"Buy From Amazon" link

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
boo-urns.

My mom wanted to buy stuff off Amazon, so I let her go through the mofo link. Then she clicked off and went to Amazon.ca

Suspect's Reviews

Re: things already added to the cart. Not sure. If you want to be safe re-adding them would do it.
Yes, if someone has something in their cart and then follows the link and checks out, you will still receive your percentage.

Big thread bump!

So, advertising is pretty bad these days on the Internet--especially on forums. And I'm trying to find non-invasive, non-bothersome ways to offset the costs of our awesome new server (which is approaching a year of uptime!). One of the ones I tried way back in the day is a simple Amazon affiliate link. It's nice because you all probably use Amazon already, and it doesn't cost you anything; you just have to load Amazon through an affiliate link, and whatever you buy helps support the site a little bit.

So, what do you guys think? Worth trying this? I could stick a link somewhere convenient, and even put together a browser bookmarklet so you don't even have to remember or come to the site to do it.

Hmmm, maybe I should clarify. It works by people (like you) simply accessing Amazon through a link I post, rather than typing "amazon.com" into your browser. And that's it--it's otherwise indistinguishable from any other time you shop there. Don't need to buy anything specific, and it doesn't change the prices. It just requires remembering to access is that way (or, better yet, editing a browser bookmark, if you have one, so you don't have to remember anything).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hmmm, maybe I should clarify. It works by people (like you) simply accessing Amazon through a link I post, rather than typing "amazon.com" into your browser. And that's it--it's otherwise indistinguishable from any other time you shop there. Don't need to buy anything specific, and it doesn't change the prices. It just requires remembering to access is that way (or, better yet, editing a browser bookmark, if you have one, so you don't have to remember anything).

It sounds like a good idea as long as it's not a pop-up ad.

Most of us probably buy from Amazon all the time so if this site can make money off of us doing our normal shopping, I don't see any down side.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The moderator for this sports forum I write for would put my link so if one of the people on that sports board purchased my cd or book, he would get a portion of it..

A system of cells interlinked
Let's do this! I use Amazon frequently, and have no problem accessing it though MoFo.

The moderator for this sports forum I write for would put my link so if one of the people on that sports board purchased my cd or book, he would get a portion of it..
Yeah, that's the same principle/program. It's just not dependent on any one product or anything. Also important to note that he wasn't (and I wouldn't) get a portion of the sale, but a commission on top of it. It doesn't add to the price of reduce what the owner of the product gets.

Re: UK stuff. Doesn't look like I can do anything about that at the moment, so if you need to order from the UK site I guess it probably won't help.
I was about to buy something from Amazon but then I remembered this thread. Does buying from the UK site still not help?

Re: UK stuff. Doesn't look like I can do anything about that at the moment, so if you need to order from the UK site I guess it probably won't help.
that's a shame

I shop at amazon all the time, but to be honest I almost never use bookmarks to get to where I'm going. I find it faster to just type in the url.
Another forum I'm on has a shop at Amazon link, but I think I used it maybe one time and then forgot about it.

If you put the link up, I will at least make an effort to remember to use it.

That should still work, but I'll double-check.

I mostly wanted to ask first, though. I'll see if this week I can confirm the link and put together a few ways to make this easier on everyone who's willing to help out.

If you set it up for the .ca amazon I'll go through the forum link for anything I buy from them.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The People's Republic of Clogher
If you set it up for the .ca amazon I'll go through the forum link for anything I buy from them.
I think it only works for Amazon US.

Yeah, because the affiliate (me) is in the U.S., I think that restricts it. It did last time I checked, at least. I'll try to double-check that. Either way though I'm going to take a look this week and whipping up a few ways to make this easier.