon with occasional appearances by Cinderella.

I mean, Captain, did you enjoy Cinderella? It's one of those movies I watched so often as a kid I have no sense of its actual quality.
I did actually. I'm using my Disney+ account to catch up on all the animated classics (in chronological order, of course). The stuff that came out during the war was pretty weak (the so-called "Package Films"). Cinderella was the return of the full-length story format and the jump in quality is pretty clear. Really looking forward to Alice in Wonderland.

Another thing to remember is that Disney is notorious for keeping their classics in the vault, thereby making every re-release a big event. So those of us who were kids in the pre-home-video era would not have had lots of chances to see these things. I had books and albums and stuff so I'm familiar with a lot of the imagery, but the opportunity to actually watch the films themselves was rare during my childhood.

I watched E.T. in the past five years as an adult. I still can't answer if I ever saw it as a child. I feel like I must have, because I have distinct memories of playing the Atari video game - just not of the movie itself.

I don't think I've ever seen The Wizard of Oz.

I find it interesting (for people around my age or a little older) who never saw Star Wars growing up - even though it's not a series I love. It's just that it was so ubiquitous to me when I was a child, so it's more fascinating.

The trick is not minding
I guess it falls into that category of movies I watched as a child and just assumed everyone else watched as a child.

I mean, I didn't watch The Goonies until I was in my mid-20s so, *shrug*, I get that one person's childhood classic is another person's "Oh, yeah. Never got around to it."

There’s so many Disney animated films I still need to watch. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s, I watched only a few before deciding I wanted to focus on horror, sci fi, and action films. Like most young boys.

It wouldn’t be until much later I decided that was silly and started to watch what became a available to me.

Thinking about it, I saw the classic Disney movies because they were on the Disney channel. I missed most of the Disney renaissance in the 90s, outside of Aladdin and, I think, a single viewing of The Lion King.

ETA: I don't feel the need to go back and watch them though.

Also answers to Jabba
I am doing Soviet Union this year so I thought I would finally finish Tarkovsky's filmography by watching the 2 films I had left and progress this challenge. I watched them back to back today and apparently Nostalgia is way more Italian than Soviet and The Sacrifice is straight up Swedish. :/

The trick is not minding
I am doing Soviet Union this year so I thought I would finally finish Tarkovsky's filmography by watching the 2 films I had left and progress this challenge. I watched them back to back today and apparently Nostalgia is way more Italian than Soviet and The Sacrifice is straight up Swedish. :/
Yeah, had I known you weren’t aware of that I would have mentioned it. He had issues with the Soviet Union over his career due to his style and his unfinished film, The First Day, which he he or they destroyed (can’t recall which). Their constant interference resulted in him leaving in the early 80’s.
Thankfully, you should be able to discover 2 more films to replace them.