Supreme Court Rules Same-Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide

Tools    

Sean has some good points here, if I understand his post correctly.

When the whole gay marriage issue first started I thought that the best solution was for the government to get out of the marriage business.

If adults wanted to get married they could do so at their own will without government approval. They could be married in a civil ceremony, religious ceremony or even at the House of Pancakes.

That way no one could claim marriage was unfairly restricted as any adult couple, including gays could be married. And churches wouldn't be forced to violate their own religious beliefs by marrying gay couples.

As fair as tax and other benefits for marriage couples goes, that should be changed to include any people who live together as a couple (a couple could be platonic)

I did vote for gay marriage in my state but I think getting the government out of the marriage business would have been a better and fairer solution.
First time I make my thoughts known to someone other than my family and someone agrees with me. I am shocked.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
that i believe the children are our future article you linked to, its headliner was basically 'gay people can't procreate and straight people can'

...i didn't read the whole article, cause it was butt long, but that's what i got from the first few paragraphs, and the discussion that derived from it.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Now, please don't take this wrong, I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but to me obvious reason is that man and women can have kids, and should have benefits according to that (support and stuff like that), just my thoughts on it. That's biggest thing that comes to my mind, Yoda will probably explain all that legal stuff better.

I'm not offended by others positions, I like to debate don't worry.

If you say that what makes man and woman marriage special is the possibility to have children then what would you say to a couple aged over 50 year old that wants to marry? (they can't have kid obviously) or to a woman or a man that for genetical reason is not fertil, they wouldn't have the right to marry? Or simply to a man and a woman that wants to marry, but don't want kids?

Also, why the fact that you can have kid should give anyone a moral edge or an advantage?

This question is best answered with another (one that I'm not sure has occurred to a lot of the people cheering this decision): why should the government care who gets married? It's not the government's job to schematize our personal relationships. They don't formally recognize friendships, for example. Government only gets involved when it has a compelling interest in something. What interest do they have in marriage?

Answer: children. Government has a major interest in the welfare of the next generation. And, right on schedule, the very next question is always this:

It doesn't matter that some couples don't (or can't) have children, because government often draws broad categorizations to capture certain demographics. For example, not every 17 year old is too ignorant to vote, and not every 18 year old is informed enough to do so, but by establishing a minimum voting age we exclude most of the people who probably aren't ready, and include most of the people who are. It's not perfect, but creating a perfect test would be invasive, costly, and ultimately pretty arbitrary. Demographic capture is necessarily balanced against simplicity.

Similarly, government encourages the development of the next generation broadly by recognizing (and supporting in various ways) heterosexual marriage, which achieves the desired goal in one fell swoop.

I keep hearing about how "Only 'Traditional' couples can have children, that's why it's superior to same sex marriage" No. Adoption is an important thing. "Traditional" couples have children, but some of them can't afford to keep them, or aren't ready for the responsibility, so these children end up in the system. Anything that finds these poor kids a stable, loving home should be looked upon as a good thing. I don't care if the family has two dads or two mums, it's a family, the kids will be raised by someone who loves them, end of story. I know a few same sex couples who are fantastic parents. They're certainly better with their adopted kids than my parents were with their biological ones.

Plus isn't the world getting a bit too overpopulated anyways?
ok, i probably should have worded my post better. no one here is arguing that gay people can't have babies, directly. but the argument from all these ^ posts is that straight couples have had an advantage over gay couples as being recognized at a state level in their matrimony because of their ability to procreate. and that's what all the above argument's been about, right?

that's what i was responding to.

Good news. I can't think of any reason same sex couples shouldn't enjoy the same legal rights as everyone else. It's two people who love each other and that should always be celebrated in my book.

Forcing churches into performing ceremonies, (and the right to bear/adopt children) is another debate entirely though. That said I doubt we'd be leveling 'left wing bigotry' accusations if the issue concerned mosques.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
ok, i probably should have worded my post better. no one here is arguing that gay people can't have babies, directly. but the argument from all these ^ posts is that straight couples have had an advantage over gay couples as being recognized at a state level in their matrimony because of their ability to procreate. and that's what all the above argument's been about, right?

that's what i was responding to.
There is a difference between discussing it and using it as a part of overall post and using it as an example for something else we are discussing.

