Alien: Covenant footage was screened. Results are in...

Tools    

That's why I never watch trailers. They give no guaranty whatsoever for the actual movies, and can spoil a lot of content.

It reminds me of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey trailer. It's the only trailer I watched, after a painful wait of nearly 10 years. That trailer was so good, yet the movie...

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The trailers are extremely misleading imo.
Look on the bright side. You got that sweet Pirates movie to look forward to.

Look on the bright side. You got that sweet Pirates movie to look forward to.
I had just happily forgot those were still going.

A friend invited me to the pre-premiere so I thought "oh well", but I'm not looking forward to it

i miss the days when james cameron directed an alien movie which for me tops 1979 s alien in everything, i did enjoy prometheus after the second viewing

i miss the days when james cameron directed an alien movie which for me tops 1979 s alien in everything, i did enjoy prometheus after the second viewing
Me too. Well, that and spending two weeks reading a reddit about what it "supposedly" meant.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Same. Saw it today.

My God... I was like, seriously? I just couldn't take it... I probably had it worse than you it seemed.
This looks promising. Think I'll view it as a comedy because Mr Dani will no doubt want to see it.

Legend in my own mind
Totally underwhelming.

They got this so wrong.

Welcome to the human race...
This was actually better than I expected. Admittedly, it's a bit of a slog for the first 45 minutes or so, but it picked up once David re-appeared. I do wonder how much you can really expect it to be like either of the first two Alien movies - if anything, I was hoping for more of the weird approaches that got taken with 3 and Resurrection and, well, they certainly got appreciably weird with David. If anything, it suffers for trying to play into expectations of what an Alien movie should be - I think these movies should do what they can to defy expectations. I may or may not do a longer review, but in short, I kind of liked it.

I only just found out this was shot in my city. Very surprised there wasnt a lot of buzz about the shoot.

75% on rotten tomatoes. Is that a decent rating? I dont usually take notice.

At a glance, yes. On further inspection, the average rating is a 6.3/10 (accounting for those reviews that include numerical ratings, at least), which would indicate that it's either really divisive or just alright. RT operates on a like-dislike binary that doesn't do the best job of communicating nuance - in their system, a 6/10 and 10/10 would both count as equally "fresh" ratings despite the considerable difference.

i think RT rating of 75 % means more than enough to make it fresh, so i would like to see it very soon, ofc, the high expectation makes u very critical about a franchise that has been a classic sci fi franchise that many people love.

This was actually better than I expected. Admittedly, it's a bit of a slog for the first 45 minutes or so, but it picked up once David re-appeared. I do wonder how much you can really expect it to be like either of the first two Alien movies - if anything, I was hoping for more of the weird approaches that got taken with 3 and Resurrection and, well, they certainly got appreciably weird with David. If anything, it suffers for trying to play into expectations of what an Alien movie should be - I think these movies should do what they can to defy expectations. I may or may not do a longer review, but in short, I kind of liked it.
I'm glad you could enjoy it. I really wanted to. Admittedly, the David part was interesting, but
WARNING: spoilers below
the "twist" was too predictable, I knew it right when he re-emerged after the fight, but the crew was silly not to check him. And before that, the captain was idiot to listen to him about the egg, after watching him communicate with the xeno. All that took away my appreciation. Plot treading.

Local paper review came out today and they gave it....

....4 stars.

Leader in the clubhouse for 2017's most polarizing film.

I'm glad you could enjoy it. I really wanted to. Admittedly, the David part was interesting, but
WARNING: spoilers below
the "twist" was too predictable, I knew it right when he re-emerged after the fight, but the crew was silly not to check him. And before that, the captain was idiot to listen to him about the egg, after watching him communicate with the xeno. All that took away my appreciation. Plot treading.
WARNING: "Covenant" spoilers below
I don't consider that a twist so much as a reveal. Daniels does ask "Walter" what happened to David and can't really verify it because of the immediate Xenomorph attack. It doesn't come up until the very end because the survivors are too busy trying to survive the different Xenomorphs that attack them. It makes more sense for it to be something that the viewers can't help but know is coming even though it isn't confirmed until the very end. That sense of inevitability feels more pointed than it just being a "predictable twist" - maybe seeing it coming is actually the point.

As for Oram, I feel like that's just the logical conclusion of his arc. He got forced into a position of responsibility by circumstance and, in trying to win over a crew that he felt that he needed to impress, made the decision that led to at least half his crew dying - including his own wife. By that point, I figure he had a death wish anyway but he still wanted David to tell him the whole story just so he could die knowing why everything had happened.

Jeremy Jahns review. I havent watched it because of spoilers but after seeing the disappointment from Mofos I might view it and save myself the ticket price, popcorn and parking fee.

i have to say i really enjoyed this film, and micheal fassbender steals the show as david, nice entry can t wait for the next direct sequel to this, plus beautiful film to look at same as with prometheus

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Jeremy Jahns review. I havent watched it because of spoilers but after seeing the disappointment from Mofos I might view it and save myself the ticket price, popcorn and parking fee.

Wow.
That guy moves too much. I hate him. Then halfway in I noticed that I kinda act like that =\. By the end I realized that I am pretty much that guy exactly.

Now I'm crying in self-awareness and shame.

Wow.
That guy moves too much. I hate him. Then halfway in I noticed that I kinda act like that =\. By the end I realized that I am pretty much that guy exactly.

Now I'm crying in self-awareness and shame.
LOL ynwtf, no doubt why I find your posts so entertaining. I love JJ.