Santa Clarita Diet

Tools    

I saw the first two episodes yesterday and, in a surprise to no one, I liked it. A lot. And considering the humour that was a surprise to me. The first, dreaded, episode worked well for me. I actually laughed a few time. I would've put this down to Drew, but I watched it with someone else and I think they liked it even more than I did. She certainly laughed more.

I thought the awkward/bad acting made sense. Parodying the norm or 'paradise/the American dream' as sold for so long (not that there's anything remotely original or modern about that) They're trapped in their dull suburban existence. Unable to be the people they want to be (especially Shelia) and, therefore, 'act normally'. They have 'the law' on either side of them, making them act even more restrained and worried about how and what is seen.

It's all played at an odd pitch, but I like it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Season 2 is out now and if you were "MEH" on the first season, I urge you to check out the second.

The writing is funnier. The mythology is expanding and the cast gel really well together with Barrymore making big improvements over her first season performance.

I was a fan of the first season, despite it having some slumps here and there. I hope people really get to watching the second because I like the show and Olyphant is killing it.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I was a fan of the first season, despite it having some slumps here and there. I hope people really get to watching the second because I like the show and Olyphant is killing it.
I was really happy to see an advertisement for this last night. It must be on some channel here after all. Will check it out.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
started watching this a week ago when I saw that Olyphant was in it and really enjoy this show, (in the second season). Initially, it was kind of weird seeing Tim playing a more timid character, having been a fan of Justified and Deadwood but he really nails it and a large chunk of the laughter comes from him, though I really do enjoy the entire cast in this.
I've got my fingers crossed Netflix will keep this one running. Haven't seen a really good comedy show in some time and this is fitting the bill VERY nicely.

Yeah, the wife and I finished season two last night. Still really good! It actually could stand to be very slightly shorter (seems like pretty much all streaming shows go a little too far in response to the lack of commercial constraints), but I'm still really enjoying it.

Like ed, I was kinda freaked out by Olyphant in this role at first, but I got used to it, or he got better, or both. I'd say it's better now than it was last season, even.

It's still hard to put my finger on why I like it as much as I do (or more than I did at first, even), but I think it's developed a clearer comedic voice as it's gone on.

Yeah, the wife and I finished season two last night. Still really good! It actually could stand to be very slightly shorter (seems like pretty much all streaming shows go a little too far in response to the lack of commercial constraints), but I'm still really enjoying it.

Like ed, I was kinda freaked out by Olyphant in this role at first, but I got used to it, or he got better, or both. I'd say it's better now than it was last season, even.

It's still hard to put my finger on why I like it as much as I do (or more than I did at first, even), but I think it's developed a clearer comedic voice as it's gone on.
the comedic pace is quite good. And also, it isn't jokes that create the humor, it's the reaction and response of conversation as thing get crazy.
What I've liked is that the situations aren't gratuitous or meant to gross out. There part of the parody of the genre. They seem to keep a good balance without going overboard. That's not an easy thing to pull off.

I do know we get surprised when the 30 mins are up, and to have the time shoot by says a lot about how entertained we are while watching this.

the comedic pace is quite good. And also, it isn't jokes that create the humor, it's the reaction and response of conversation as thing get crazy.
Yeah, I think that's right. The humor is very organic, all coming out of character and circumstance, very few traditional setup/punchline combinations. And a lot of it fits the general theme of Joel and Sheila hanging onto some semblance of normalcy, or concerning themselves with petty everyday things, in the midst of all the craziness.

I'm still pretty shocked at how good Olyphant's been in this role. It was hard to imagine upfront, and while I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining the show's improvement, I do wonder if the difference seems bigger than it is because I just couldn't wrap my head around him playing this guy for awhile.

Yeah, I think that's right. The humor is very organic, all coming out of character and circumstance, very few traditional setup/punchline combinations. And a lot of it fits the general theme of Joel and Sheila hanging onto some semblance of normalcy, or concerning themselves with petty everyday things, in the midst of all the craziness.

I'm still pretty shocked at how good Olyphant's been in this role. It was hard to imagine upfront, and while I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining the show's improvement, I do wonder if the difference seems bigger than it is because I just couldn't wrap my head around him playing this guy for awhile.
completely agree about Olyphant. Kept waiting for him to go all Raylan Givens any time there was a confrontation. lol
It could be that it is SO opposite of his past character that Olyphant is bringing so much to this character. It has to be pretty liberating to go a complete 180 with a role.

Gah. We're almost done! Just a few episodes left. I guess it'll be better (?) knowing going into them. Sounds from cat like it doesn't exactly wrap things up perfectly, though. D'oh.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Just a few episodes left here, too. Sad to hear it ends on a typical season-cliffhanger that won't get resolved.

Still, I'll watch till the end. Strangely, this show grew on me with each season. The first few episodes had me scratching my head about whether I should continue. But the silly humor and one-liners continued unabated through all three seasons. I figured Olyphant could handle comedy when I watched him in Justified (which had its comic moments, of course), but I had no idea how funny he'd be. Joel and Eric were both sublime characters with perfect comic timing.

And yes, I'm now officially tired of series that end each season with a cliffhanger if they're not assured of a next season. (Olyphant has now been part of two of those... but at least Deadwood is getting a feature film in late May!)

I was exactly the same way: first couple episodes I thought "this is trying too hard to be quirky, with the comedy/violence dissonance." It felt like it was all gimmick. But after a few episodes, the insanity of their situation and Joel's manicness really grew on me. Once it had that momentum and was "oh God, how are we going to get out of the latest mess we created cleaning up the last one" every episode I started to really, really like it. I was 90% done with it two episodes in and 100% on board after a few more. Sad to see it go.

that is just sad AND frustrating!
Studios should let the shooting companies know ahead of time so that they CAN wrap things up instead of set the stage for something further that, now, may not ever come since this is a Netflix owned show.

STILL, an excellent and very funny series and one I'll rewatch again. The entire cast was superb and I came to love each and every one of them. When the third season came out, we literally devoured it within a couple of days, if it took that long at all.