Hellboy Reboot

Tools    

Like with Marvel's Hulk, Hellboy is now undergoing a redo/reboot.

Hellboy was last seen on the screen in 2008 under the helm of director for hire Guillermo Del Toro... both Hellboy movies were met with critical panning and fans feeling nothing but rage and disappointment.

Hellboy built up a bit of a cult following in the past 10 years, though is still seen as one of the weakest comicbook movies ever made.

Turns out though, David Harbour, star of Stranger Things, has been cast in the reboot as Hellboy... with Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin (producers of Predator, Die Hard, Watchmen etc) at the producer helm.

News in is that it'll be an 18 rated movie, based directly from the comic.

Critical panning? Fans feeling nothing but rage and disappointment?

I think you should research that again my friend.

The cult following has given it something extra but it was never panned or hated by every fan of the comic books... anyways, weird they want to reboot it and not just give Del Toro his final entry to the trilogy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
How will a reboot be better than a third? You're going to alienate and piss-off your core audience who wants a third film.

Dumb.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, not sure where this panning is coming from - both films are certified fresh on RT and they're certainly not among the weakest comic-book movies to ever exist.

In any case, I'm definitely disappointed that there won't be a part three (especially since the second one went to so much trouble of setting it up), but I'll see how a reboot turns out.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It all makes sense now.

I'm sure there will be plenty of time for coffee and contemplation. I guess whoever owns the rights wanted to wash their hands of GDT and Pearlman.

Spitballin, they want a Deadpool budget movie and there was no way H3 would could accomplish that and work.

Just now seeing this after creating a thread. This sounds very promising. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It's not hellboy without Ronnie.

This might just do nobody any good.
Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

In a way, the character was as much a signature of GDT as he was Mignola's. Certainly was for Ron. I like Marshall but this feels like a step down.

I'm good with it. Hellboy 3 was never gonna happen and I'm just glad to get a chance to see it on the big screen again.

I met Doug Jones just over a week ago. If this had been announced before then, I definitely would've liked to ask about his thoughts on it.

As for me, I'm sceptical but willing to give it a chance.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm good with it. Hellboy 3 was never gonna happen and I'm just glad to get a chance to see it on the big screen again.
Which I just don't understand. Who is this movie going to be for if the people who really wanted a Hellboy 3 are pissed off about this remake?

If what they say is true about it being a horror influenced take and that first trailer is good, everyone that likes the character.

GDT and Pearlman as Hellboy elicit a lot of strong feeling. This isn't Transformers or G.I. Joe. The most vocal and outspoken, fans can dominate this conversation. The people I know, the ones who are real comic fans (unlike myself) were all upset up about no GDT yesterday. I'm going to take the easy way out on this. Batman 89' was great and so was Nolan's DK. These franchises don't have to live and die with one version.

This is something that Marvel is going to run into sooner or later. No matter how good they can make their fringe properties, they will have to turn over the starting lineup one day.

both Hellboy movies were met with critical panning and fans feeling nothing but rage and disappointment.
wait wut

Well apart from becoming a bit of a cult movie I've never really heard anyone actually rave about Hellboy.
I never ranked it myself and most people I've spoken to have said it was garbage as well.

Well apart from becoming a bit of a cult movie I've never really heard anyone actually rave about Hellboy.
I never ranked it myself and most people I've spoken to have said it was garbage as well.
I love them.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
It looks like a possible shoot for the film may be happening in September, according to a tweet from The Hollywood Reporter:

“#HellboyReboot could come sooner than you think: producers would like to start shooting mid-September. (If they will is another matter.)”

You can't win an argument just by being right!
So do I. I thought they were really funny and charming. Don't know if I could watch one without Ronny, though.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Thanks to Patton Oswalt, Ron Perlman gave his blessing to David Harbour. The two met at a dinner arranged by Oswalt.

And here is Harbour preparing to get the Right Hand of Doom made