The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Amelie (2001)
My guess: no clue... ed?

A genuinely charming, funny, romantic film that just left me smiling and giggling. Amelie tells us to take delight in life, and we watch as Amelie herself finds new meaning in life. It's dark, ironic humor in a way - most of this - but it comes across as cute and adorable. I love it.

Amelie as a character is so iconic. She's sweet and kind, in a way very innocent. She knows what she wants, and she does just that. There are no "complications of life" which stop her, like most people; her life is a role model for us normal folks who have goals, but don't actually achieve them.

The style of this film is totally unique and bizarre. It reminded of me of a definite mix between Adam Elliot's style (Mary and Max, Harvie Krumpet), Wes Anderson (Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Royal Tenenbaums) and Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Yesterday). Of course it's all of those plus a unique, quirky twist, but it's overall stunning visually. The palettes are fresh and bright, and we get this overall wonderful polished look.

I liked that this takes delights in the smallest things in life; from the very first moments, the narration is precise, articulate, describing small and pointless events and ideas, yet joyous ones nontheless. Although the film shifts slowly away from that narration, there's still a sense of us peering into Amelie's life rather than her just living it.

Loved the film references! Jules and Jim, YES, that's been on my watchlist for ages. I liked the cinematography, it was styled, often wonky, and totally bizarre. That's the kind of stuff that reminds me of Danny Boyle's style a lot. The accordion score made me roll my eyes a bit, but it was so much in the background that I didn't much care.

So overall, huge thumbs up to Amelie and the unique world it creates!

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

All The President's Men

Bob Woodward: Well, who is Charles Colson?
Harry Rosenfeld: The most powerful man in the United States is President Nixon. You've heard of him? Charles Colson is special counsel to the President. There's a cartoon on his wall. The caption reads, "When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

Using Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein's book, as well as having them on set to advise, we get all the ground work that these two, at the time, green journalists from the Washington Post put in to delve into the break in that led to the Watergate Investigation, and, eventually former President Nixon's resignation.
And when I say, ground work, that is EXACTLY what we get. No Hollywood glamorizing high tension and drama. No sinister villain threatening loved ones while monologue-ing with the "heroes". This is countless times on the phone, in the field, in interviews, after interviews as they blindly try to decipher just how high up and how far this truly goes.
And the fact that it keeps things flowing very well and never becomes redundant or boring says a lot for the direction as well as the actors involved. While some of that may have to do with it being "true events", in the end, it truly does have a lot more to do with those involved in the making of this film.

In 72' when the break in occurred, I was in 2nd Grade and heard more about the comedic parodies after Nixon's resignation than any news-related information when this film came out in '76. Now, for whatever reason, even being of huge fan of Redford and a fan of Hoffman, I have never gotten to check out this Must-See film and, FINALLY, I have gotten to and completely enjoyed this investigative film that,
WARNING: "surprisingly," spoilers below
does not end with the resignation, but with a setback and Nixon being re-elected. The telecommunication pounding out the headlines that would occur when it finally all came together making for a more dramatic ending.

Quite the great film, THANK YOU to whomever nominated this for me!

Holy crap that Amelie poster is huge! (I did not want or expect to see her giant creepy face staring back at me when I clicked the thread! ). I hated that movie, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

Amelie (2001)
My guess: no clue... ed?

A genuinely charming, funny, romantic film that just left me smiling and giggling. Amelie tells us to take delight in life, and we watch as Amelie herself finds new meaning in life. It's dark, ironic humor in a way - most of this - but it comes across as cute and adorable. I love it.

Amelie as a character is so iconic. She's sweet and kind, in a way very innocent. She knows what she wants, and she does just that. There are no "complications of life" which stop her, like most people; her life is a role model for us normal folks who have goals, but don't actually achieve them.

The style of this film is totally unique and bizarre. It reminded of me of a definite mix between Adam Elliot's style (Mary and Max, Harvie Krumpet), Wes Anderson (Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Royal Tenenbaums) and Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Yesterday). Of course it's all of those plus a unique, quirky twist, but it's overall stunning visually. The palettes are fresh and bright, and we get this overall wonderful polished look.

I liked that this takes delights in the smallest things in life; from the very first moments, the narration is precise, articulate, describing small and pointless events and ideas, yet joyous ones nontheless. Although the film shifts slowly away from that narration, there's still a sense of us peering into Amelie's life rather than her just living it.

Loved the film references! Jules and Jim, YES, that's been on my watchlist for ages. I liked the cinematography, it was styled, often wonky, and totally bizarre. That's the kind of stuff that reminds me of Danny Boyle's style a lot. The accordion score made me roll my eyes a bit, but it was so much in the background that I didn't much care.

So overall, huge thumbs up to Amelie and the unique world it creates!

