'Democracy' Never Meant What People Think It Means

Tools    

I only have one sorry, but hey one is better than nein, nien, nine? eh

Originally Posted by Golgot

The evidence you provide is that of past and current social stabilities. Viscious, cunning, top-down control is definitely the best way to maintain such a thing.
Close control is inherently unstable, the history of totalitarian societies is ample proof of this.

In the long term, societies have embraced, and need, change.
Aristocratic societies have historically been remarkably malleable without being as volatile as democratic societies, and the aristocratic state has typically been much less intrusive into the daily lives of its citizenry than more authoritarian forms or democracy.

In truth, modern liberal democracies have achieved considerable stability by essentially hiding their inner governing mechanisms (which are fundamentally oligarchic/aristocratic) behind the veil of democratic symbols (though, it should be pointed out that the United States, the liberal democracy par excellance, is increasingly open about the true nature of its government, witness the rise of dynastic politics in the last 25 years).

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Purandara88
Close control is inherently unstable, the history of totalitarian societies is ample proof of this.
Ok, so you're arguing for low-level 'aristocratic' control over local 'polities'?

Isn't that what we've already got? Why ain't you happy?

And it factors up... Bush is the big daddy of the US clans. China has always really been a divided but united land.

Your web of aristocracts exists. Possibly the only thing that could disturb it would be a mating between Kennedy and Bush

The polities are too large, which is one of the costs of democratic ideology (and the consequent pandering to the masses) being overlain on an aristocratic governing framework.

It didn't work for the Romans, and it won't work now. The end result is always the same...

Hail Caesar!

My God, this sounds almost like a power-to-the-people argument.

'Aristocratic' government is alright so long as the local district is represented?

Hail to the Roman grafitti artists

I'm looking at the city-state as sort of the ideal here. Not so much 'power to the people' as just political units that are small enough to govern without intrusive force.

Originally Posted by Pura
I'm looking at the city-state as sort of the ideal here. Not so much 'power to the people' as just political units that are small enough to govern without intrusive force.
Well, good luck with that (altho i suspect that force would still intrude, both internally and externally). I agree that this ideal has got a lot of things going for it - and that it should exist. But, there'll always be an over-arching sugar-daddy in these globalised days. Just kiss the ring and hope he doesn't notice if you don't work some days. That's kind of what i say

Originally Posted by 7th
I only have one sorry, but hey one is better than nein, nien, nine? eh
Indubitably

Well, good luck with that (altho i suspect that force would still intrude, both internally and externally). I agree that this ideal has got a lot of things going for it - and that it should exist. But, there'll always be an over-arching sugar-daddy in these globalised days. Just kiss the ring and hope he doesn't notice if you don't work some days. That's kind of what i say
I would tend to agree. Liberal democracy is ideally suited to exploiting globalism, market capitalism and technology...and ideally suited to turning these towards the pacification of the masses. The limitation, of course, is sustainability, because liberal consumer democracy ultimately relies on its ability to keep providing pacification (i.e. plastic baubles for the landfill), which, given the finity of resources, isn't perpetually attainable.

The limitation, of course, is sustainability, because liberal consumer democracy ultimately relies on its ability to keep providing pacification (i.e. plastic baubles for the landfill), which, given the finity of resources, isn't perpetually attainable.
Well, some would argue that it's more the spending power of imaginary-dollars that we should be worried about. If the US consumer stops shopping due to debt, then both the US economy, and hence the world's, does a little dive onto its own head. So i understand.

I'm sure Yods has plenty to say on the liability of such and occurance tho. I'm just a dabbler in economic to-and-fros.

If you wanna get 'sustainable' in eco-terms tho, you can check out my signature links for a start. There's plenty of long-term issues that our societies, and politicians, would rather avoid

If you wanna get 'sustainable' in eco-terms tho, you can check out my signature links for a start. There's plenty of long-term issues that our societies, and politicians, would rather avoid
And the ideology of liberal democracy is a major element in that malfeasance...

And the ideology of liberal democracy is a major element in that malfeasance...
On which grounds? The idea of rotating government? The idea of population-knows-best? (Which is regularly avoided, and can be overcome when necessary).

I reckon most forms of government focus on short-term risk over long-term. Groups do it. Individuals do it. What form of government do you think would handle long-term risks in a better way?

Given that not all local areas feel the affects of global warming in the same way, how could we expect a 'global' reaction from disparate city-states, for example? They could tackle obvious issues like landfill, if they were self-contained (altho frankly they might just send the waste elsewhere, if they were rich enough) - but could such proto-states deal with a global problem?

Eh?

(I ain't saying the 'democratic' and 'other' states are doing a particuarly good job right now - but at least these power-blocks make tackling the problem feasible )

Originally Posted by Golgot
On which grounds? The idea of rotating government? The idea of population-knows-best? (Which is regularly avoided, and can be overcome when necessary).
Liberalism has two primary ideals: the first is limited visible coercion (liberty) and the second is material comfort (prosperity). And it's ability to deliver liberty and prosperity is the fundamental basis of democratic stability. Anything which would tend to result in a restriction of liberty or prosperity - which the most effective steps for renewing the ecological health of our planet would require - is a political impossibility in a liberal democratic society.

