The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I don't usually go for these sort of games, but Skull & Bones looks impressive.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks like a blast. Never played the first game. Should I?

Ubisoft has been the strongest so far. Who would've thought?

I know the title will get a lot of hate, but the Mario and Rabbids game looks fun as hell. The most unique looking Mario games are usually the RPGs, and this one looks no different. Who doesn't want to see Mario wield a Megaman blaster?

I'm not a fan of Assassin's Creed fan, but I really like the setting for this one, and with the promise of more RPG elements, and since it's a prequel, maybe I won't have to keep up with it's already long spanning, convoluted story that's been keeping me away from the series for so long. One of the most acclaimed titles in that series was the fourth one, and the most fun I had with Assassin's Creed 3 was the ship battles, so Skull & Bones seems like a very smart move. Depending on whether or not it has single player, I might pick it up, I'm a sucker for pirates.

I was worried that Far Cry hit that series exhaustion point after 4, but this new one looks promising, and completely separate, I might pick it up after I get through 3. I was ready to dismiss Battle for Atlas when I saw the toy mechanic, but since it seems like it's optional for gameplay, maybe if it ends up being a complete enough package without them I'll give it a go. Beyong Good and Evil 2 was a big shock, I thought they gave that one up. Never played the original, but now's the best time to, that was a very cool cinematic.

Ubisoft has been the strongest so far. Who would've thought?

I know the title will get a lot of hate, but the Mario and Rabbids game looks fun as hell. The most unique looking Mario games are usually the RPGs, and this one looks no different. Who doesn't want to see Mario wield a Megaman blaster?

I'm not a fan of Assassin's Creed fan, but I really like the setting for this one, and with the promise of more RPG elements, and since it's a prequel, maybe I won't have to keep up with it's already long spanning, convoluted story that's been keeping me away from the series for so long. One of the most acclaimed titles in that series was the fourth one, and the most fun I had with Assassin's Creed 3 was the ship battles, so Skull & Bones seems like a very smart move. Depending on whether or not it has single player, I might pick it up, I'm a sucker for pirates.

I was worried that Far Cry hit that series exhaustion point after 4, but this new one looks promising, and completely separate, I might pick it up after I get through 3. I was ready to dismiss Battle for Atlas when I saw the toy mechanic, but since it seems like it's optional for gameplay, maybe if it ends up being a complete enough package without them I'll give it a go. Beyong Good and Evil 2 was a big shock, I thought they gave that one up. Never played the original, but now's the best time to, that was a very cool cinematic.
I agree, they had a pretty strong conference. I also thought the Mario game looked fun, I'll always and forever have a special place in my heart for Mario games. I'm in the same boat as you about Good and Evil 2, only I'm not sure if I'll give the original a go before I play this one. But I'm strongly considering it. The new South Park footage was hilarious. I already planned on buying the new game anyway, but it's nice to see all the snazzy additions. I've never played any Farcry game, I always meant to and then never got to it. After seeing this though, I'm going to buckle down and get to it asap.

The new South Park footage was hilarious. I already planned on buying the new game anyway, but it's nice to see all the snazzy additions.
Oh yeah, I already planned on getting that one on day one, being a massive South Park fan, but any new footage is welcomed. I might pre order it soon to get the first game for free since it comes with a free downloadable copy. I've already played it to completion, but I might try to go for a 100 percent platinum since I really enjoyed it.

I'll probably get that phone game too. That is, when I get a phone that'll actually support it, I still have a massively outdated smartphone that can't handle most mobile games.

Maybe I was spoiled too much with Sony's last, which was one of the best conferences I've ever watched, but this one was a bit of a letdown. Sure, I'll admit it's unfair to assume we're going to get wave after wave of new content, considering their line up for this year, and beyond is already stacked as it is, but not even one brand new stinger! I did like seeing new footage of the likes of God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit, which all look fantastic, but I'm a patient gamer, so the announcements always excite me more than new footage of old stuff. Decent, and fast paced, they went straight in, and didn't let go until the finale, but I guess you can't be too mad when they aimed so high last year.

I'm shocked that there wasn't any Last of Us, though. It seems like we'll be waiting a bit longer for that one, judging by it's absence.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Detroit is the only game that matters.

That was the the one I was most looking forward to seeing more of, in terms of games already revealed. I didn't care for Beyond: Two Souls, but Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games. I know a lot of people are pretty mixed about it in retrospective, but I still really enjoy it!

there's a frog in my snake oil

"I'm never going to get played, am I?" -- The Witcher 3, probably
I can only imagine the jank that is to come

Good to see a full AAA game converting to VR though. Definitely the sort of thing it needs to gain more traction.

VR reddits seem happy to see the locomotion, less jazzed by the one-handed hip-firing of miniguns . Much intrigue over whether they can get VATs to work.

