Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Fires Were Started (1943)

I picked this movie off the top 100 British films list. It's only 65 minutes long, and I wouldn't call it a good movie in the traditional sense as I saw it labeled as a docudrama. It's about a group of firefighters during World War II. We basically are just shown their job and what they have to go through, and I couldn't help but watch these heroes with some amazement and appreciation, even if it is staged. The movie was filmed with real fireman, rather than actors, and there are many incredible shots.

Macon Blair starred in and executive produced Blue Ruin, plus he wrote and directed I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore. Both films are about small-town Americans trying to get revenge on criminals who have wronged them only for things to violently spiral out of control, so I'm effectively saying that it's about what I expected.
Yeah, I knew he directed this and I guess I get your connections. Tone felt quite different to me. I would have preferred something a little more quiet like Blue Ruin. I wasn't head over heel for that one either but I enjoyed it much more.

Live By Night

Didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I did, the best thing Affleck has ever done imo, loved it.

OMG, I've been meaning to see this, but was waiting for being in the mood for a noir gangster thing,( and of course waiting for emotional preparedness for a Ben Affleck flop) but this rating gives me a happy face!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Indiscretion of an American Wife - 4/10

2 days ago I saw Vittorio De Sica couldn't make a bad movie. Maybe his wife pleaded "Vittorio, can't you make a bad movie, we need the money!"

And I've been in a horrible slump. I put in a movie, and can't watch, or can't decide, can't focus, over a week now, so I've tried "safe" choices..... so I thought.

movies can be okay...

Oh, Charlie Kaufman imagination...
One of my favourite movies of all time.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

13 Minutes

I have always found the story of Johann Georg Elser to be the most fascinating of all the assassination attempts on Hitler, the German carpenter who (alone) was 13 minutes shy from assassinating Hitler by blowing up a Berlin beer hall where he was giving a speech (Adolf left early that day, thus avoiding the blast) some time ago when I first read about him I searched in vain for a film, today randomly I found it, it was made in Germany 2015 and it did justice to the true story and then some.. remarkable, touching and haunting, it flips back and forth between his life leading up to the assassination attempt and his subsequent interrogation and incarceration.. the last ten minutes blew me away and the silent credits are for silent reflection, wow, thank you so much to all concerned for making the movie I have been waiting for.

Before We Go (2014)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Sensory deprivation tanks may be the scariest thing on earth.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Does the fact that I kind of want to try one now mean that I've missed the point of the film?
I think everybody kind of wants to try one.

This might just do nobody any good.
Long Ass Rambling Incoming!

In the coming weeks we'll likely hear how this is the closest to a Marvel movie as DC's made so far. I think this statement holds more truth than at first intended.

Wonder Woman is an okay movie that, like so many of the MCU's entries, features frustratingly good moments, giving us a peak at it's full potential.

Boasting a fun and rewardingly immersive opening, Wonder Woman begins with promise. Here's a hero born and bred to be one thing: a protector. Unlike Batman or Superman, Diana knows what she must become from the get-go and acquires the means to do so rather quickly and early on, impressively investing us into the world of the Amazonians in the process.

From there the film takes us on a refreshing take on the "fish out of water" tale. Diana is naive and the film and, inevitably, the audience see her perspective with cynicism. What's great about this take is that at no point is emotional growth brought out at the cost of her dignity. The film never looks down on Diana's mindset nor does it invite any chance for the audience to do so themselves. Gal Gadot holds her own in these scenes and actually impressed me with how well she balanced the wide eyed moments (such as her discovering ice cream) with those set up by her warrior-up-bringing (in which she stares down a general for not seeing soldiers as people).

The war segments are the best and most consistently impressive. The moment in which we finally see Diana fully armored and in action, set agains the backdrop of No Man's Land, is such a rousing moment and the following action, filled with small character moments, is what I mean by peaking into the story's full potential.

I really do wish this could have been the kind of story where our hero confronts the flaws in her own character and ideals. The kind where accepting one's misjudgments is seen as a moment of enlightenment and personal growth.

But it isn't.

In the end it decides to be more like Batman vs. Superman and so many others of its kind. It choses a mindless CGI fest to a refreshing and satisfying conclusion and features one of the more laughable reveals in recent memory.
WARNING: spoilers below
The image of David Thewlis, made up as the most British man ever, levitating with menace is an all timer for all the wrong reasons.

I can't stress how badly this creative nosedive brings down the whole picture. It's made even worse by all the good moments that come before it.

This is the best DCEU movie, but that statement doesn't actually mean much.

That said, I'm glad this is succeeding. The people in charge have and likely will take all the superficial lessons from hits. If this movie can help usher in more inclusive blockbusters, more opportunities for women in front and behind cameras, if this movie can give many others a chance to do better... then maybe this would be worth it.

6.5/10

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
All The King's Men (1949)

This movie is really, really good. A fascinating story, some superb performances and it raises some questions and commentary about politics (and populism in particular) which are still extremely pertinent.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

It pains me to say, but this didn't fare as well on a re-watch. Outside of the euphoria of the first weekend hype emotional roller-coaster, there are parts that wore a little thin.

The Drax parts were a little much at time, unlike the over saturation of BG which I will never tire of. Peter's role does seem to be lacking this time around. It's hard for me to lay a finger on it, but most of the dialogue seems to be delivering punch-lines and not much else.

Yondu, still the best in every scene. It was worth it seeing the lady I took light up everytime the twig was onscreen. Not as re-watchable as the first.