That said I doubt we'd be leveling 'left wing bigotry' accusations if the issue concerned mosques.
If the government tried to impose gay marriage on the Muslim community there wouldn't even be a debate about it. They would reject it, and would treat such an imposition as an insult to their religion. The difference between Muslims and Christians when it comes to gay marriage is that Christians seem to bend to government pressure, and Muslims remain very stringent on enforcing the laws of their holy book.

If the government tried to impose gay marriage on the Muslim community there wouldn't even be a debate about it. They would reject it, and would treat such an imposition as an insult to their religion. The difference between Muslims and Christians when it comes to gay marriage is that Christians seem to bend to government pressure, and Muslims remain very stringent on enforcing the laws of their holy book.
Oh, I know that. I was hinting that the accusations would be 'right wing bigotry' as opposed to 'left'.

The thing is that marriage is not solely religious, my mother is getting married this summer and we are all atheists they call it a marriage, but it is more a ''civil union'' they are legally husband and wife, but the church has nothing to do with it. Is it only here that such things exist?

Oh, I know that. I was hinting that the accusations would be 'right wing bigotry' as opposed to 'left'.
Ah right, I get you now. But I can't imagine a situation when 'right wing bigotry' was regarded as a negative.

The thing is that marriage is not solely religious, my mother is getting married this summer and we are all atheists.
I assume that your avatar is a picture of some ancient philosopher or poet, and not a saint.

It's a portion of a painting by Raphael on the left it's Plato pointing to the sky and on the right Aristotle pointing to the ground. Plato believing in some sort of perfect rationnal world that we can find by reason and Aristotle saying we have to Watch our world and try to understand it.

I can't imagine a situation when 'right wing bigotry' was regarded as a negative.
The smiley tells me you're kidding, but tell that to the bleeding heart UK media who've pretty much assured the continued decline of Britain, by trashing the likes of UKIP (and other more nationalist parties) and stonewalling intelligent discussion on the crawl towards Sharia Law in the UK - and the rest of Europe/World. Naturally a debate for another thread.

Would like to see more people take this approach, even though it's a lot easier and more psychologically comfortable to write other people off as bigots.

This question is best answered with another (one that I'm not sure has occurred to a lot of the people cheering this decision): why should the government care who gets married? It's not the government's job to schematize our personal relationships. They don't formally recognize friendships, for example. Government only gets involved when it has a compelling interest in something. What interest do they have in marriage?

Answer: children. Government has a major interest in the welfare of the next generation. And, right on schedule, the very next question is always this:
If this were true wouldn't we all be wringing our hands about pollution/climate change/nuclear waste/recycling/and any other global catastrophe that is far more pressing than whether or not someone can birth children?! This sounds like an excuse to involve yourself in someone's personal life and not a legal argument to do so. Especially since the vast majority of the people on this planet are not gay which means the future generations are fine. Hypothetical children should literally be nowhere on the radar of the government. Only the existing ones needs should be of any concern. I believe this children argument to be completely and totally invalid.

It doesn't matter that some couples don't (or can't) have children, because government often draws broad categorizations to capture certain demographics. For example, not every 17 year old is too ignorant to vote, and not every 18 year old is informed enough to do so, but by establishing a minimum voting age we exclude most of the people who probably aren't ready, and include most of the people who are. It's not perfect, but creating a perfect test would be invasive, costly, and ultimately pretty arbitrary. Demographic capture is necessarily balanced against simplicity.

Similarly, government encourages the development of the next generation broadly by recognizing (and supporting in various ways) heterosexual marriage, which achieves the desired goal in one fell swoop.
Again, it's none of their damn business what's going on with hypothetical kids. I also see no similarity between deciding voting age and encouraging people to procreate to keep the species going. Also, since we're on it, I don't think it's even the governments job to give a crap that the species does keep going. And, as stated above, I'm pretty sure they're trying their damnedest to make sure we don't keep going.