To deal effectively with environmental issues, you need a political structure that isn't directly beholden to the mass of people, and isn't primarily constructed by economic ideology. It's no accident that the only government in modern history that ever fundamentally intergrated ecological concerns into its ruling methodology was led by that crazy looking guy with the little tiny 'stache.

The primary advantage of smaller political units would be that they would tend to undermine the ability to maintain the technological infrastructure of (post)modern existence, which would have enormous ecological benefits.

...it's ability to deliver liberty and prosperity is the fundamental basis of democratic stability. Anything which would tend to result in a restriction of liberty or prosperity - which the most effective steps for renewing the ecological health of our planet would require - is a political impossibility in a liberal democratic society.
There's an argument that says peacetime societies pursue individual liberty (and free spending ), whereas wartime encourages social responsability. To cast things in a harsh light, would you prefer a war-footing to force people to act responsibly on all fronts? There's still a social-responsibility perspective in democratic societies i'd say.

To deal effectively with environmental issues, you need a political structure that isn't directly beholden to the mass of people, and isn't primarily constructed by economic ideology.
a) The systems isn't directly beholden to the mass of people when it comes to executive decisions. They can still get things done if the right words are used. In advance .
b) Find me a system that won't pursue the 'easy option' (namely using available energy-resources for immediate-advantage, in this case)

It's no accident that the only government in modern history that ever fundamentally intergrated ecological concerns into its ruling methodology was led by that crazy looking guy with the little tiny 'stache.
Kinda backs up the first theory. Deprivation can lead to an ideal of whole-'wholesomeness'. Yes, the Nazis were Eco-warriors, amongst other things. But they'd just emerged out of ecological, social, and economic destruction. It's no surprise they wanted something more wholesome. I'm not sure that they can stand as an example on this.

The primary advantage of smaller political units would be that they would tend to undermine the ability to maintain the technological infrastructure of (post)modern existence, which would have enormous ecological benefits.
How so? Tech-transfer would mean that people would always want what they don't have. And someone, somewhere, would be making it.

There's an argument that says peacetime societies pursue individual liberty (and free spending ), whereas wartime encourages social responsability. To cast things in a harsh light, would you prefer a war-footing to force people to act responsibly on all fronts?
That's part of the idea behind small polities. It creates an atmosphere of tension and conflict that has all sorts of benefits.

There's still a social-responsibility perspective in democratic societies i'd say.
Yeah, but it's tied up with the idea of economic prosperity. It's pity based and ultimately self-destructive. We don't need to save everyone, we've got billions of excess humans as it is.

As one friend of mine put it, "If a few million Africans have to die for us to have more wild elephants, well, I never really liked Africans anyway, but elephants rock!"

How so? Tech-transfer would mean that people would always want what they don't have. And someone, somewhere, would be making it.
Not necessarily. Technological society requires large nation-states, for the simple reason that only nation-states have the internal resources to operate a technology infrastructure, or the ability to negotiate one.

Simple answer:

Purandara88, go back to the feudal era, and die.

---epitaph---

Global population problems in no way justify what you've just said. You twat.

Well, I would modify it to say that we need to reduce population across the board, first worlders overconsume, so their population footprint is much higher than their numbers would suggest. But if you've got a population problem, well, there's only one way to fix that. Pity doesn't help ensure the long term survival of the species. This is one of the major reasons I believe the first world should eliminate ALL in-migration from the third world, you massively increase the ecological footprint of these people just by moving them to first world economies. Keep them out and salvage the future for everyone.

It's not popular, but you have to look at things holistically. Human life at the individual level is a meaningless thing. The species matters. Cultures matter, but people individually? Not very much. When weighed against the future, what do a percentage of the lives of the present really amount to? Again, not very much.

Here's what I think. If you've got people dying of famine, or fighting a bloody war over water and food, or a massive pandemic, that's a message from nature, and the message is, "There are too many people living here, it's time to thin the herd." The problem of pity is structurally akin to the problem we frequently face with wildfires; misplaced altruism now frequently means the coming disaster is made worse by several orders of magnitude. Technological society can temporarily sustain far more lives than could ever be sustained in the past (and 'temporary' could be quite a long time), but entropy being what it is, all it does is delay the big die off, and ensure that it will be more catastrophic when it DOES come.

Well, I would modify it to say that we need to reduce population across the board, first worlders overconsume, so their population footprint is much higher than their numbers would suggest. But if you've got a population problem, well, there's only one way to fix that. Pity doesn't help ensure the long term survival of the species. This is one of the major reasons I believe the first world should eliminate ALL in-migration from the third world, you massively increase the ecological footprint of these people just by moving them to first world economies. Keep them out and salvage the future for everyone.

It's not popular, but you have to look at things holistically. Human life at the individual level is a meaningless thing. The species matters. Cultures matter, but people individually? Not very much. When weighed against the future, what do a percentage of the lives of the present really amount to? Again, not very much.

