The MoFo Director Fan Clubs!

Tools    

I consider Billy Wilder my favorite director. I've seen 13 of his films so far, with several more to go, but all of them have impressed me to varying degrees. If I made a top 100, I think he'd have more entrants than any other director.

Tarantino turned me into a cinephile. I wrote about the impact Pulp Fiction made on me in Tongo's excellent thread that asks what movie made you fall in love with movies. Here's a link to the post: http://www.movieforums.com/community...06#post1082406

PT Anderson is the director whose films I get the most excited about nowadays. Every film he's made has been a masterpiece.

Sergio Leone is the reason I fell in love with westerns. I wish he had made more films, but I love everything he directed.

For now, I'll just join those four, although I could easily include myself in the fan clubs of Hitchcock, Herzog, Scorsese, Lynch, and the Coens.

PT Anderson is the director whose films I get the most excited about nowadays. Every film he's made has been a masterpiece.
Heh.

Honestly, I think people go too crazy about directors. I just look at individual movies. Not everything a director does is gold.

I shouldn't have said everything, since I haven't seen Hard Eight, but yeah, everything else he's directed is gold.

I shouldn't have said everything, since I haven't seen Hard Eight, but yeah, everything else he's directed is gold.
Heh!

I like him because I'm a dull kiss-ass.
That's fine. Now let me hear you say you love Mannequin.

Mannequin is retarded garbage.

I think I'll add/found The Takashi Miike Fanclub, and also join the clubs for PTA, Von Trier, Del Toro, and the Coens for starters.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Sorry I meant poorly made and horribly acted lowbrow fantasy B-movie written by an inbred autist from the Warhol School of Schtick & Kitsch.

Honestly, I think people go too crazy about directors.
Ah, you're talking my language. I've never understood the elevation of Auteur theory to some kind of all encompassing greatness. For a collaborative effort, the director gets an awful lot more of the plaudits.

I added all the requests.

@HK and Sexy:

I agree that sometimes a director shouldn't be seen as the one and only reason a film is good or bad, but certain directors just have/had the luxury during (most of) their career to make the films they want and make them the way they want to. When I look at the Fan Club list, it's clear that those kind of directors are the ones people appreciate the most (just look at the amount of writer-directors on the list, for instance).

I think it's undeniable that certain filmmakers do/did have the chance to fully express their own, unique vision on the screen and when that works out and generates good films, I think it's fair to say that the director deserves most of the credit. This is the reason why some of them have such large fanbases. They become the identification of the quality and style of their filmography. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Add me to the PTA, Woody Allen, Hitchcock, Bergman, Jarmusch, Coen bros., Tarantino and Chaplin clubs. I'd also like to found the Darren Aronofsky, David Fincher, David Lean, Richard Linklater, David Lynch and Alexander Payne fan clubs.

My favourites from each:

Requiem for a Dream

The Social Network

Lawrence of Arabia

Before Sunset

The Straight Story

About Schmidt