Beforeigners

Tools    

"HBO Nordic's first original series from Norway, Beforeigners is about two persons who mysteriously appear in Oslo. They are the first of many from the past to seek refuge in present time. Seven years later the community is transformed." - IMDB

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm watching the first episode of this right now on HBO Max. The premise is a really fresh twist on the time-travel trope. I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode, and if they can keep it this unique, I'll keep watching. So far, I'm thoroughly intrigued.

I'm watching the first episode of this right now on HBO Max. The premise is a really fresh twist on the time-travel trope. I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode, and if they can keep it this unique, I'll keep watching. So far, I'm thoroughly intrigued.
Gonna out this in my watchlist for when I next subscribe to hbo.

I made it through the one season they have so far (only six episodes). Really can't wait for season 2. The fresh twists on the trope continued through all six episodes, so I can highly recommend the first season. I keep thinking that they could go in SO many directions with their basic premise. I won't say more. It was more fun to go into the series without any clue what to really expect.

I made it through the one season they have so far (only six episodes). Really can't wait for season 2. The fresh twists on the trope continued through all six episodes, so I can highly recommend the first season. I keep thinking that they could go in SO many directions with their basic premise. I won't say more. It was more fun to go into the series without any clue what to really expect.
Sounds good. I’ve watched a ton of Scandinavian drama. Very good actors. And they all speak excellent English - some without an accent at all, which amazes me.

Sounds good. I’ve watched a ton of Scandinavian drama. Very good actors. And they all speak excellent English - some without an accent at all, which amazes me.
Well, this series is subtitled, so I have no idea if their accents are any good.

Well, this series is subtitled, so I have no idea if their accents are any good.
I didn’t explain properly. I meant when they have an English-speaking rôle. Joel Kinnaman & Alexander Skarsgård, for example, both speak accentless English.

Wait, so Skarsgard's native tongue isn't English? Wow, he's everywhere speaking English in his roles and I never knew that!
Hard to believe, but he’s Swedish. Son of the very famous Stellan Skarsgård. (Kinnaman is also Swedish.)

I figured the two Skarsgards had to be related. He's also good at English.
Stellan has perfect English, but he’s not accent-free.

Okay, folks, season 2 is in full swing, although I'm annoyed that HBO Max doesn't do the full-season release like Netflix still does. (In fact, I'm starting to think Netflix is the only streaming service left that still does this. Everyone else has been making me wait a week for a new episode for everythingggggg.)

Anyway, they're keeping the time-travel twists fresh and ongoing. There are always new things they throw in with these strangers who keep showing up from the past. And they've added a fun new plot element this season, which I also won't mention just yet. I highly recommend this clever, interesting, well-done series!

Okay, folks, season 2 is in full swing, although I'm annoyed that HBO Max doesn't do the full-season release like Netflix still does. (In fact, I'm starting to think Netflix is the only streaming service left that still does this. Everyone else has been making me wait a week for a new episode for everythingggggg.)

Anyway, they're keeping the time-travel twists fresh and ongoing. There are always new things they throw in with these strangers who keep showing up from the past. And they've added a fun new plot element this season, which I also won't mention just yet. I highly recommend this clever, interesting, well-done series!
Confessions of a binge-watcher, eh?

I actually prefer the release of a single episode once a week. It’s something to look forward to & I don’t spend a huge amount of time watching several episodes at once.

What ends up irking me about once-a-week is that the stuff I end up watching tends to bunch up on the same days: often Sunday evenings and/or Friday evenings. So then, since I'm not disciplined enough to space them out myself, I end up watching new episodes of these shows the day they're released... meaning the rest of the week is like a wasteland. That's when I end up watching older stuff.

What ends up irking me about once-a-week is that the stuff I end up watching tends to bunch up on the same days: often Sunday evenings and/or Friday evenings. So then, since I'm not disciplined enough to space them out myself, I end up watching new episodes of these shows the day they're released... meaning the rest of the week is like a wasteland. That's when I end up watching older stuff.
Yeah, I hear you.

Okay... I think this week's episode was the last one of this season. (First season was only six episodes, and this was episode six of season two.) Plus, it ended like a season ender.

And it didn't disappoint.

It's really fun that they have kept the time travel trope so fresh in every episode. There are little things to notice about the time travelers in almost every episode--much of which is really funny.

Now I have to wait for season 3.

Does the series get better? I watched the first ep and about a half of the second, then had to bail. Too silly. Every time they showed people from ancient times trying to carry on their lives on the bridge or sidewalk-- with goats, straw, etc., I thought they surely must be joking. I guess it's just not my cup of tea. Interesting sci-fi premise, but rather nutty.

To me it definitely did get/stay clever. I guess the premise does seem silly at first, but they are handling the whole thing so *consistently* and thoroughly (implications of this situation going forward, for instance) that I admire it for that alone. You get to see how society/the world's infrastructure and bureaucracies handle the influx of these time travelers (since they keep showing up).

This season they added a clever twist with a certain time traveler in particular.

But I can see how it might not be everybody's idea of clever sci-fi.