Here's what I think. If you've got people dying of famine, or fighting a bloody war over water and food, or a massive pandemic, that's a message from nature, and the message is, "There are too many people living here, it's time to thin the herd." The problem of pity is structurally akin to the problem we frequently face with wildfires; misplaced altruism now frequently means the coming disaster is made worse by several orders of magnitude. Technological society can temporarily sustain far more lives than could ever be sustained in the past (and 'temporary' could be quite a long time), but entropy being what it is, all it does is delay the big die off, and ensure that it will be more catastrophic when it DOES come.
Nonsense.

How long do you think western universities could continue to offer courses to home students for the prices they do without foreign students paying a premium?

How long would the health services of the post-industrial world last without foreign doctors?

How long would the American and European economies stagger along without migrant workers willing to work for one-eighteenth of a pittance?

And what about the political reprecussions? If the west closed its borders, how long do you think it'd maintain prefered trader status with the rest of the world? With trade deficits deepening on both sides of the atlantic, we can't afford to have emerging markets in the East boycotting American cola, British financial services and German engineering. It'd kill us faster than we're killing ourselves. Not to mention the risk of the Indians and Russians falling in with a new Chinese power block that became hostile to the west. We can say goodbye to Russian gas and Russian oil, then we'd be fully dependent on an increasingly volatile OPEC (Except America, but how many more years of Candaian oil do you think there's left? Less than five before peak, according to Paul Roberts' excellent book). Do you realise how many chemicals are only obtainable in Africa? How many loans, how many trillions of dollars of infrastructure investment we have in the developing world? How many oil pipelines and exclusive mining contracts that are only maintained due to keeping certain borderline-tribal nations sweet?
Not to mention the dangers to the pharmacutical industry. Hell, if we upset the Chinese enough they might stop investing in us. The economic fallout could make the Great Depression look like 80's Wall Street.

In these days of waning American power and collapsing European birthrates it's more absurd than ever to suggest isolationism. We're more reliant than ever on the rest of the world and it's going to take incredible feats of diplomacy to keep us in the manner to which we have become accustomed over the next two decades.

As for the individual vs. "culture and species". What rot. Only the individual is capable of the genius we need to get out of this mess. Humankind has never been advanced in quantum leaps by a committee of mediocrity. Charles Babbage, Nikola Tesla, Adam Smith, David Hume, Isaac Newton, Henry Ford, Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Seymour Cray, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Albert Einstein, Francis Bacon and Christ. There is a tendency to dismiss great individuals as myths, a by-product of the human mind's desire to create totemic heroes. But each of these individuals have shaped the world around them in ways a collectivist "culture" never could. I gurantee you, when we perfect fusion or hydrogen technology, it probably won't be because of a team, it'll be a revelation to an individual.

Global warming, water shortages, global pandemics and international strife don't scare me. What scares me is the reactionary measures people'll resort to when faced with these problems. What's important is we keep a grip and don't abandon our reason, tolerance and common sense. Simple solutions never work in a complicated world.

And since when did we take "message[s] from nature"? We shut her up with the enlightenment.

Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
Nonsense.

How long do you think western universities could continue to offer courses to home students for the prices they do without foreign students paying a premium?
Indefinitely, if they're compelled to. Foreign students make up a tiny fraction of university students, so their impact isn't that significant anyway.

How long would the health services of the post-industrial world last without foreign doctors?
We'd have to restructure incentives and educational funding, but it could be done. The attraction of foreign doctors is that they work cheap.

How long would the American and European economies stagger along without migrant workers willing to work for one-eighteenth of a pittance?
This is vastly overstated. Even undocumented workers in the US make on average far above minimum wage ($5.15 an hour). They just make less than native born workers in the same fields.

And what about the political reprecussions? If the west closed its borders, how long do you think it'd maintain prefered trader status with the rest of the world?
Forever. The rest of the world lacks the resources and technology to operate and maintain even a semi-modern infrastructure without Western products and expertise, and they lack the economic wherewithal to operate without access to Western markets. It might, however, force third world countries to fix their problems instead of shunting excess population to the West. The 'safety valve' only ensures that things never get quite bad enough to force change.

With trade deficits deepening on both sides of the atlantic, we can't afford to have emerging markets in the East boycotting American cola, British financial services and German engineering.
Sure we can. Those 'emerging markets' rely on the established markets of the West for their economic security. Not to mention the fact that none of these countries is even remotely able to feed itself without importing American grain staples.

It'd kill us faster than we're killing ourselves.
Bull****. They need us FAR more than we need them, because we have the food. China and India are the world's largest net grain importers. Not one of the major Asian nations is self-sufficient when it comes to staple food production (unlike, say, the US, which has enormous grain surpluses every year). If an all out trade war developed, the US might see unemployment jump to 10% (similar to what is found in the advanced economies of Western Europe). China and India would teeter on the verge of starvation. Corn may not be as expensive as Saudi light sweet crude, but you can't eat a barrel of oil, even if you sell it for $300.

