Did anyone see this terrible fire in London?

Tools    

This goes back to days when I worked in a picture frame shop - a lawyer came in and wanted a display mounted for a court case he was working on. (I'm assuming he was representing a client whose house caught fire from a malfunctioning toaster.)

His presentation was a set of illustrations on how the heating elements in a toaster can get hot under certain conditions just from being plugged in even when the plunger isn't down. And the guy said as he left, never leave toasters or anything with heating coils plugged in. Now that was back in the late 80's, so maybe consumer safety has made progress since then - but I always remembered that.
Right. IIRC, my ex-SIL had a neighbor in NYC whose apartment burned down because her toaster malfunctioned.

This goes back to days when I worked in a picture frame shop - a lawyer came in and wanted a display mounted for a court case he was working on. (I'm assuming he was representing a client whose house caught fire from a malfunctioning toaster.)

His presentation was a set of illustrations on how the heating elements in a toaster can get hot under certain conditions just from being plugged in even when the plunger isn't down. And the guy said as he left, never leave toasters or anything with heating coils plugged in. Now that was back in the late 80's, so maybe consumer safety has made progress since then - but I always remembered that.
Lol, my toaster is always plugged in. But then, all that can burn in my kitchen are the kitchen cabinets -- the walls are made of brick, the ceiling is concrete and the whole kitchen (including the floor) is tiled top to bottom with ceramic tiles. Nothing will burn except for the cabinets.

the walls are made of brick, the ceiling is concrete and the whole kitchen (including the floor) is tiled top to bottom with ceramic tiles. Nothing will burn except for the cabinets.
Sounds very ... Mediterranean.

Sounds very ... Mediterranean.
It is!

Now you know why I don't worry overmuch about house fires. I don't even have a fire alarm in my home. Why bother? Nothing will burn except the furnishings.

Yes, though it's not really Mediterranean (the Med doesn't reach here only the Atlantic). More just Southern Europe.