You got me wrong, I'm saying people who can create life and want to do it should be more supported, encouraged and have bigger and better benefits. Let's use your post as an example, if two 50 year old's want to marry then good for them, I wish them best of luck in life, but you can't take their marriage as important as two 20 year old's who just started their life (so to say) and plan to create a family and so on. I'm not saying marriage without children can't be as good, I'm saying marriage with children needs more help and benefits. It dose make it special in my opinion, special =/= better. If you can't have kids, you can't, you may like it or dislike it, but you are obviously different then people who can, wouldn't you agree?
This fills me with more rage than I can comprehend. No marriage should be more important than any other. None of the scenarios you talk about are more or less important than the other. None of the scenarios you describe should be treated with more or less respect than any of the others. The lives being built by a couple that is getting married, regardless of age/sex/fertility/etc. should be respected equally because we're human ****ing beings who should be kind to one another. We shouldn't discriminate or give preferential treatment. That what this entire thing is about!

I edited them out because I knew you will come to act "heavenly", here I'm putting it back. I didn't say its a problem, I said its a difficult topic and we all know why... Don't LIE
WHAT?!??!! No, we don't all know why. I sure as heck don't. Why don't you enlighten me? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you're saying the subject of same sex couples adopting children is a difficult topic, right? If it is, why? If you're talking about something else, let me know what I'm not getting.

No one is imposing gay marriage on any religion. Why do you think anyone is imposing gay marriage on a religion? This is entirely about the government recognizing same sex marriage. It has absolutely nothing to do with Muslims or Christians.

If this were true wouldn't we all be wringing our hands about pollution/climate change/nuclear waste/recycling/and any other global catastrophe that is far more pressing than whether or not someone can birth children?!
No, for two reasons:

1) You can always say "why worry about X when Y is happening?" But that's not an argument. Theft isn't fine because murder exists, and culture doesn't cease to matter because of pollution.

2) Not everybody shares your degree of worry about those issues, and if they do, they may not share your assumption that wringing out hands (or a given course of action) is the best way to solve it. But nobody disagrees that what kinds of people the next generation turn out to be matters.

Especially since the vast majority of the people on this planet are not gay which means the future generations are fine. Hypothetical children should literally be nowhere on the radar of the government. Only the existing ones needs should be of any concern.
When I say the government has an interest in the next generation, I don't mean so the human species will continue to exist. I mean because the demographics of a country have a huge impact on what that country is like: its economy, its political stability, its tolerance for risk, investment, everything. It's staggeringly important.

Moreover, they have an interest in what kind of citizens they turn out to be. We have a ridiculous amount of research showing that the traditional family structure produces far, far better outcomes than, say, single-parent homes. It's one of the few conclusions of the social sciences that's so definitive it begins to resemblance the hard sciences.

I believe this children argument to be completely and totally invalid.
I think you'll find lots of arguments are invalid when you completely misunderstand them.

Again, it's none of their damn business what's going on with hypothetical kids.
Then why is it their business that they're getting married? You don't expect them to license your friendships, do you? So why license marriages? You can't play the "no damn business" card and then turn around and say we have to force states to validate the relationship they apparently have "no damn business" in.

I also see no similarity between deciding voting age and encouraging people to procreate to keep the species going.
I explained the similarity pretty clearly, but here it is again: laws that advance government interests don't need to perfectly encompass every demographic exception. That's wildly impractical, and we don't do it anywhere. General tendencies are fine, whether the law is trying to capture most of the population that's mature enough to vote, or most of the population that's going to do the child-rearing.

TL; DR: you don't make laws for every exception.

No one is imposing gay marriage on any religion. Why do you think anyone is imposing gay marriage on a religion? This is entirely about the government recognizing same sex marriage. It has absolutely nothing to do with Muslims or Christians.
So if it ends up threatening their tax-exempt status, or people get sued or fined for refusing to participate for religious reasons, you'll change your mind on this issue?