Not to mention the risk of the Indians and Russians falling in with a new Chinese power block that became hostile to the west.
You think Russia or China gives a rats ass about Mexican and Honduran lettuce pickers? They know where their bread is buttered, and it ain't in El Salvador. Your whole theory falls apart because it isn't based on realistic calculations of national interest. The West could freeze immigration tomorrow and the Chinese, the Indians and the Ruskies wouldn't bat an eye. Neither would the Saudis. Why? It wouldn't be any skin off their teeth. And it sure as hell would be skin off their teeth if they no longer had solid access to European and American markets.

How many loans, how many trillions of dollars of infrastructure investment we have in the developing world? How many oil pipelines and exclusive mining contracts that are only maintained due to keeping certain borderline-tribal nations sweet?
Not one of which would stop doing business with their cash cow if the West cut off immigration. They need those dollars and euros, and they've got nowhere else to go to get them.

Not to mention the dangers to the pharmacutical industry. Hell, if we upset the Chinese enough they might stop investing in us. The economic fallout could make the Great Depression look like 80's Wall Street.
You still haven't provided a lick of evidence to suggest that closing the West to third world immigration would result in China cutting off its nose to spite its face. Your whole theory pretty much depends on the Beijing government being intimately concerned with the fate of Nicaraguan dishwashers and Libyan bellhops when they aren't all that concerned with the fate of their own people.

In these days of waning American power and collapsing European birthrates it's more absurd than ever to suggest isolationism.
You seem to have forgotten to read anything in this thread. The world is overpopulated, I WANT fewer people, especially in the West, where the ecological footprint of individuals is massive.

We're more reliant than ever on the rest of the world and it's going to take incredible feats of diplomacy to keep us in the manner to which we have become accustomed over the next two decades.
We can't afford to sustain this ridiculously overconsumptive lifestyle. The world is overpopulated, ecosystems are overtaxed. In the long run, we have to dismantle hypertechnological society, not maintain it.

As for the individual vs. "culture and species". What rot. Only the individual is capable of the genius we need to get out of this mess.
Absolutely, but we don't need excess individuals, just, say, the best 20%.

Global warming, water shortages, global pandemics and international strife don't scare me. What scares me is the reactionary measures people'll resort to when faced with these problems. What's important is we keep a grip and don't abandon our reason, tolerance and common sense. Simple solutions never work in a complicated world.
All solutions are fundamentally simple. The 'complex' aspect is making sure they are implemented.

And since when did we take "message[s] from nature"? We shut her up with the enlightenment.
The Enlightenment is a hundred years dead. Nature is still there. It's a little bit like the God and Nietzsche bumper sticker.

Alright. I'm going to adopt your post style, it's much more sensible.

Indefinitely, if they're compelled to. Foreign students make up a tiny fraction of university students, so their impact isn't that significant anyway.
Source: http://www.aip.org/fyi/2004/111.html
Foreign Students make up 13% of total graduates and in the region of 50% in some science and technology fields. It's even higher here in the UK. Considering foreign students pay much more to study in western higher-education, that's a massive loss in terms of revenue for universities. That translates either to a massive hike for home students, which will discourage all but the most privileged from attending or a drop in the quality of facilities, which will damage the west's competitive edge in high technology.
Regardless of direct financial consequences, this would constitute a crippling brain drain for the west. We're already running low on hard-science graduates as more and more people opt for, haha, "degrees" in media studies or art history.
Source:http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1998/nsf9895/math.htm
Mathematics students tend to gather in the strongest research centers, a tradition that began over a century ago. Before 1940, it was common for the best U.S. students to study in Europe; after World War II, the U.S. reputation in mathematics grew rapidly, and for the past 15 years, a majority of Ph.D. graduates of U.S. institutions have been non-U.S. citizens. In 1996, non-U.S. citizens earned 55% of total doctoral degrees in mathematical and computer sciences(see Endnote 8). Other strong international research centers are also attracting foreign students. In France, international students now earn one out of three doctoral degrees awarded in all fields of science; in Japan, that proportion is 40%; and in England, 27%, with many students from commonwealth countries and the United States(see Endnote 9). Germany supports foreign graduate students and postdoctorates on Humboldt Fellowships.
Sounds like the US might be crippling itself slightly if it lost 55% of its Maths and Computer Studies PhD graduates.

We'd have to restructure incentives and educational funding, but it could be done. The attraction of foreign doctors is that they work cheap.
The west isn't training enough doctors. In the UK they're paid the same wage as doctors born here. As for the US:
Source:http://www.investors.com/editorial/I...issue=20060606
Admittedly an article attacking the notion of universal healthcare, but the figures stand. "By 2020, the U.S. could be short 90,000 to 200,000 doctors, Merritt, Hawkins estimates."
I wouldn't fire those Indian radiologists just yet.
Although I'm keen to hear what you're willing to offer people to train as doctors.

This is vastly overstated. Even undocumented workers in the US make on average far above minimum wage ($5.15 an hour). They just make less than native born workers in the same fields.
Wait. How do you know how much undocumented workers are being paid? That's like saying "unreported crime is on the rise". There are no figures.
Source: http://www.management-issues.com/dis...search&id=2088
"left-leaning think tank" Oh dear. Although the point still stands. Also check out the other related articles.
Source: http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/60009
Specific to Utah, but makes an important point. Particularly the "agricultural labour" native-born workers don't want to do. Lose them, and you might see that grain surplus diminished.

