2000s
8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I understand that we want participation, but I gotta admit, I do get frustrated that we can't do more esoteric lists because of it.
Maybe we should talk about some kind of smaller side list project for narrower criteria, with a different schedule and different rules so that smaller ballot totals are less of an issue.

Let the night air cool you off
Maybe we should talk about some kind of smaller side list project for narrower criteria, with a different schedule and different rules so that smaller ballot totals are less of an issue.
Not a bad idea.

That was my thinking: what it lacks in breadth it has to make up for in depth. So maybe something deeper and more involved, stuff which would not be plausible for bigger lists. Something more like the Hall of Fame, where people nominate, watch, defend, argue and counterargue a little bit, and then the vote comes after all that. And of course just a lower number of films on the eventual list, too.

Noirs would be nice some of us have been pushing this for years and you can get at-least two Halls of fame (Neo and Classic) Hall of fames out of it with quality participation.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked the idea of a Comedy countdown with the idea that there's no limit on the type of movies people can include on their voting list, they can call anything a comedy if they want. That would make for some fun results! And be easier on the host as any movie goes if it gets enough points to make the countdown. That was @gbgoodies idea actually.

I don't remember suggesting this, but it sounds like something I would say.

Everybody has a different idea of what's funny, so instead of trying to define what movies are comedies, it just makes more sense to let the list define it. If enough people think the same movie is funny, it will have a better chance to make the list.

It probably lessens the chances of most of the movies on my list making the countdown, but that's not much different from every other countdown we've done.

I don't remember suggesting this, but it sounds like something I would say.

Everybody has a different idea of what's funny, so instead of trying to define what movies are comedies, it just makes more sense to let the list define it. If enough people think the same movie is funny, it will have a better chance to make the list.

It probably lessens the chances of most of the movies on my list making the countdown, but that's not much different from every other countdown we've done.
Yup you said it! and it was a great way to decide by not deciding what's a comedy. If we do a comedy countdown that's how we should do it, more fun that way and no fighting or hurt feelings.

Welcome to the human race...
Another one of the "big" genres that hasn't really been discussed (not that I've seen, anyway) is fantasy. Maybe that's like war in that it is at once so specific and not specific enough that trying to pick viable choices would be difficult and each individual title would have to be up for litigation (after all, isn't Star Wars at least as much of a fantasy as it is a sci-fi?), but I still think we'd have to exhaust all the major genres before moving on to specific sub-sets like noir.

Another one of the "big" genres that hasn't really been discussed (not that I've seen, anyway) is fantasy. Maybe that's like war in that it is at once so specific and not specific enough that trying to pick viable choices would be difficult and each individual title would have to be up for litigation (after all, isn't Star Wars at least as much of a fantasy as it is a sci-fi?), but I still think we'd have to exhaust all the major genres before moving on to specific sub-sets like noir.

I don't think you can do a fantasy list unless you limit it by decade

'Musical War Comedies' it is then!
Who wants to host?

(Oh! What A Lovely War ftw! )