The Mummy Reboot

Tools    

After Brendan Fraser's outing being a remake/reboot of the movies that were made with Boris Karloff, there's been news of another reboot of the The Mummy movies, especially after the Brendan Fraser spinoffs with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (and others) and The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor were met with disdain.

Tom Cruise is apparently now in talks to star.

Release is said to be in 2017.

From IMDb: "The story follows Navy Seal Tyler Colt and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find a group of terrorists hiding out in a bunker. To his and his team's surprise, the terrorists within the bunker turn out be nothing more than some grave robbers who have all magically died. Upon entering the bunker Tyler and his team also succumb to some mystical forces out of their control. They soon realize the bunker they have infiltrated is actually a centuries old tomb. Mayhem erupts as all the Navy Seal members start turning on one another and are captivated by the forces within the tomb. Tyler is the only one to make it all the way deep within the tomb alive to find a black iron sarcophagus. It's marked with Egyptian symbols like the Ankh and Eye of Horus. Here Tyler is entreated by the forces to open the sarcophagus and release what is inside. But after placing his hand on the sarcophagus, he is immediately stabbed in the palm with a star shaped symbol. From then on Tyler's mind is cursed with visions of Ashirtniple King of Assyria... The Mummy."

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The set-up sounds good, even if it again seems to lean more towards action/adventure/thriller than supernatural horror. Not so much comedy either, which was more prevelent in the Fraser version. Truth be told, I really liked the Fraser Mummy: Vasloo was a cool mummy, the comedy actually worked between Fraser, Weisz and Hannah and the off-screen "sucking them dry, that's how!" scenes were genuinely frightening for 8-year old me.

What it lacked may have been a real sense of how powerful and intimidating the mummy could be outside of those scenes. I know the reasons behind it, but he still up and left as soon as Fraser pulled out a cat, and his henchmen (be they CG or dudes in bandages) never induced fear. Hopefully they will correct this and give us a truly terrifying main villain/henchmen. And not just a guy ripping skin of dudes and wearing them as capes kind of scary, I'm talking intimidating. Smart as all hell and diaboical. A true threat, as it were, something that you could buy as an world ender. That's what I'm hoping for

.......And probably won't get.

Jesus Christ. I knew they were turning the classic Universal monster movies into action movies, which sounded stupid, but actually seeing it really ruffles my swan feathers.

Welcome to the human race...
I want to see Tom Cruise do a movie that's like reverse Crank where his character can't step any quicker than a power walk.

Also, this looks bad.

Only one thing better than a mummy movie, that's a mummy movie with Tom Cruise in it, this couldn't of been timelier.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I must be the only person who actually liked that trailer.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

there's a frog in my snake oil
Much improved trailer version!

(The IMAX YT channel uploaded it with most of the soundwork missing. It's pretty great )

I hate mummys...

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I must be the only person who actually liked that trailer.
I like the trailer as well. My immediate reaction to the thread was to face palm so hard I was knocked off my perch but that looks fun. 5 cups of poppycock for the trailer from me.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Just to clarify, I didnt faceplm at your thread, rattus, but at the idea of YET ANOTHER REBOOT. Sorry for yelling.