The Videogames Tab

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Hellblade! August 8th! Until it's inevitably delayed!

Wipeout: Omega arrived today, and I finally feel as though I own a Playstation!

I opted for the pre-order disc with a few pointless themes and, I suspected, a tacky looking cardboard sleeve.

Wrong! The sleeve actually looks great:

As to the game, it's a remastered Wipeout HD, Fury and 2048. It looks and sounds great, and plays as well as the original games did - very.
I wonder when Nintendo is going to realize these games are still alive and kicking, and make a F-Zero sequel.

Also, that sleeve is glorious. Sometimes I think that retro revival stuff is a bit gimmicky, but the callback to the early PS1 long boxes? I haven't seen that before, I love it!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I wonder when Nintendo is going to realize these games are still alive and kicking, and make a F-Zero sequel.

Also, that sleeve is glorious. Sometimes I think that retro revival stuff is a bit gimmicky, but the callback to the early PS1 long boxes? I haven't seen that before, I love it!
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the sleeve until I saw it in the flesh. The proportions are obviously a wee bit skewed but when it's parked next to one of the PS1 Wipeout games, it holds up well.

On the whole, my PS1 collection is has seen better days. Wipeout 2097 was bought a few years ago new, but those cases are pretty brittle, especially on games that I've had for 20 years. If only I had preservation in mine then.

The game itself is one of the best HD remasters I've seen. Proper 4k/60fps and lots of new textures, not just upscaled old ones.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh man....

Most of the people I know today I met because of Wipeout XL on PS1... A good 10-year chunk of my life musically was also directly related to that game. If I hadn't randomly picked up the game and bought it on a whim back then, my life would be completely different today.

I think Wipeout XL was Wipeout 2097 in PAL territories? It still plays really well, even accounting for it being a pre-analogue game.

Wipeout was the first game I owned where the music mattered, and it chimed perfectly with what I was into at the time.

Managed to find a used copy of The Godfather: Don's Edition (PS3) for only $5.

Final Fantasy 7. Me and my lowly psOne. LOL.
Hello @Monkeypunch

I wouldn't consider a PS1 that lowly. There are a plethora of awesome games for it imo. Some of my favorite games are for the PS1.

I think I've become a console kid again.

Saw a great deal on Tekken 7 on PC and as I have a few people on my friends list (who don't have PS4s) who play, I decided to double dip. My PC towers above the required specs for the game but it's developed a half second stutter in the middle of matches, not great in a fighting game.

And so, the nad-numbing process of figuring out which program I've got running doesn't like Tekken 7 begins.

there's a frog in my snake oil
This is just some random 4chan 'leak', but intriguing. VR Fallout and Skyrim? A new third space franchise, including 'RNG worlds', that links both? Skyrim as the future??

Has a certain shape to it. Guess E3 will tell

I’m a leaker at Bethesda and I wanted to layout their plans for the future for you guys and give you some pre E3 leaks. Firstly i’m speaking only about Bethesda game studios here not the publisher.

There will be a few announcements at E3 one is a new major title from Bethesda themselves as well.

The two Major announcements are Fallout 4 VR and Starfield.

They are working on Skyrim VR as well but they aren’t sure if they are going to show it yet since they don’t want to take the light away from Fallout 4 VR or Starfield.

Onto Starfield. The game has actually been in conceptual stages since around Fallout 3’s release. It went into pre production officially very low tier pre production after Skyrims Release. After Fallout 4’s release it went into full pre production and after all the DLC was out they sped into full development.

The game is going to be a sci fi open world RPG in typical bethesda first person fashion. Its going to feature 5-10 races there’s still some debate on what should and shouldn’t go in and takes place in the Fallout universe just so far in the future and far away from earth that it’ll only be mentioned in hints. This is part of an ongoing planned interconnected universe of every Bethesda franchise. They gave hints of this by implying the Brotherhood of Steel created nirnroot in Fallout 4. They’re getting a little wacky with the lore and using “Elder Scrolls time wounds” to justify lore inconsistencies.

Basically Fallout is the beginning of the timeline, Starfield is the middle, and Elder Scrolls is Far Future.

The game will feature space travel and hub worlds as well as RNG worlds. Its meant to be a test into more sandboxy/minecraft ish AAA thing but with Bethesda gameplay and still actual designed worlds/quests/etc.

They have another Fantasy game of a famous franchise in the works. Game of Thrones and preproduction Elder Scrolls VI and conceptual for Elder Scrols VII which is Todds Magnum Opus.

BioWare released a trailer for their new IP called Anthem.

And it's ...

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

In honor of today, have a long-cut.

I loved...loved the HS. Janky eyes and animations, it was fun.

A trailer with no gameplay can be suspect, as well as that price-point. If this is HS recreated at that price, great.

Going through some EA E3 stuff, the prison breakout game A Way Out from the Tale of Two Sons guys looks intriguing.

----

Standard Battlefront bombast on display. Here's some of the better in-game footage.

Does look like the game's bedded in, and it's good that they're going the all-DLC-free route, to stop community fragmenting. This seems to be a staged assault mode with everything thrown at it (aerial, an approaching assault vehicle, heroes etc). I'm still fairly meh on it though. Looks like it'll probably be a tighter game and that, but who the hell wants to inhabit the prequels? Just wrong

(EDIT: I'll doubtless get it after a price drop though. Possibly helps that there's a 'post Return of the Jedi playing as a female Imperial' campaign too. Not expecting it to be stellar though, as DICE haven't nailed a campaign yet.)

Yeah, a lot of the EA stuff seemed pretty decent. The new NFS looks like it's finally accepted its place in life and has gone full Fast & Furious crossed with Burnout.

The co-op prison thing seems really neat in theory but I'm concerned as to how it'll play if (and I don't know if this is even an option) you're not teamed up with someone you know. Prison Break with an internet rando sounds a whole different kettle of bananas.

Oh, and I just bought Mass Effect Eldorado Andromeda.

I figured that EA might be doing some kind of sale after their presser and I was correct - Deluxe edition for £27 seems decent for such a recent release. It'll be worth having for one reason alone - The game that killed Mass Effect.

The co-op prison thing seems really neat in theory but I'm concerned as to how it'll play if (and I don't know if this is even an option) you're not teamed up with someone you know. Prison Break with an internet rando sounds a whole different kettle of bananas.
He seems to want it to be a long-form couch co-op game ultimately. Can see that could be fun (and cool with the cinematic take on split screen), but it is pretty niche. Yeah playing with randos online is going to be a recipe for chaos. Hope the save points are close together

Not sure what to think. Prequel kinda makes more sense than a sequel...until you realize it'd necessarily be before the storm (hence the title), and therefore before she had these abilities the game was based around. But then, those abilities mess around with time, so maybe you can write around the chronological issue. Dunno.

Still have mixed feelings, since this is one of those "good game, but unpleasant to actually play" type of games, at least for me. Not sure I can resist playing it, even though part of me sorta dreads it.