The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Jaws was on my list.
Had it low as I knew it didn't need too much help

My List  

2010 vs 2020 Comparison  

A system of cells interlinked
And... there it is. After much discussion, and even a little doubt, Spielberg's classic 70s film has arrived.

Btw, Raiders of the Lost Ark was my #9, and Jaws fell just behind it, at #10. I swapped those back and forth several times as I compiled my list, eventually giving the edge to the 1982 adventure film. That said, Jaws is incredibly entertaining, and chock full of memorable characters, not the least of which is Quint, a guy that steals every scene he is in. I first saw Jaws at probably a bit too young of an age, and that opening scene scared the hell out of me. Luckily, I lived in Arizona at the time, so I continued to swim after seeing the film, as the only swimmable water near me was contained in swimming pools.

Jaws is fantastic stuff, and is on my short list of best films of the 70s.

Love Jaws as well, even with a certain scare spoiled for me prior to seeing it this was still an awesome watch both during it's initial run (and every time after).

Seen: 85/95 (Own: 45/95)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
5. Casablanca (1942)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Jaws is my #1

I considered making this post all visual and with no words. I find Jaws to be the most-visual movie I've seen, so it seemed appropriate, but I also find it to have wonderful dialogue, the kind which not only shows its characters to be flawed humans but also to be warm and witty about it. Yep, this is my ultimate movie and has been ever since it basically saved my life in the Summer of '75. Before Jaws, I deeply enjoyed movies; after it, I was obsessed with them.

From its opening scene, Jaws proves itself to be a film full of tension and unafraid to show you things which you've never seen before. The scene where unfortunate Chrissie Watkins goes for a swim and encounters a shark still has never been topped or even approached.

I truly love all the characters of Jaws, but my fave is Chief Brody (Roy Scheider). Saddled with an irrational fear of the water, he is forced to come to the aid of his family and his town. Roy Scheider gives an incredible performance, full of frailty and wisdom.

The grizzled shark fisherman Quint (Robert Shaw) offers to try to pull the community of Amity out of its potential financial losses due to shark attacks, but the "town fathers" refuse to accept that there's a problem.

Rich ichthyologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) is called in by Brody to prove that something is still rotten in Amity, despite the protests of Mayor Vaughn (Murray Hamilton). Too bad Matt dropped that tooth the size of a shot glass he found in Ben Gardner's boat.

Things come to a head when the Fourth of July turns nasty, and Vaughn is forced to accept that there IS a shark problem. As the shark claims its fourth victim, it narrowly misses Brody's older son.

Well, the first part of Jaws is certainly nerve-wracking and humorous, but when Brody, Quint and Hooper go out on Quint's boat Orca to hunt the shark, the movie definitely takes several steps up the scary adventure scale. John Williams score, which heretofore has mostly been a scary theme similar to Psycho turns more classically adventurous. Much of Jaws wonderful music reminds me of an Errol Flynn swashbuckler.

The characters' individuality come even more into the forefront in this part of the film. Quint, who's harboring a secret about his hatred of sharks, tries to put Brody in his place because he knows the Chief knows nothing of seamanship, but the sailor also tries to put Hooper in his place because he feels he knows too much, despite the fact that Quint considers him a rich brat. This certainly adds to the tension on board the Orca.

Jaws just seems to be such a fortuitous combo of events. The shark wouldn't work, so what do they do? Film the scenes without the shark. Borrowing from Val Lewton, Spielberg makes things scarier by showing less. The novel was a potboiler. It was thrilling, but bogged down with adulterous subplots. What do they do? Streamline the whole thing. Toss out everything which isn't directly related to how the characters relate to the specific situation at hand. In other words, how do we kill the shark before it kills us? How do we work as a team?

Jaws flows all the way through for me. I don't usually use the word "pacing" because it really doesn't convey anything, but I will say that there is not one scene I would cut from Jaws. If I were to cut scenes, it would lose some of its power and entertainment value. No, it's not perfect; but it's the closest I've seen to perfection.

Just when you think things couldn't get more personal, Quint goes ahead and drops his bombshell. Sure, the three are enjoying a drink and comparing "war wounds", but then Quint reveals that he was a crewmember of the U.S.S Indianapolis. Robert Shaw is riveting delivering his self-written monologue about what it was like to be stuck in the water with numerous sharks when the ship was torpedoed after delivering the Hiroshima bomb. You want to see world-class acting?

From here on in, Jaws escalates once again, and I'm not going to talk about the plot anymore. Hopefully, these photos will bring back memories and not ruin anything for anyone who hasn't seen it. Somehow, I don't think they are super spoilers.

