Films like “Thelma”?

Tools    

It's hard for me to imagine that I would have ever found half the movies I really love, or had the boundaries broadened regarding what I think a 'good' movie is capable of, if I bailed on every movie that I felt bored or alienated by half way through. A lot of great work keeps its meanings opaque, or hides its emotional resonance, until the final act. Sometimes it won't be until you've seen the entire film that you can get an idea of what the intent of the director is.

But to each their own. I personally always think of my 'taste' as in a constant state of development, and that it needs the duress of boring or frustrating or baffling moments to bulk up.

It's hard for me to imagine that I would have ever found half the movies I really love, or had the boundaries broadened regarding what I think a 'good' movie is capable of, if I bailed on every movie that I felt bored or alienated by half way through. A lot of great work keeps its meanings opaque, or hides its emotional resonance, until the final act. Sometimes it won't be until you've seen the entire film that you can get an idea of what the intent of the director is.

But to each their own. I personally always think of my 'taste' as in a constant state of development, and that it needs the duress of boring or frustrating or baffling moments to bulk up.
Fully with you on every single word.

I feel the same, but I can also sympathize with someone who's less dedicated to the cause than I. I didn't have to finish Always to know that I hated it. Hell, I didn't have to start it for that matter.

I feel the same, but I can also sympathize with someone who's less dedicated to the cause than I. I didn't have to finish Always to know that I hated it. Hell, I didn't have to start it for that matter.
Indeed. One of my favourite moments here was when I posted Military Wives as one of the rare films I didn’t finish, someone said “That looks like a movie I couldn’t even start”, and boy, did I wish I hadn’t.

Skimmed the titles I've seen and not finding anything that feels SUPER spot on, but the following "felt right", vibe-wise:

A Dark Song
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
The Last Wave
Intacto
Demon (2015)
Pitfall
All is Normal
Jack Be Nimble
Make Out With Violence
Lovely Molly
The Shout

Skimmed the titles I've seen and not finding anything that feels SUPER spot on, but the following "felt right", vibe-wise:

A Dark Song
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
The Last Wave
Intacto
Demon (2015)
Pitfall
All is Normal
Jack Be Nimble
Make Out With Violence
Lovely Molly
The Shout
What a list - adore many of these, especially A Dark Song & Demon. Not sure I’ve seen Jack Be Nimble & a few others - will watch asap.

What a list - adore many of these, especially A Dark Song & Demon. Not sure I’ve seen Jack Be Nimble & a few others - will watch asap.
Figured you would have seen most, as you're more well-viewed than I am.

Jack Be Nimble is a weird little flick.

Remind me: have you seen The Ugly?

Figured you would have seen most, as you're more well-viewed than I am.

Jack Be Nimble is a weird little flick.

Remind me: have you seen The Ugly?
Oh, gosh, I don’t know if I would say that. I just have a certain niche type of films that I adore to the point of obsession, mostly the Moorhead/Benson type speculative stuff, and yes, I’ll have watched everything ever made around that, but otherwise, I have tons of blind spots.

For example, I definitely haven’t seen The Ugly. But I will soon! Thanks for all these.

Nordic/speculative/supernatural/integrating the supernatural seamlessly into the everyday (rather than full-on world building)
Thelma is good. So if you haven't seen 'Border' I would get on that asap. It's a 2018 Swedish film about being a bit different and finding a soul mate.

I'd add these:

Lamb (2021) - It's a little weird. Don't read up on it. Just watch and smile.
The Untamed (2016)
We The Animals (2018) - This is one of the most beautifully made films of the last few years. I fully recommend this one. It's really nice and also has a somewhat magical realism element towards the end.
A White White Day (2020) - Icelandic thriller. Not supernatural but so well directed.
'Pariah' is essential viewing
Tom at the Farm
Closet Monster
My own private Idaho
Monsoon
Weekend (2011)

There's also a 2021 film called The Innocents which borders on supernatural. I've not seen it though.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure many more will come to me.