Forever. The rest of the world lacks the resources and technology to operate and maintain even a semi-modern infrastructure without Western products and expertise, and they lack the economic wherewithal to operate without access to Western markets. It might, however, force third world countries to fix their problems instead of shunting excess population to the West. The 'safety valve' only ensures that things never get quite bad enough to force change.
Hubris. You may be able to hermetically seal borders against people getting in, but do you propose you also stop people leaving? Legion western engineers work abroad at the behest of private firms. Third world countries are perfectly capable of paying for western expertise and essential technology without buying the vast majority of what we produce. McDonalds needs a restaurant in Tiananmen Square and Coke needs every store in Ecuador to sell its bottled vile to keep their shareholders happy.

Sure we can. Those 'emerging markets' rely on the established markets of the West for their economic security. Not to mention the fact that none of these countries is even remotely able to feed itself without importing American grain staples.
You're right on the first point, although it's an interdependence. That's the heart of globalisation. By the way, america's not the only country with a surplus. The eastern-european nations have been over-producing grain for years, and India has a mountain of the stuff:
SOURCE:http://www.guardian.co.uk/GWeekly/St...843366,00.html
60m tonnes of surplus. Well, India has an estimated population of one billion, so that's 60kG of grain for every living person in India of surplus. Sure, the corruption and bureaucracy is letting this go to waste at the moment, but it indicates the majority of indians'll survive without importing from the US if needs must. And for those who don't? Well, the dynastic nature of indian politics indicates that the deaths of a few untouchables won't upset things too much.
As for China...
Source: http://www.inquit.com/chinas-food-im...in-perspective
But can US farmers survive without selling their grain to the third world?

Bull****. They need us FAR more than we need them, because we have the food. China and India are the world's largest net grain importers. Not one of the major Asian nations is self-sufficient when it comes to staple food production (unlike, say, the US, which has enormous grain surpluses every year). If an all out trade war developed, the US might see unemployment jump to 10% (similar to what is found in the advanced economies of Western Europe). China and India would teeter on the verge of starvation. Corn may not be as expensive as Saudi light sweet crude, but you can't eat a barrel of oil, even if you sell it for $300.
Addressed above. I think China and India could survive without US exports, and even if they experienced a deficit that might threaten their political stability (which would have to be huge, China is a very stable country, much more so than your average western liberal democracy) there's always some of Eastern Europe's grain going cheap.
On what do you base the 10% figure?
Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Current US unemployment stands at an average 4.6%, a paltry rise of 5.4% seems unlikely.

You think Russia or China gives a rats ass about Mexican and Honduran lettuce pickers? They know where their bread is buttered, and it ain't in El Salvador. Your whole theory falls apart because it isn't based on realistic calculations of national interest. The West could freeze immigration tomorrow and the Chinese, the Indians and the Ruskies wouldn't bat an eye. Neither would the Saudis. Why? It wouldn't be any skin off their teeth. And it sure as hell would be skin off their teeth if they no longer had solid access to European and American markets.
Did I mention Mexico? Or Honduran? My point was we rely on China, India and Russia. My particular example was Russian oil and gas. If we close our borders to these countries it'll be taken as a snub, which it is. Russia is a wounded bear, but a recovering one. With its mineral assets, fossil fuel reserves, vast desperate workforce and personal property laws that date from the days of the Tzar, it's not hard to imagine Russia having the strength and flexibility to return as a world power and it's in our interests to have them on our side this time around. If India, China and Russia formed an anti-western block they'd have the edge over us in every area except technology, which can be easily aquired. (See The Economist for full details)

Not one of which would stop doing business with their cash cow if the West cut off immigration. They need those dollars and euros, and they've got nowhere else to go to get them.
These nations tend to be very capricious. I wouldn't be so quick to predict the actions of peoples who change their leaders more often than most people buy new jeans. There have been countless instances of western business having their fingers burned in the developing world by assuming their rules work the world over.

You still haven't provided a lick of evidence to suggest that closing the West to third world immigration would result in China cutting off its nose to spite its face. Your whole theory pretty much depends on the Beijing government being intimately concerned with the fate of Nicaraguan dishwashers and Libyan bellhops when they aren't all that concerned with the fate of their own people.
hah, I don't expect altruism anywhere but to assuage the guilt of the middle classes. My point is that closing western borders could have a dangerous geo-political domino effect. Not to mention that the chinese elite aren't likely to take kindly to being denied the priviledge of buying a New York summer pad or sending their children to Oxford, Harvard or MIT. I admit I'm extrapolating, but I did use the caveat "if".

You seem to have forgotten to read anything in this thread. The world is overpopulated, I WANT fewer people, especially in the West, where the ecological footprint of individuals is massive.
It'll be hard for the west to impose its will on the world, or maintain its various economies without young people. The pensions alone could throttle even the most advanced state, and who'd serve in the armies? It's all well and good to demand smaller ecological footprints in the west by letting the population wither, but that's not going to stop China building cheap coal-fired power stations or dumping arsenic in the rivers. In the west we're developing technologies to reduce our carbon footprints, from sequestering carbon for clean-burning coal to perfecting solar power, Germany has made some marvellous advances in this field. Also, the middle classes seem to have taken up the eco-cause with avengence and any reader of decent socio-political literature will know that once the middle classes care, the gears of government start to grind into action.

