The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Taccy...is this you?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Ha! That looks suspiciously like the outfit I was rocking just before I lost my original save.

Happy times!

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm 5th on the local Gamestop call-list. As in we will call you when we get one, but it's not a pre-order and some rando in the store is gonna be able to get their hands on it first.

I'm 5th on the local Gamestop call-list. As in we will call you when we get one, but it's not a pre-order and some rando in the store is gonna be able to get their hands on it first.
Sooner or later, someone is going to explain Amazon to them.

I've not bought a game in a brick and mortar store since ... erm ... today actually. RE7 for a fiver cheaper than the Steam sale is my excuse.

I got 3 install discs and a Steam code, which I redeemed, threw the unused discs in the bin and downloaded the game directly through Steam. Whaddya gonna do?

The same store was selling new PS4 VR kits for £50 discount. I contemplated it for a nanosecond then retreated.

Well, Nintendo have stated that there will be "significantly more" SNES Classics than there were NES Classics, however they are only guaranteeing that it will be shipping from September 28th until the end of December. Since the NES mini was discontinued just months after release, they would at least be remaining consistent if the new one also disappeared early in 2018.
Hah yeah not getting my hopes up then. The first one was impossible to get when it first came out as it came out around the holidays like this one is too. Stores wiped out for holidays then were wiped out after holidays when restocks finally came in and were basically extinct going into spring when Nintendo finally announced they were done. Nintendo does this with basically all of their products, the amiibos, the cartridges, etc. It's like they are afraid of making money. No one wants to overproduce but given their record and sales I'm fairly confident a company like them has seen enough numbers and complaints to know where to sit comfortably when it comes to supply numbers.

PUBG is truly all things to all people. Some like to spend 20 minutes cowering in a bathroom waiting for their inevitable demise, while others:

I've got pretty bad tendinitis in my left arm at the moment, something which I'm entirely blaming Brendan's Battlegrounds for.

To combat this I've decided, not to quit playing, but to spend £40 on a mouse with loads of buttons. This way, I'm only using my left hand to WASD ... which is neither a spelling mistake or euphemism.

It rumbles! They've only gone and put vibration motors in it!

Yes, I'm a sucker.

Right at the end of Dark Souls 3, with just the final boss left to fight. This of course means I am not going anywhere near the final boss at the moment.

I am prepping to purchase the DLC and then flip the game to NG+, which means lots of running around getting armors and items I missed, PVP as a Darkmoon Blade, and plenty of Jolly Cooperation as a Warrior of Sunlight. Great game! The difficulty wasn't quite on par with DS1, but I think, as Taccy mentioned, once you play through a Souls-like game, you gain the skills to deal with whatever gets thrown at you, so nothing is like that first time. As far as bosses were concerned, there were a few notable exceptions as far as difficulty: Abyss Watchers, Pontiff Sulyvann, Dragonscale Armor, Aldritch, Twin Princes, and The Nameless King all took many attempts as I slowly figured out all their tricks and how to best i-frame their attacks. I fought all bosses solo until I got them down, then I would flip covenant to Sunlight Warriors and hang out helping others fight that same boss for a bit before moving on to the next area. I really enjoyed the feature of being able to change covenants simply by changing a badge you were wearing.

As usual the story and lore were cryptic but interesting, and I made sure to try to complete as many of the NPC quest lines that I could. I somehow borked up Greirat's line, getting him killed, and I managed to complete Seigward's entire line, only to get him killed fighting Yorm. Whoops! At least I got his stuff!

Dark Souls 1 had a reputation for running out of steam a bit as you got into the final third of the game, with the last few areas not being up to par with the brilliant first sections of the game. Not so here. The final few areas were exceptionally well done; great design, challenging, moody and atmospheric. Bravo From Software!

Last day of the Steam sale today so I used the £10 in my balance (entirely from selling those silly trading cards) to put towards NieR Automata. I'd heard that the PC port has a few issues, but reckoned that for a net £16 (plus already owning the thing on PS4), I'd take the chance.

If you're after an atmospheric, story driven action game there are few released this year, even taking into account how good 2017 has been for games, to match it. Combat can get a little mash-y, which is a shame coming from a studio with such chops as Platinum, but it's fine and the adjustments you can make to your loadout mean you can fine-tune things to your liking to a pretty specific degree.

The main issue with the port is that, while you can select 1080p in the menus, the game actually renders at 900p (the Xbox One's weediness means that a surprising number of its games are an upscaled 900p and not the full 1080, and I'm guessing the NieR PC port is directly related to that) and scales up to fill your screen, which makes things look pretty blurry. I've only seen Japanese console ports do this in recent years (Dark Souls 1 and Deadly Premonition, for instance) but fortunately modders are on hand to fix things. The FAR (Fix Automata Resolution) mod is dead easy to apply and seems to work perfectly.

If you're on console I'd say that Automata is a must-have and, provided you've got a decent PC and are willing to jump through a minor hoop to make things look nicer, a definite consideration on PC as well.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hmm, possible freebie detective goodness?

2000:1: A Space Felony OR: How I Came To Value My Life And Murder Mercilessly

I've got pretty bad tendinitis in my left arm at the moment, something which I'm entirely blaming Brendan's Battlegrounds for.

To combat this I've decided, not to quit playing, but to spend £40 on a mouse with loads of buttons. This way, I'm only using my left hand to WASD ... which is neither a spelling mistake or euphemism.

It rumbles! They've only gone and put vibration motors in it!

Yes, I'm a sucker.
I have a Rumble Pad too, great they are for action games.

Rumble on mouse is kinda a gimmick - 3 games natively support it:CS Go, Minecraft and Dota, none of which I play. You can manually configure it for specific button presses but those motors make an already hefty mouse even heavier, and I'm not a fan of heavy mice.

I got a good deal on the thing - open box Amazon warehouse deal at £30 less than RRP - so if it doesn't work out, I can flip it on eBay for what I paid, or slightly more.

I think lovely Brendan hates me. Twice today I've gotten this far:

In successive games, no less. One chicken dinner in a month isn't enough for one man to survive.

I've collected all my armors and reached a point where I am ready for NG+, so I wandered over to fight the last boss. Great fight with some really challenging mechanics. I took him down on my 6th attempt. All done! Dark Souls 3 is a gem! Highly recommended.

This morning, I am feeling like I need some open world wandering about - Fallout 4, here I come!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Star Citizen have shown some more of their tech and vapours. Not bad. It's still all about those crates, but not bad

Seems to be all in-game at least ('multi-material splatting' and everything), not one of their classic convention dummy demos. Will have a play with it if it really does make it into their public alpha (next time there's a free weekend on like )