I will say that of all the films I've seen in the theater, this one had the greatest crowd reaction. It's hard to believe that it could top the participation of Star Wars, but I have to say that it did. I can't tell you why. Of course, I believe this to be the better film, and it did come first, so maybe that's part of it. But even though this film is as much of a fantasy as Star Wars, it seems to be more about real people which you can relate to. I'm not saying that I don't fully relate to the characters in Star Wars, but Brody, Quint and Hooper truly seem like members of my family, so in that way, yeah they're uniquely human for me.

For all its cinematic invention, suspense and special effects, Jaws is a film about people, Real People. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when the mourning Mrs. Kintner approaches Chief Brody on the dock, and upon learning who he is, she slaps him and reads him the Riot Act. This immediately makes Brody feel lower than he already feels, but the film quickly segues to a poignant scene around the dinner table where the Chief silently "plays" with his younger son by making faces and gestures which his son copies. It brings a tear to my eye, and then ole' Matt Hooper shows up to start eating off people's unfinished dinner plates, and I'm back to laughing.

I could do a commentary on Jaws, but it would be from the viewer's perspective and not the makers'. I wonder which one would ultimately have more of an impact on the average film buff?

Please be open to feel free to love movies and share your love about them, especially here at this site. I feel secure that even if somebody doesn't believe you (think: Mayor Vaughn), eventually enough of the other members will rally to your aid to solve your personal shark problem. Of course, it always helps if you know which way is up and how many barrels your shark can drag under your boat. Happy fishing!

My List
1. Jaws
2. Elmer Gantry
3. Midnight Cowboy
4. Star Wars
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
8. Little Big Man
9. Cabaret
10. The Incredibles
11. LOTR: The Return of the King
12. Schindler's List
14. War and Peace (1966) full 7 hr. version
15. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
16. Back to the Future
17. Richard Pryor Live in Concert
19. The Innocents
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
21. American Graffiti
22. Pygmalion
23. Paths of Glory
25. The Graduate

I think Jaws is a very good film, possibly a great one, but it's been far too long since I last saw it. It's one of my step-dad's favourite films and I have always enjoyed reading Mark's enthusiasm filled posts sharing his love for it, so I'm not sure why it's been so long.

Jaws was #2 on the MoFo ‘70s List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I could do a commentary on Jaws, but it would be from the viewer's perspective and not the makers'. I wonder which one would ultimately have more of an impact on the average film buff?
I nominate Mark, and the movie Jaws, for Yoda's next Podcast

Jaws is one of the first movies I can remember seeing at the cinema, and as a kid I liked part 2 more. That's not the case now obviously. It's a great movie but not a huge personal favorite. I'm a little surprised it's not higher.

Seen Jaws and liked the movie, I wouldn't consider it as a favorite though

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

You know how they say "show, don't tell?" I don't know if that's entirely true. I say that because my favorite scene in a movie may be Quint's speech about the U.S.S. Indianapolis, which is all telling, and besides his face, not much showing.

6. Jaws

Not a bad record for this vicinity...

Yeah, it's my favorite Spielberg, arguably favorite movie. I could have ranked it higher on my ballot but couldnt leave it off.

Jaws Don't really have anything bad to say about it. Kept me out of the lake for a summer. When finishing up my list I noticed I didn't have any movies about fish. Debated including Monty Python's Meaning of Life, Deep Blue Sea, Piranha 3D or Splash! but ended up going with Jaws. I had it at no. 3 as it's my favorite Spielberg movie and have loved it for as long as I can remember.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

Jaws was #2 on the MoFo ‘70s List.
Yo'lden. I really enjoy all these side quest stats you've been throwing out. They really spread the weight of selections around the website, opening doors to other countdowns while throwing out some really interesting bits of trivia. Great stuff that provides more color to the list.

I cannot even begin to imagine the level of tracking and dedication to have such information ready at the go upon each new announcement. Seems daunting to me, so all the more respect for tracking it all.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yo'lden. I really enjoy all these side quest stats you've been throwing out. They really spread the weight of selections around the website, opening doors to other countdowns while throwing out some really interesting bits of trivia. Great stuff that provides more color to the list.

I cannot even begin to imagine the level of tracking and dedication to have such information ready at the go upon each new announcement. Seems daunting to me, so all the more respect for tracking it all.
I appreciate the comment, though looking up where each film placed on the previoius group lists is not at all daunting and is as simple as going to the Lists section of MoFo. Clicky HERE. In another four or five days this completed list will join them.

Jaws one of the truly defining films in cinematic history.

I seen Jaws first run at an old movie theater with a huge screen. It was so well made and so damn tense on the big screen, that when I left the theater with my parents...I was still creeped out by the feeling of something breaking through the asphalt surface of the parking lot!
Yeah, I know there are no land sharks and even Chevy wasn't around to scare me...and yet Spielberg and his film managed to do so!