We can't afford to sustain this ridiculously overconsumptive lifestyle. The world is overpopulated, ecosystems are overtaxed. In the long run, we have to dismantle hypertechnological society, not maintain it.
Agreed. But, how would you rather do it? The complicated way of sophisticated psychological and emotional attack on the common people through the media, celebrity endorsements and the twin evils of lobbyists' rhetoric and political self-interest or just killing everybody? Guilt, shame and duty mould the public mind and once you have a grasp on that, you can do more than simple destruction ever will. (copyright, Niccolo Machiavelli)
Chin up, human beings are the most advanced species on the planet and we have become the masters of it through our ingenuity. Hypertechnical society is all that can save us at this point. There's a famous quote by someone I can't quite remember the name of, but it runs something like: "There are two cliff faces, between which there is a void. Technology has built a bridge of light half-way across and we now stand directly over the maw."
We can't return to the side we started at. Most credible scientists agree that the ecological damage we have inflicted has reached the point of no return. Fish stocks have largely dropped below sustainable, global warming has reached the dreaded feedback point where carbon sinks start releasing carbon without human intervention and we can't sustain half the world's population without GM crops. All we can do is keep progressing and rely on our technology to save us. I'm no techno-utopian, but we have very little choice, short of withdrawing entirely and hoping that we haven't bjorked the environment to the point that our constant supervision of it isn't necessary to maintain a handful of people.

Absolutely, but we don't need excess individuals, just, say, the best 20%.
How would you find the best 20%? Geniuses don't arise from particular social groups or backgrounds. It's just serendipity. The wealthy are no candidates, nor are those who score best on IQ tests. The actually skilled people reside in the lower socio-economic groups and the knowledgeable in the higher. I understand you have a certain disdain for the people at the bottom, but without them you couldn't survive.

All solutions are fundamentally simple. The 'complex' aspect is making sure they are implemented.
Everything's fundamentally simple if you reduce it enough. Boil DNA for an hour and you have something incredibly simple, but not terribly useful.

The Enlightenment is a hundred years dead. Nature is still there. It's a little bit like the God and Nietzsche bumper sticker.
The Enlightenment'll only be dead when the majority of the west doesn't confuse its fundamental philosophies for timeless virtues.

Anyway, I thought National Socialists were keen on Nietzsche. You're letting your side down.

Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
Source: http://www.aip.org/fyi/2004/111.html
Foreign Students make up 13% of total graduates and in the region of 50% in some science and technology fields.
1. That's 13% of GRADUATE students...a tiny fraction of the overall total. Most college revenue comes from undergrads, which are overwhelmingly native born.

2. The vast majority of foreign students in the US and Europe are on temporary student visas. When they complete their education, they go home. Restrictions on permanent immigration would have no impact them.

It's even higher here in the UK. Considering foreign students pay much more to study in western higher-education, that's a massive loss in terms of revenue for universities.
No, it would be a drop in the bucket, even if you lost all the foreign students (but, as we've seen, you'd actually lose very few).

That translates either to a massive hike for home students, which will discourage all but the most privileged from attending or a drop in the quality of facilities, which will damage the west's competitive edge in high technology.
How so? The reason that third world students come to the West for technical education is that their own countries lack the means to provide that education. The limitations of non-Western higher education systems would keep them running behind regardless.

Regardless of direct financial consequences, this would constitute a crippling brain drain for the west. We're already running low on hard-science graduates as more and more people opt for, haha, "degrees" in media studies or art history.
Source:http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1998/nsf9895/math.htm
1. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The US job market in hard science fields is very tight (primarily due to outsourcing those jobs to foreign countries), and the pay and benefits in relation to costs of an advanced graduate school education are not favorable. Foreigners will work for less than Americans and Europeans, so those fields become less appealing. If the job markets weren't flooded with foreigners willing to work for 20-30% less than their native born counterparts, Americans and Europeans would make the investment in a hard science graduate education in much larger numbers. This is one of those 'jobs that Americans won't do' arguments that is really a 'jobs Americans won't do on the cheap' argument. Tech companies have extremely high profit margins, they can absorb the cost of paying all their workers at the going rate for Americans in the field.

2. You seem to be ignoring the big picture in this argument, which is that I don't care about maintaining a high-technology existence, and, in fact, want to see it rolled back to protect humanity from its own overconsumption.

The west isn't training enough doctors. In the UK they're paid the same wage as doctors born here.
Which is a **** wage in comparison to the cost of eduction due to the NHS.

As for the US:
Source:http://www.investors.com/editorial/I...issue=20060606
Admittedly an article attacking the notion of universal healthcare, but the figures stand. "By 2020, the U.S. could be short 90,000 to 200,000 doctors, Merritt, Hawkins estimates."

