History in Photos (warning: some disturbing content)

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Pal Pruck, 15 year old soldier in the 1956 Hungarian rebellion.

Child soldiers taking a smoke break, Angola, 1976.

Montgomery, Alabama during the time of the bus boycotts. The Klan had passed out circulars advertising, “We believe in white supremacy, we need you – you need us.”

Unknown.

Lou Reed in NYC, 1977

Harlem, 1964

Jack Nicholson and Groucho Marx, 1972

Moving a 7 -600 ton apartment building to create a boulevard in Alba Iulia, Romania - 1987

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Reichserntedankfest rally (Thanksgiving Celebration of the Reich), 1934

First picture ever taken in space (1946)

Hiroshima - Before and After (1945)

Bombs dropped on Kobe, Japan (1945)

Suspect's Reviews

The final moments of a Japanese dive bomber, 1945:

The Nine Kings

(Standing L to R: King Haakon VII of Norway, Tsar Ferdinand of the Bulgarians, King Manuel II of Portugal and the Algarve, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany and Prussia, King George I of the Hellenes and King Albert I of the Belgians.)

(Sitting L to R: King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King George V of the United Kingdom and King Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

105 mm shells spent during the course of a single day in Germany, 1916.

Rehearsing his speech in a mirror:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Interesting thread albeit somewhat disturbing as some humans show.

Today is the anniversary of tiananmen Square

Who could forget this beautiful photo

I'm always happy to see this thread come up again.

Class differences in England, 1932

Healing back problems with a bear - Romania, 1946

Miss New Zealand falls unconscious during the Miss Universe competition in 1954

Polar explorer Peter Freuchen, photographed with his partner

Fawzia Fuad, princess of Egypt and queen of Iran, 1939

Acrobats on The Empire State Building, 1934

Love those except for the last one which made me scream LOL. How freakishly huge is that explorer.

Hillary and Norgay

The crew of B-29 Superfortress 42-24598 "Waddy's Wagon", 20th Air Force, 73rd Bomb Wing, 497th Bomb Group, 869th Bomb Squadron, the fifth B-29 to take off on the first Tokyo mission from Saipan on November 24, 1944, and first to land back at Isley Field after bombing the target. The crew members, posing here to duplicate their caricatures on the plane, were all killed when "Waddy's Wagon" was shot down attempting to guide a crippled B-29 back to safety during a mission against the Nakajima aircraft factory in Musashino, Japan on January 9, 1945.

^ Thats just scary Vicky.
err no it isnt, that is just right.. and hardly even worth a mention.. what the Japanese did to Chinese and Russian POW is scary and on a different level entirely

I love armchair historians, it's fantastic!

Oswald Mosley and the black shirts (The British Union of Fascists)

Queen Elizabeth II in her green fatigues during WWII

Japanese War Atrocities
*IMAGE REMOVED*

Notice how these prisoners are not behind fences in soft concentration camps and how they don't have bodies because the Japanese had competitions of who could cut off the most heads

err no it isnt, that is just right.. and hardly even worth a mention.. what the Japanese did to Chinese and Russian POW is scary and on a different level entirely
Two problems with this:

1) A thing does not cease to be awful/scary simply because more awful/scary things have existed in different places and at different times.

2) It was particularly upsetting because it didn't happen in a totalitarian or oppressive state. It happened in a free democracy, a place that's supposed to be different from the examples you just mentioned. The idea that this can happen in a place like America is, I think, actually a lot scarier than the idea that awful things happen under typically awful governments.

And I don't know what "that is just right" means. It's wrong to imprison people for their race, full stop. The people sent to internment camps were not known (or even suspected) sympathizers. They just had the same race as the nation we were at war with. That's not how our justice system is supposed to work.

Also, I removed that image. Please do not post gruesome or explicit images.

Two problems with this:

1) A thing does not cease to be awful/scary simply because more awful/scary things have existed in different places and at different times.

2) It was particularly upsetting because it didn't happen in a totalitarian or oppressive state. It happened in a free democracy, a place that's supposed to be different from the examples you just mentioned. The idea that this can happen in a place like America is, I think, actually a lot scarier than the idea that awful things happen under typically awful governments.

