2018 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I think the unspoken rule is to go by when the film has a wide release in the U.S.,

Kinda disappointed by a few films not getting in. Transit for screenplay (at least), The Sisters Brothers for most categories, or even Blindspotting, Happy as Lazzaro, and Thunder Road, for their breakout performances (Rafael Casal, Adriano Tardiolo, and Jim Cummings).
I had Rafael Casal on my list of breakout performances. I thought he was outstanding in that role.

Transit
was the only foreign language film on my list not to make the ballot, but I didn't really expect it to since I don't think it's been widely seen yet.

This awards list is garbage. No Rami Malek means no credit.

Just because people come to a movie forum doesn't mean they know movies.
Just because someone decided to play Freddie Mercury and do a glorified impression with jackrabbit teeth, doesn't mean they get to make the list. No one will remember Bryan Singer's Bohemian Crapsody or Rami Malek's performance in 5 years.

Maybe you should get a better taste in film performances. Lemme guess, did you also vote for Gary Oldman just because he screamed "WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDAAAHHH?"

The absolute STATE of Dirk.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I didn’t think Rami nailed Freddy at all (eh, joke not intended)

Rami tried to do all the moves but he came off as too feminine and he really didn’t match that show dominance that Freddy had. To me, while having big arm movements and such on stage and the fact that he was gay or at least bi, he still had a presence about him that was rather masculine. He seemed to have so much self confidence and he seems to really connect with the stage and audience. I didn’t think Rami got that. It was a fun but rather surfaced impression to me. I admire the hard work he did to recreate all his moves and that live aid concert but as a performance of a person he missed in my opinion. As a summarized greatest hits act he did good. But he didn’t really reach much behind the fake teeth imo...

I didn’t think Rami nailed Freddy at all (eh, joke not intended)

Rami tried to do all the moves but he came off as too feminine and he really didn’t match that show dominance that Freddy had. To me, while having big arm movements and such on stage and the fact that he was gay or at least bi, he still had a presence about him that was rather masculine. He seemed to have so much self confidence and he seems to really connect with the stage and audience. I didn’t think Rami got that. It was a fun but rather surfaced impression to me. I admire the hard work he did to recreate all his moves and that live aid concert but as a performance of a person he missed in my opinion. As a summarized greatest hits act he did good. But he didn’t really reach much behind the fake teeth imo...
I agree. Malek did as good a job as he could, but it wasn't good casting. Mercury was actually a pretty big guy, and I doubt that he was particularly swishy.

I'm not a Sacha Baron Cohen fan, but he would have been perfect for the part. It's too bad he left the production.

I agree. Malek did as good a job as he could, but it wasn't good casting. Mercury was actually a pretty big guy, and I doubt that he was particularly swishy.

I'm not a Sacha Baron Cohen fan, but he would have been perfect for the part. It's too bad he left the production.
Indeed. I didn’t mention it in my post but I agree 100%.

I would have loved not only to see Baron Cohen in the role because I think he could have been perfect, but also just see his vision of. A wilder and more personal approach to the story. Not this glossy stuff. I bet his vision would be like a cross of Wolf of Wall Street craziness with something like the subtleness of, day, Capote. It would have been awesome.

Also... on another topic... SO GLAD to see the love for Danish thriller The Guilty. I’m not a big fan of films from my own country but once in a while a seriously good movie comes along. And Den Skyldige is one such movie. But that said, Denmark is experiencing a golden age for cinema right now. It’s lovely. New, young and upcoming directors and writers and actors and whatnot are completely changing the game. So nice to see.

@MovieMeditation are you going to be voting this year?
I first see this just now, since I removed you from the ignore list because appearently everybody was fine with you hosting this sh*t and then I can’t see it, so dammit.

But yes, I will be voting this year.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I first see this just now, since I removed you from the ignore list because appearently everybody was fine with you hosting this sh*t and then I can’t see it, so dammit.

But yes, I will be voting this year.

Indeed. I didn’t mention it in my post but I agree 100%.

I would have loved not only to see Baron Cohen in the role because I think he could have been perfect, but also just see his vision of. A wilder and more personal approach to the story. Not this glossy stuff. I bet his vision would be like a cross of Wolf of Wall Street craziness with something like the subtleness of, day, Capote. It would have been awesome.

Also... on another topic... SO GLAD to see the love for Danish thriller The Guilty. I’m not a big fan of films from my own country but once in a while a seriously good movie comes along. And Den Skyldige is one such movie. But that said, Denmark is experiencing a golden age for cinema right now. It’s lovely. New, young and upcoming directors and writers and actors and whatnot are completely changing the game. So nice to see.
I thought The Guilty was very well done. It was suspenseful, and had good acting from Jakob Cedergren.

Do you have any recommendations for other Danish films or TV series? I've actually been looking around for a decent series, but most are too grim.

~Doc

I thought The Guilty was very well done. It was suspenseful, and had good acting from Jakob Cedergren.

Do you have any recommendations for other Danish films or TV series? I've actually been looking around for a decent series, but most are too grim.

~Doc
The Hunt (Jagten) is a winner. It’s actually pretty grim too but a darn good film.

Then there’s The Celebration (Festen), A Royal Affair (En kongelig affære), R. and a few others.

I don’t watch much Danish television shows, but Borgen should be good and I’ve watched a bit of Broen and it seemed good too.

~Doc
TV:
Danish:
Bron/Broen
Forbrydelsen
Borgen

Swedish:
Millennium (original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo)
Äkta människor

Movie:
The Hunt Jagten 2012

Just because someone decided to play Freddie Mercury and do a glorified impression with jackrabbit teeth, doesn't mean they get to make the list. No one will remember Bryan Singer's Bohemian Crapsody or Rami Malek's performance in 5 years.

Maybe you should get a better taste in film performances. Lemme guess, did you also vote for Gary Oldman just because he screamed "WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDAAAHHH?"

The absolute STATE of Dirk.
Yes, I am sure Rami Malek didn't deserve to win best actor just because you didn't like his performance.

Oh, I am fine with my taste because it is better than yours.

In 5 years, Rami might be forgotten, but you will still be a dick.

#J.JonahJamesonLaughing