That was the the one I was most looking forward to seeing more of, in terms of games already revealed. I didn't care for Beyond: Two Souls, but Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games. I know a lot of people are pretty mixed about it in retrospective, but I still really enjoy it!

I played Beyond ten hours more than I should before admitting how much fun I wasn't having. Probably because HR was one of my all-time favs.

I watched the Spiderman reel and .... I don't know. Looks like a less interesting Arkham game. Spiderman is the one comic that I never understood (I know, regular guy yadda-ya) and this just looks bland.

Welcome to the human race...
My big takeaway from E3 so far is that I should get back into Wolfenstein (which is kind of an understatement considered that the only one of them I've played is, well, Wolfenstein 3D). I think at this point my gaming habits would genuinely favour some kind of linear action game over any more open-world RPGs at the moment - my last post in here was about not getting into Andromeda and, well, I seriously haven't touched it since then (and that was two months ago).

Or maybe I should actually finish any of the dozens of unplayed games in my collection before I think about stuff that hasn't come out yet.

My big takeaway from E3 so far is that I should get back into Wolfenstein (which is kind of an understatement considered that the only one of them I've played is, well, Wolfenstein 3D). I think at this point my gaming habits would genuinely favour some kind of linear action game over any more open-world RPGs at the moment - my last post in here was about not getting into Andromeda and, well, I seriously haven't touched it since then (and that was two months ago).
This has happened to me a few times: binge on open-world games, find linear games dull...and then eventually flip and kind of crave something a little more hand-holdy (or, at least, direct).

And, of course, shooting Nazis is always just inherently fun.

Or maybe I should actually finish any of the dozens of unplayed games in my collection before I think about stuff that hasn't come out yet.
Technological progress means a list of unplayed games in addition to the pile of unread books.

Welcome to the human race...
Another big part of it is that open-world games feel like more of a commitment because of all the exploring and side-quests and what-have-you (to say nothing of a series like Mass Effect having a lot of dialogue trees and character-heavy downtime) so, unless it involves a brand I'm really into (like Deus Ex or Fallout), I'm probably not going to care too much about the massive time-sink that the experience demands. When I started up Andromeda I was just thinking "I'll just do the main quest and that's it", which is probably not the kind of attitude that Andromeda would really reward in the long run.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I think it's kind of like a puzzle game: you have to know you're in good hands. If you know you are, a tough puzzle is worth banging your head against the wall for for awhile, but if you don't know that, it could just be a bad puzzle and you're wasting your time.

Similar thing going on with open-world games, in that you won't know until dozens of hours in if there's depth there, or if things just feel new in the beginning and become a repetitive grind afterwards. As you say, "just do the main quest" is kind of a weird way to go into a game like that. I pretty much don't play a big, sprawling game unless I think there's a good chance I'll want to do almost everything in it.

Sounds crazy, until you realize how many options there are. You/we can afford to be pretty picky right now. Kinda have to be if you want to make time for them, even if you restrict yourself to the games receiving near-universal accolades.

The People's Republic of Clogher
My big takeaway from E3 so far is that I should get back into Wolfenstein (which is kind of an understatement considered that the only one of them I've played is, well, Wolfenstein 3D).
When I was watching the trailer for the new Wolfenstein, I started downloading The New Order again, only to quit out 5 minutes later. Brilliantly made game, but just a shooter, and I've now got a HUGE backlog to get through.

The Sony presser was a bit dry, with a lot more informative stuff coming in the pre-show.

Shadow of the Colossus remake? Fine, I guess, but I've still not even started The Last Guardian.

God of War? Tentatively excited but the vibe I'm getting is of a lesser Horizon.

That zombie thing? Great looking, but no thanks. It looks pretty uninteresting to play. State of Decay 2, for all its jank, looks the place to go for that stuff.

Detroit? Oh bugger off, you silly self-serious TV movie director trapped in the body of a game developer, and take your QTEs with you.

Skyrim VR? That's a thing, I suppose.

No Kojima.

I'd have thought Sony would have come out with something with more personality considering their big rivals were launching a new console. I wonder if they're slipping back to their complacent pre-PS3 days?

EDIT - On the other hand, I thought the Ubisoft press conference was fantastic. Not an awful lot I'm interested to actually play but I love Yves Guillemot. I love his warmth, his enthusiasm, his realness. He's got heart.

Nintendo won E3 with just two reveals that didn't even have any gameplay shown.

Well, the fanboy in me came to that conclusion, at least.

In all reality it looks like Ubisoft had the most solid conference, but I really don't want to admit that.

That zumbie thing looks like TLOU if it was actually fun to play.

I'm in for zumbie wolves and bears, oh my.

Nintendo won E3 with just two reveals that didn't even have any gameplay shown.

Well, the fanboy in me came to that conclusion, at least.

In all reality it looks like Ubisoft had the most solid conference, but I really don't want to admit that.
You don't know how badly I want a Switch right now. Super Mario Odyssey looks amazing.