The thing is that marriage is not solely religious, my mother is getting married this summer and we are all atheists they call it a marriage, but it is more a ''civil union'' they are legally husband and wife, but the church has nothing to do with it. Is it only here that such things exist?
Yes, we had civil unions in some places here. It was actually a common proposal of compromise: mimicking most major legal benefits of marriage, without codifying the word into law, so people or states could still define the word for themselves. As you can see, it was ultimately rejected. I'm not sure if the suggestion has reached Bigoted status yet, but give it a few more weeks.

No, for two reasons:

1) You can always say "why worry about X when Y is happening?" But that's not an argument. Theft isn't fine because murder exists, and culture doesn't cease to matter because of pollution.

2) Not everybody shares your degree of worry about those issues, and if they do, they may not share your assumption that wringing out hands (or a given course of action) is the best way to solve it. But nobody disagrees that what kinds of people the next generation turn out to be matters.
I can't help it if I'm smarter than the rest of society.

When I say the government has an interest in the next generation, I don't mean so the human species will continue to exist. I mean because the demographics of a country have a huge impact on what that country is like: it's economy, it's political stability, its tolerance for risk, investment, everything. It's staggeringly important.
Again, this has literally nothing to do with hypothetical kids and the government is doing jack to help the ones that exist and doing even less to help the children of minorities. Just drive through north St. Louis city some time and tell me how they're even remotely concerned about the well being of future generations.

Moreover, they have an interest in what kind of citizens they turn out to be.
Bull crap. The people in power are concerned with what the Kocc brothers want. There's not a single government official that ever thought "we need to make sure the kids of tomorrow are well-balanced, educated individuals." Not once. If there was, would the results of this search exist they way they do?

We have a ridiculous amount of research showing that the traditional family structure produces far, far better outcomes than, say, single-parent homes. It's one of the few conclusions of the social sciences that's so definitive it begins to resemblance the hard sciences.
Why are you comparing same sex couples to single parent homes? I'm not gay, but I'd be pretty damn insulted if you told me my partner and my parenting skills were on par with a single mom. On that note, show me some of this hard evidence. I'd be willing to bet huge money that the kids raised by single parents in low income situations would reflect worse than single parents in middle-class or higher. My money would be on kids raised in poverty are worse off than those that aren't regardless of parent situation.

I think you'll find lots of arguments are invalid when you completely misunderstand them.
I'm pretty sure I understand just fine. You're trying to fill in gaps where there isn't hard evidence to cover.

Then why is it their business that they're getting married? You don't expect them to license your friendships, do you? So why license marriages? You can't play the "no damn business" card and then turn around and say we have to force states to validate the relationship they apparently have "no damn business" in.
They're not validating marriages for the sake of validating them. They're doing it because not validating them was having an adverse effect on their relationships and it made them feel like second class citizens, which, in the US, should be reserved for poor people, not gay people. Yeah, I said that, but I don't agree with it.

I explained the similarity pretty clearly, but here it is again: laws that advance government interests don't need to perfectly encompass every demographic exception. That's wildly impractical, and we don't do it anywhere. General tendencies are fine, whether the law is trying to capture most of the population that's mature enough to vote, or most of the population that's going to do the child-rearing.
This just seems to reinforce what I said. Because not everyone is gay, there's no reason not to legalize it. I'm sorry, but you still haven't provided any evidence to say that "it's for the children."

So if it ends up threatening their tax-exempt status, or people get sued or fined for refusing to participate for religious reasons, you'll change your mind on this issue?
This will literally never, ever happen. Even if some same sex couple is dumb enough to take a church to court for refusing them service and they find a lawyer dumb enough to do it, there's protections in place to prevent the gay couple from winning that legal battle. This hypothetical just doesn't make sense and it's something the losing side of this fight throws around without realizing how absurd it actually is. I'm not saying you're absurd, in general, but, seriously, you can't actually believe it would get that, right?