And I don't know what "that is just right" means. It's wrong to imprison people for their race, full stop. The people sent to internment camps were not known (or even suspected sympathizers). They just had the same race as the nation we were at war with. That's not how our justice system is supposed to work.

Also, I removed that image. Please do not post gruesome or explicit images.
Sorry I don't think it is awful/scary and in that climate the absolute correct thing to do..

"They just had the same race" as if that means nothing during that time.. as if the Japanese didn't see themselves as the master race.

It happened so we don't know what could have happened if it didn't.. like Japanese spies sabotaging the war effort..

or the man in the high castle perhaps..

I just find it abysmal when people cry for this bit of history but omit to mention of UNIT 371 or Rape at Nanking for which there isn't even a word to express the acute evil and makes Japanese internment in the US look like a summer day camp.

And still widely accepted facts about atrocities are denied and parts of history are glossed over in Japan today and many question their sincerity when it comes to apologizing.

Sorry I didn't think the pic was any worse than the burning monk or Jew about to be shot but okay, fine..

The Rape Of Nanking

There are no official numbers for the death toll in the Nanking Massacre

Sorry I don't think it is awful/scary and in that climate the absolute correct thing to do..
It's inconsistent with our laws, our Constitution, and our founding principles, so I think any argument in defense of it needs to be a lot better than a vague allusion to the "climate," as if all these things can be arbitrarily suspended

Originally Posted by FromBeyond;1712908"
They just had the same race" as if that means nothing during that time..
It means that we judge people by their choices, not things they can't control, like whatever race they happen to be born into, and that being born into the "wrong" race is not a crime.

as if the Japanese didn't see themselves as the master race.
They weren't "the Japanese." They were Americans. Obviously, very few of them could have been spies, so what you're essentially saying is that it's okay to imprison lots of innocent people just in case some of them are criminals.

It happened so we don't know what could have happened if it didn't.. like Japanese spies sabotaging the war effort..
See above. Under this logic, why don't we respond to every crime by detaining everybody who lives on the same street? You know, just to make sure we get the right person, nevermind the 99% that are innocent. This, by the way, would have me in jail right now, as someone was shot at the end of my street yesterday. Thank goodness the "climate" in my neighborhood isn't considered bad enough to suspend due process.

I just find it abysmal when people cry for this bit of history but omit to mention of UNIT 371 or Rape at Nanking for which there isn't even a word to express the acute evil and makes Japanese internment in the US look like a summer day camp.
It wasn't omitted: she was saying something of personal significance to her. Specifically, that her grandparents had to face this. That obviously means more than something half a world away that has no direct connection to her or her family, and nothing about decrying internment can or should be read as an inherent defense (or downplaying of) the Rape of Nanking or any other atrocities committed.

And, again, one of these nations had an Emperor, and the other was a free society founded on natural rights. I'm much more worried, long-term, about what kind of things are possible in free societies than in oppressive ones.

I wonder how many of those Americans would have been happy to go along with the regime if Japan had won the war..

sorry but your constitution is a convoluted mess that nobody seems to fully comprehend, Americans just use it how they see fit

Do you think in that time and yes in that climate there was time and resources to Judge each and every American of Japanese heritage or could there have been more pressing concerns

Yes I tell you on the internets there is disproportionate mention of what happened to the Japanese (Nagasaki, Hiroshoma, US Internment camps) which is why I felt the need to speak up this one and only time.. just to give perspective.. whether or not anybody agrees I really don't care

I have debated this with a good friend and we kind of met halfway eventually and I am not completely unsympathetic, no doubt individual liberties were taken but I go back to the climate and what was at stake in a world at war.

"I'm much more worried, long-term, about what kind of things are possible in free societies than in oppressive ones"

me too.

"They just had the same race" as if that means nothing during that time.. as if the Japanese didn't see themselves as the master race.
Is this a joke?!

The people who were sent off to those camps were AMERICAN CITIZENS, many of whom were born right here on U.S. soil. They were not criminals. They had done nothing wrong. They were families who were uprooted from their homes, forced to sell, give away, or simply abandon almost everything they had and sent off to live in a f*cking prison camp because some a**holes on the other side of the ocean - who happened to be of the same race - bombed a U.S. Naval base.

Luckily you wasn't in charge of the war because if you were no doubt it would've gone on for another ten years and thanks for taking everything I said into consideration