+

Though I truly do LOVE this film! Which I FINALLY got to see in the 17th HoF and was SO HAPPY to see this film that had been on my radar for some time.
When I saw that it was nominated for you I was sincerely hoping you'd enjoy it as well.

Holy crap that Amelie poster is huge! (I did not want or expect to see her giant creepy face staring back at me when I clicked the thread! ). I hated that movie, but I know I'm in the minority on that.
maybe you hate it

maybe. . .

it's just keeping up the rep of a tough lady that hides the sweet woman beneath

maybe

LOL I'm sorry!! and YES, what the ****, the poster makes it look like a possession horror movie or something, my Mom refused to watch it with me because of the poster

I didn't absolutely love it, but it was pretty enjoyable all around.

maybe you hate it

maybe. . .

it's just keeping up the rep of a tough lady that hides the sweet woman beneath

maybe
Actually, I had a look at my previous review of it and I rated it a 3+. I must've been in a really generous mood that day 'cause she has always creeped me the hell out and I've never liked the movie.

Amelie was my choice for ahwell. Like Ed said I also seen it first in the 17th HoF where I voted it #1 on my ballot, even over my own nomination.

Amélie (2001)

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
(original title)

Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Writers: Guillaume Laurant & Jean-Pierre Jeunet (scenario)
Cast: Audrey Tautou, Mathieu Kassovitz, Rufus
Genre: Comedy Romance

"Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice. She decides to help those around her and, along the way, discovers love."

Loved it! It brought a smile to my face that lasted two hours...now my face hurts, ha. But that's OK because any movie that can make me happy, make me laugh and impress me with it's quirky cleverness, then that movie is worth a few sore facial muscles.

Amélie, did all that for me and more! It entertained me and wowed me with it's beautifully detailed and colorful world in which our heroine lives. I loved the sets, the vibrant colors, the fluidly artistic camera work and even the music score too. So many details are packed into this movie that I can't even begin to recall them all.

Audrey Tautou as Amelie was a breath of fresh air! What a captivating and charming performance as the Paris pixie who lives life as she sees it. I loved every scene she inhabited, from the small cafe to her own apartment to the back streets and alleys of Paris.

So I'll just say I loved the way this film built an alternative world where this charming young Parisian woman lives life like she wants to. And, she's a good person who does good, even when she's being naughty...and it has a romantic happy ending too. What more could I want from a film!

Count me as a fan of
Amélie.

Here's what I said about it last time:

Amélie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/18/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 17th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by TheUsualSuspect
Rewatch: Yes.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet makes films that are beautiful and highly imaginative. They're full of brilliant colors and quirky, off-beat characters who find themselves in bizarre situations. In many ways his work reminds me of that of Wes Anderson, but unfortunately that is not a compliment. Both directors create worlds that are wonderful to look at but are filled with characters that are so off-beat and quirky as to make them off-putting for me.

And this was very much true for the people of Amélie, particularly for Miss Poulain herself. I think I was meant to find her sly smile and wide eyes endearing, but instead I found her kind of creepy. Her rather unethical - if well-intentioned - methods of affecting other people's lives didn't help the situation, either.

Still - and has been the case with the three other Jeunet films I've seen - I was at least reasonably well entertained by all the weirdness. It's just not something that will stick with me or leave me with any desire to revisit it on my own.

+

Ed, I selected All The Presidents men for you. 😎
That IS a surprise since I would never have guessed it was you. THANK YOU
I was thinking that you would have done something less serious on my list - not sure why, and apparently, a VERY wrong assumption. lol

And this is why I cannot and do not attempt to guess who nominated what for me. I will never get it right

Nice review of The Last Picture Show, @John-Connor. A few hours before I submitted my nominations, I saw you post in the Shoutbox that you'd never seen it, despite several people recommending it to you over the years, so I had it in mind for you immediately. I think the movie captures the essence of Small Town, America as well as any film I've seen, and the grip such towns sometimes have on their inhabitants, holding them from their dreams like a lead weight around an ankle. Great writing, great characterization, great performances. Beautiful black-and-white cinematography. A dusty, melancholic feel. I know you're not American, so I wasn't sure if the film would resonate with you as deeply as it does for me, but I seem to recall several coming-of-age movies in your favorites thread. And even if you weren't into it, at least you'd get a glimpse of nude Cybill Shepherd in the prime of her beauty, so the viewing wouldn't be a total waste. I'm pleased you liked you it.

@Miss Vicky, you guessed correctly: The Fly was my choice for you. If I'd known that so many others were going to nominate horror films for you watch, I probably would've went with a different selection. There's a ton of movies from the lists that I'd love for you to watch, but not many that I feel confident in you liking. I almost chose Five Easy Pieces, since I know you're a fan of Jack Nicholson, and I think it's one of his best, most grounded performances, but he's not a likeable character (nor is he meant to be), and the likeability of characters usually makes or breaks your enjoyment of a film. I felt confident that you would like The Fly to at least some degree, regardless of it its genre designations, as it checks a lot of the boxes for what you seek in a film.