Thelma is good. So if you haven't seen 'Border' I would get on that asap. It's a 2018 Swedish film about being a bit different and finding a soul mate.

I'd add these:

Lamb (2021) - It's a little weird. Don't read up on it. Just watch and smile.
The Untamed (2016)
We The Animals (2018) - This is one of the most beautifully made films of the last few years. I fully recommend this one. It's really nice and also has a somewhat magical realism element towards the end.
A White White Day (2020) - Icelandic thriller. Not supernatural but so well directed.
'Pariah' is essential viewing
Tom at the Farm
Closet Monster
My own private Idaho
Monsoon
Weekend (2011)

There's also a 2021 film called The Innocents which borders on supernatural. I've not seen it though.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure many more will come to me.
Yes, this is pretty much a perfect list. I loved Lamb and had been looking forward to it for almost a year.

Haven’t seen 2,3,4 on your list so will get to that asap.

And yes, I really like Border. I’ve also come across the new The Innocents very recently and it’s on my watch list - thank you. Monsoon is one of my father’s favourite films and I also really like The Weekend& Idaho. In short, these fit almost perfectly, might even rewatch some of them now - super-grateful.

Hereditary does blend the supernatural into the everyday until it doesn't towards the end. It was great and creepy, so creepy that I don't want to see it again, but then the ending is a disappointment. it is way too over the top.

Hereditary does blend the supernatural into the everyday until it doesn't towards the end. It was great and creepy, so creepy that I don't want to see it again, but then the ending is a disappointment. it is way too over the top.
I don’t disagree re ending, but it’s also one of my favourite non-Tier 1 films. The first 2/3s are definitely much more subtle at blending the supernatural with reality. I do kind of wish Aster did something similar again, rather than a bloody comedy as rumoured or the very in-your-face Midsommar.

The Devil's Backbone has a nice blend of the supernatural with everyday, if the everyday is Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Despite it being a Guilermo Del Toro film it has a far more naturalistic setting than his other films.

The Devil's Backbone has a nice blend of the supernatural with everyday, if the everyday is Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Despite it being a Guilermo Del Toro film it has a far more naturalistic setting than his other films.
Indeed, that’s very good. Must have seen it 50 times for Spanish practice and whatnot.

Have you ever seen 'The One I Love' ? I recommend it to every person who will listen to me. It's quirky and is like an episode of The Twighlight Zone. Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss. Has that whole 'Coherence' vibe to it.

Somewhat similar - 'Vivarium':
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368406/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

and 'Safety Not Guaranteed'
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1862079...tt_sims_tt_t_1

There is a film that has recently dropped called 'Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes'. It's Japanese and the tagline is........... 'A cafe owner discovers that the TV in his cafe suddenly shows images from the future, but only two minutes into the future.' - I mean how can anyone not want to find out what happens in that film?

Have you ever seen 'The One I Love' ? I recommend it to every person who will listen to me. It's quirky and is like an episode of The Twighlight Zone. Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss. Has that whole 'Coherence' vibe to it.

Somewhat similar - 'Vivarium':
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368406/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

and 'Safety Not Guaranteed'
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1862079...tt_sims_tt_t_1

There is a film that has recently dropped called 'Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes'. It's Japanese and the tagline is........... 'A cafe owner discovers that the TV in his cafe suddenly shows images from the future, but only two minutes into the future.' - I mean how can anyone not want to find out what happens in that film?
Absolutely, I still prefer Coherence (one of my favourite films ever, know every word of dialogue), but The One I Love is great. I also think Honeymoon was not unlike it and worth a watch or two. I also really liked Frequencies.

Quite like the other two, but not as much as Coherence. The only sci-fi I love as much as Coherence is Primer.

And yes to your last paragraph - Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes sounds phenomenal. That’ll probably be my first stop tonight as I’m skipping my weekly cinema trip for once.

Thank you so much for the fantastic recs.