Being Asexual

Tools    

Well, I think my position is almost the same as that: since I am a healthy person with strong libido (libido is very different from being sexual) but being asexual means I will have much greater difficulties getting a partner than a heterosexual or homosexual person.

Indeed. It's harder to find asexual people but possible.

Well, life is never perfect and we have to make the most of what we have.
Interesting. How do I put this in PG-13 wording...
Do you have internal sexual feelings that manifest externally? Turn ons? Asexual fetishes?Sexual desires? Can you arouse yourself?

Interesting. How do I put this in PG-13 wording...
Do you have internal sexual feelings that manifest externally? Turn ons? Asexual fetishes?Sexual desires? Can you arouse yourself?
I have hard-ons only if under physical stimulation. When I was younger I had hard-ons randomly, unconnected to people or images.

Asexual doesn't meant lack of libido. It means lack of attraction. Which are two different things. I don't experience attraction.

This is a good explanation for what asexuality is and is not:

http://www.asexualityarchive.com/thi...ot-asexuality/

There might be someone just around the corner, and probably easier that you're obviously in tune with yourself and don't mind talking about it. Don't lose hope on having kids just yet. Even if you don't actually want to get physical there are other ways you can make a bub. Hold on to your dreams, Guapo.
Indeed. Thanks for the support.

One interesting fact is that asexuals are way less visible in society than gays, even though we are not substantially less numerous. I guess the main reason is that gays feel the need to do stuff society traditionally has denied them, hence the need to mobilize politically and allow for them to exert their freedom. While we asexuals just don't feel the need to do anything, hence, there is no need to worry about violating society's traditional norms.

And in the distant past when marriage was almost an arranged obligation, asexuals would marry and just have the minimal amount of sex just to produce offspring, since men were always dominant back in the day's extremely sexist society, if the man was asexual the wife wouldn't think she would have the right to complain.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I guess it comes down to what is deemed to be threatening/non threatening. Gays are seen by some to be threatening, whether that's the threat of coming on to a straight man or woman (I worked with big burly cops who flipped out when a young gay cop turned up. Screams of I;m not getting in to a patrol car with him. I asked if they were scared he was going to pin them to a wall and stick his tongue in their mouth; the guy was not much bigger than me), threat to the 'sanctity of marriage' etc. As an outsider looking in I would think that an asexual person is not deemed by those same people as threatening. I assume they're not going to get inside someone's personal space to get sexual, and those who want to get married for offspring or to protect property are doing what anyone wants with marriage (including gay people) - the same rights in the eyes of the law. So they don't feel the same need to make public declarations against discrimination?

I hope that makes sense. Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting, Guapo.

Yeah, this has been very informative. The lack of a presence for asexuality in any media is pretty astounding really. I'm sure I found out about it on a forum, whereas in other cases films have probably been my introduction to no end of subjects over the years. Transgender for instance the film Shadey (1985) and latterly Different for Girls (1996).

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah, this has been very informative. The lack of a presence for asexuality in any media is pretty astounding really. I'm sure I found out about it on a forum, whereas in other cases films have probably been my introduction to no end of subjects over the years. Transgender for instance the film Shadey (1985) and latterly Different for Girls (1996).
I must admit I never thought much about it until some long term posters on boards I was on over at the other place started talking about it. There was never any conflict created thankfully, yet people who came out as gay or trans were frequently bashed or ridiculed. So disppointing in this day and age.