The US has and will continue to have plenty of native borns to fill the specialist positions, oncologists and the like, who make enough to more than compensate for the costs of education. The problem is for GP's, who by and large don't. The solution is pretty simple though. The state needs to subsidize the cost of education for all med school students. If the cost of becoming a doctor goes down, you'll have a lot more people going into the field. We have an RN shortage too, which could at least be partially alleviated through the same means. Especially if the state would partially underwrite salaries as well to make it a more financially lucrative option.

Wait. How do you know how much undocumented workers are being paid? That's like saying "unreported crime is on the rise". There are no figures.
Simple, we know what companies in fields that primarily employ immigrant (often undocumented) labor are paying. And while it's less than they used to pay (in fields like construction and warehouse work), it's still well above minimum wage.

Source: http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/60009
Specific to Utah, but makes an important point. Particularly the "agricultural labour" native-born workers don't want to do. Lose them, and you might see that grain surplus diminished.
Grain crops don't rely on immigrant labor, which is mostly reserved for labor intensive 'picking' crops like lettuce and fruit, which Americans could easily afford to pay more for, and would. Staples aren't labor intensive. They're grass man. You sow it, you grow it, you mow it.

Hubris. You may be able to hermetically seal borders against people getting in, but do you propose you also stop people leaving?
If the jobs are HERE, they won't have to leave on contract work abroad, and they won't. And how do you square this with your notion that all these foreign countries would suddenly cut off all trade contacts with the West if the West brought its immigration policies in line with the immigration policies already practiced by the rest of the world.

You're right on the first point, although it's an interdependence. That's the heart of globalisation. By the way, america's not the only country with a surplus. The eastern-european nations have been over-producing grain for years
Not in quanities large enough to make up for American grain if it were taken off the market.

and India has a mountain of the stuff:
India remains a net grain importer, however, and this will only get worse as its population grows AND the country continues to put most of its resources into urban technological infrastructure. It produces surpluses that it cannot deliver even to home markets because it lacks the internal infrastructure for distributing and storing surplus. The government isn't investing in developing this infrastructure because it is, for the time being, simply cheaper to buy American grain. The problem for India is that they are experiencing explosive population growth and, at the same time, their agricultural labor force is shrinking due to economic boom in the cities. Agricultural production and the ability to distribute it are not likely to keep up with increased demand, and it is highly unlikely that the government will take the necessary steps to shore up the infrastructure.

[quote]As for China...
Source: http://www.inquit.com/chinas-food-imports-in-perspective
[quote]

This is actually something I've studied fairly intensely, and I disagree with the article's conclusions. China's agricultural shortfalls are related in part to the rising demands of wealth, but they are primarily the product of structural deficiencies in the post-Reform Chinese economy. The government poured enormous resources into modernizing China's urban regions and particularly into developing the nation's high tech capabilities, totally ignoring the agricultural sector, which has continued to muddle along with equipment and techniques that were obsolete at the time of Mao's death in 1976. Their agricultural techniques are MUCH more labor intensive than those of Western nations, but the combination of China's one child policy and the economic explosion in the cities has combined to reduce the rural agricultural labor force. There's no way that China can keep up with domestic demand unless it makes fundamental changes in how it allocates its resources internally, and it won't do that so long as high tech industry for the foreign market remains the goose that laid the golden egg. This is precisely the same phenomenon we saw in China during the last great wave of globalization (the 1920s), and when the crash came, the results were catastrophic (and, ultimately, resulted in the Maoist triumph).

But can US farmers survive without selling their grain to the third world?
As I've already indicated, the third world can't get by without US farmers. They're in no danger.

Addressed above. I think China and India could survive without US exports, and even if they experienced a deficit that might threaten their political stability (which would have to be huge, China is a very stable country, much more so than your average western liberal democracy)
What the hell are you talking about? China has endured multiple civil wars since the mid 19th century alone. We're less than 20 years removed from a massive internal dislocation that had to be suppressed with the full weight of the PLA. There are seperatist groups active in the northwest, and outside of their traditional heartland, the Han Chinese are HATED by the many ethnic minority groups. If someone has told you that China is more stable than Western liberal democracies, you've been sold a bill of goods.

On what do you base the 10% figure?
The very worst years of the Depression saw unemployment rise to 22%, and the US economy is far more resistant to massive dislocation than it was in those days. A rise to 10% would see unemployment go up my more than 100%, that's a huge jump. I just don't see even the worst trade war having anything like the kind of adverse consequences that the Depression.

Did I mention Mexico? Or Honduran? My point was we rely on China, India and Russia.
Immigration from these countries to the US is negligible. Your whole theory relies on the Chinese, the Russians and the Indians being willing to cut themselves off from Western markets if the West closes its borders to third world immigration.

My particular example was Russian oil and gas. If we close our borders to these countries it'll be taken as a snub, which it is.
And how would closing the borders to IMMIGRATION be a snub to Russia? The Russians don't care about immigration, they care about access to markets. You're spinning a nightmare fantasy on the basis of a reaction that would never occur.

