2000s
8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think a new musical hall of fame is a good idea

I think if we did a musical countdown it should be open to all types of musicals - live action and animated. I think it would already be more of a niche countdown so no need to restrict it any further.

I think if we did a musical countdown it should be open to all types of musicals - live action and animated. I think it would already be more of a niche countdown so no need to restrict it any further.
This is the only way I'd even consider participating in a musical countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Would it also include Broadway shows that were filmed for television? Some of those are better than the movie versions.

But that might be the interesting part.. Everyone sends their lists, and then the results might be surprising, and that could be fun, too.
idk could be, I would prefer Top 100 Movies You've Never Seen hosted by Chypmunk

Perfect Blue wasn't excluded from the horror countdown and a bunch of animated films made the sci-fi list so why would animated be excluded for a musical list? Every genre list has allowed for animation I don't see why musicals would be any different.

Perfect Blue wasn't excluded from the horror countdown and a bunch of animated films made the sci-fi list so why would animated be excluded for a musical list? Every genre list has allowed for animation I don't see why musicals would be any different.
It shouldn’t be any different, but this was an issue in the Hall of Fame when Citizen hosted a musical hall of fame and excluded animated movies. There ended up being an animated musical hall of fame that ran at the same time which was ridiculous because animated musicals are still musicals. So the concern is that whoever hosts a countdown might make a similarly ridiculous rule.

It shouldn’t be any different, but this was an issue in the Hall of Fame when Citizen hosted a musical hall of fame and excluded animated movies. There ended up being an animated musical hall of fame that ran at the same time which was ridiculous because animated musicals are still musicals. So the concern is that whoever hosts a countdown might make a similarly ridiculous rule.

That would be ridiculous. I'm fine with a HoF's host making up whatever rules they want but it's been established that animation movies are allowed for genre countdowns.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
To have a good well rounded 50 (or 100, which would still be fricken epic and now that I think about it, still doable), this needs to and should be allowed.

I agree it needs to be allowed, but I imagine the logic was less "they're not musicals" and more "they're going to dominate and our musicals countdown will end up looking like an animation countdown." Not sure I have a good answer for that, though.

Let the night air cool you off
I'm not sure I've seen 25 musicals that I love, but I'll put in the work to put out a top 25 ballot that only include bangers. Musicals aren't my favorite, but it should be fun finding some weird sh*t.

Y'know, if musicals happen to be next.

I agree it needs to be allowed, but I imagine the logic was less "they're not musicals" and more "they're going to dominate and our musicals countdown will end up looking like an animation countdown." Not sure I have a good answer for that, though.
It appears the original Musical HOF thread was deleted after it sparked a lot of arguing (this was followed shortly by the Comedy HOF controversy and the ill-fated and ill-advised HOF Committee), but as I recall animated musicals were excluded by CR because they didn't fit his personal definition of a musical.

I think in general any attempt to be restrictive about what defines a movie genre is just going to cause problems.

Personally, I think any genre definition/criteria should come from a neutral, outside source (ie. like imdb). That seems the most fair.

Personally, I think any genre definition/criteria should come from a neutral, outside source (ie. like imdb). That seems the most fair.
And that's generally the way it's been done in the past, with people able to get individual rulings/exceptions on movies that aren't tagged as whatever genre but probably should've been. But we've also had at least one situation where a countdown host tried to make a countdown fit his own definition of the chosen genre and it caused a huge fight, which ended up with him then making IMDb's tags the only deciding factor.

It appears the original Musical HOF thread was deleted after it sparked a lot of arguing (this was followed shortly by the Comedy HOF controversy and the ill-fated and ill-advised HOF Committee), but as I recall animated musicals were excluded by CR because they didn't fit his personal definition of a musical.
Wrong! There never was a Musical HoF, only a thread where I discussed the idea of creating it. That thread is still there.

I think in general any attempt to be restrictive about what defines a movie genre is just going to cause problems.
That's BS because as a countdown host you did restrict what defines a movie genre. Your own words from the countdown you hosted.

The Mofo Top Animated Films List
So after much debate, bickering and confusion, it seems that I have been put in charge of running this monster and I'm going to do it my way.
Note to mention the Horror Hof where you demanded the Host change the criteria to what you wanted, just so your movie Gremlins could be included.

Guys, please try to keep the temperature down on this.

Disagreeing maybe be inevitable, but how you disagree is a choice. As always, there's a thousand ways to say "I disagree," so let's not make it more personal or confrontational than is necessary to get the point across. That's a blanket statement that, I think, applies to everyone at the moment.