Uh-oh, @Hey Fredrick, looks like somebody sent you a bowel movement!!!

I'd probably join more Hall of Fames if I felt that I could nominate stuff like Pink Flamingos without people petitioning Yoda to have me banned. I think it's essential viewing for anyone interested in transgressive cinema. There are masterpieces, and then there are TRASHterpieces, and when it comes to the latter, John Waters's taboo-shattering parade of filth sits atop the heap. Say hello to the Egg Man for me.

@Miss Vicky, you guessed correctly: The Fly was my choice for you. If I'd known that so many others were going to nominate horror films for you watch, I probably would've went with a different selection. There's a ton of movies from the lists that I'd love for you to watch, but not many that I feel confident in you liking. I almost chose Five Easy Pieces, since I know you're a fan of Jack Nicholson, and I think it's one of his best, most grounded performances, but he's not a likeable character (nor is he meant to be), and the likeability of characters usually makes or breaks your enjoyment of a film. I felt confident that you would like The Fly to at least some degree, regardless of it its genre designations, as it checks a lot of the boxes for what you seek in a film.
I had a feeling it was you. Nice choice.

BTW - Characters don't have to be "likable" in the sense of being good people for me to like them. I can like them if they're despicable, too. They just have to be interesting.

The trick is not minding
That IS a surprise since I would never have guessed it was you. THANK YOU
I was thinking that you would have done something less serious on my list - not sure why, and apparently, a VERY wrong assumption. lol

And this is why I cannot and do not attempt to guess who nominated what for me. I will never get it right
I would have thought Platoon being my nomination in Best Pic HOF would h e shown that I love serious films 😜

Nice review of The Last Picture Show, @John-Connor. A few hours before I submitted my nominations, I saw you post in the Shoutbox that you'd never seen it, despite several people recommending it to you over the years, so I had it in mind for you immediately. I think the movie captures the essence of Small Town, America as well as any film I've seen, and the grip such towns sometimes have on their inhabitants, holding them from their dreams like a lead weight around an ankle. Great writing, great characterization, great performances. Beautiful black-and-white cinematography. A dusty, melancholic feel. I know you're not American, so I wasn't sure if the film would resonate with you as deeply as it does for me, but I seem to recall several coming-of-age movies in your favorites thread. And even if you weren't into it, at least you'd get a glimpse of nude Cybill Shepherd in the prime of her beauty, so the viewing wouldn't be a total waste. I'm pleased you liked it.
Hah good catch from the Shoutbox! Not only am I not American but also from the 'big city' so this film really broadened my horizon and gave some insight into the mindset and feelings of small town inhabitants. The ironic thing is that many big city folk often 'dream' of one day ending up in a small town, were life is clear, simple and slow paced. A grass is greener thing I guess. Thanks again Cap!

I had a feeling it was you. Nice choice.

BTW - Characters don't have to be "likable" in the sense of being good people for me to like them. I can like them if they're despicable, too. They just have to be interesting.
So yep, my wife picked The Fly for you as well, and it was a top 4 finalist for me to pick for you.

All The President's Men was my runner up pick for Ed, excellent choice Wyldesyde it's one of my all time favs.
I also had it down as a potential nomination for Ed.

Amelie was my choice for ahwell. Like Ed said I also seen it first in the 17th HoF where I voted it #1 on my ballot, even over my own nomination.

Amélie (2001)

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
(original title)

Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Writers: Guillaume Laurant & Jean-Pierre Jeunet (scenario)
Cast: Audrey Tautou, Mathieu Kassovitz, Rufus
Genre: Comedy Romance

"Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice. She decides to help those around her and, along the way, discovers love."

Loved it! It brought a smile to my face that lasted two hours...now my face hurts, ha. But that's OK because any movie that can make me happy, make me laugh and impress me with it's quirky cleverness, then that movie is worth a few sore facial muscles.

Amélie, did all that for me and more! It entertained me and wowed me with it's beautifully detailed and colorful world in which our heroine lives. I loved the sets, the vibrant colors, the fluidly artistic camera work and even the music score too. So many details are packed into this movie that I can't even begin to recall them all.

Audrey Tautou as Amelie was a breath of fresh air! What a captivating and charming performance as the Paris pixie who lives life as she sees it. I loved every scene she inhabited, from the small cafe to her own apartment to the back streets and alleys of Paris.

So I'll just say I loved the way this film built an alternative world where this charming young Parisian woman lives life like she wants to. And, she's a good person who does good, even when she's being naughty...and it has a romantic happy ending too. What more could I want from a film!

Count me as a fan of
Amélie.

Oh nice! Awesome choice, I did love it!