These nations tend to be very capricious. I wouldn't be so quick to predict the actions of peoples who change their leaders more often than most people buy new jeans.
Russia has had two leaders in the last 15 years. China has had the same ruling cabal since 1977. Both countries have latent instabilities that could easily explode into civil war granted the right impetus (and Western countries cutting off immigration from nations that aren't Russia or China isn't going to be one of them), but neither of them is 'capricious' or unpredictable on the world stage.

There have been countless instances of western business having their fingers burned in the developing world by assuming their rules work the world over.
Sure, corruption in the developing world can bite big time, but saying that China is corrupt is not the same as saying that the Chinese government will act counter to its own interests just to spite the West. There aren't any altruists in the Beijing regime (or the Kremlin, for that matter).

My point is that closing western borders could have a dangerous geo-political domino effect. Not to mention that the chinese elite aren't likely to take kindly to being denied the priviledge of buying a New York summer pad or sending their children to Oxford, Harvard or MIT.
How would closing the borders to permanent immigration accomplish any of that? Not to trade. Not to student visas. Not to tourism. PERMANENT IMMIGRATION.

You're talking out your ass.

It'll be hard for the west to impose its will on the world, or maintain its various economies without young people.
You seem to operate under the notion that I give a rat's ass about maintaining Western hegemony and hypertechnological society. I don't. I couldn't care less.

The pensions alone could throttle even the most advanced state, and who'd serve in the armies?
The US is already moving towards fielding a robot army, they're talking about shipping 10,000 of the things to Iraq. But that's really a side issue. I WANT to see the collapse of the current social and economic order. It is necessary to preserve a future for humanity.

It's all well and good to demand smaller ecological footprints in the west by letting the population wither, but that's not going to stop China building cheap coal-fired power stations or dumping arsenic in the rivers.
The incentive to do so goes away when the markets do.

In the west we're developing technologies to reduce our carbon footprints, from sequestering carbon for clean-burning coal to perfecting solar power, Germany has made some marvellous advances in this field.
Sure we are, but reducing carbon footprint in world with 10 billion humans won't matter. You can't reduce carbon footprint faster than population growth, and there's no political will in the biggest offenders (the US chief among them) to implement technological changes anyway due to the expense. The Western lifestyle is fundamentally unsustainable. It requires far too much in the way of space, food and energy outlays. These are all finite, and all come at the cost of the natural environment.

And none of that addresses the problems of feeding, clothing and housing an exploding third world population without destroying ecosytems to do so, even if we don't take into account THEIR desire to live at a Western level.

Also, the middle classes seem to have taken up the eco-cause with avengence and any reader of decent socio-political literature will know that once the middle classes care, the gears of government start to grind into action.
The cream of the middle class was fired up about Maoism in 1968 too, but guess what, we're not addressing our heads of government as Comrade Chairman...

Agreed. But, how would you rather do it? The complicated way of sophisticated psychological and emotional attack on the common people through the media, celebrity endorsements and the twin evils of lobbyists' rhetoric and political self-interest or just killing everybody? Guilt, shame and duty mould the public mind and once you have a grasp on that, you can do more than simple destruction ever will. (copyright, Niccolo Machiavelli)
First step: remove the hand of pity. If Africans starve, they shouldn't have overgrazed their habitat. If ghetto children can't get medical care, well, that's a side effect of having children you can't afford.

Second step: education

Third step: a sensible program of eugenics

Hypertechnical society is all that can save us at this point. There's a famous quote by someone I can't quite remember the name of, but it runs something like: "There are two cliff faces, between which there is a void. Technology has built a bridge of light half-way across and we now stand directly over the maw."
We can't return to the side we started at.
Sure we can, we just have to kick the dead weight off into the chasm.

Most credible scientists agree that the ecological damage we have inflicted has reached the point of no return. Fish stocks have largely dropped below sustainable, global warming has reached the dreaded feedback point where carbon sinks start releasing carbon without human intervention and we can't sustain half the world's population without GM crops.
Then let them starve. It doesn't take nearly as much to sustain a population of 2 billion as it does to sustain a population of 7 billion. Long term, we probably need to get down to about half that (1 billion) and keep it there through strict monitoring and eugenics. If we don't, well, at that point, we're extinct so I guess it doesn't really matter.

How would you find the best 20%? Geniuses don't arise from particular social groups or backgrounds.
Not actually true, as IQ distributions will show you.

nor are those who score best on IQ tests.
Of course they are. Intelligence is the single most important factor (though you would want to screen out people with serious congenital physical or mental health problems) in human survival.

The actually skilled people reside in the lower socio-economic groups and the knowledgeable in the higher.
The intelligent can become skilled, the stupid will never be be knowledgeable. That's what education is for

I understand you have a certain disdain for the people at the bottom, but without them you couldn't survive.
Sure I could, I already grow or hunt about half of what I personally eat, and could manage the rest easily if the need arose.

The Enlightenment'll only be dead when the majority of the west doesn't confuse its fundamental philosophies for timeless virtues.
The Enlightenment is already dead among those that matter. Whe cares what the peons in flyover country believe?

Anyway, I thought National Socialists were keen on Nietzsche. You're letting your side down.
It's an analogy, not a statement of faith.