Coronavirus

Tools    

I on a fixed income would rather had a 200 raise the democrats or bernie sanders suggested cause means have 1000 each month instead of 850 which I get

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Frickin’ sad. This Italian nurse killed herself when she was diagnosed with the virus fearing she had contaminated many others. R.I.P.

That's horrible. Prayers for her.

Walked up to the drive-thru window at McDonald's today. I could have went to Subway but I had a coupon for a free Big Mac.

After my last stop I always get an ice coffee at Dunkin'. Due to the circumstances, I went to one inside a gas station/convenience store. While waiting for my treat, I noticed the girl at the gas/convenience register handing things to customers and taking money with her bare hands. Then the girl in my section comes with my coffee, holding it and shaking it with her bare hands. During these times, shouldn't there be some kind of law that people with these types of jobs should wear gloves? Or is that useless if the virus can stick to gloves?
I was thinking about gloves the other day - when my bank was still open the tellers were wearing them and I thought how the gloves would only help if they changed them between EVERY item they handled (otherwise they are passing germs from coins to checks to whatever, from one customer to another).

Then I realized the gloves are more for the wearer's protection - with gloves on they are less likely to touch their face - the glove reminds them not to bring their hand up to their eyes, nose, mouth or ears (but as said, unless changed in between every single item handled, they can spread germs like anything else).

Clean hands are better than gloves, no one washes their gloves. They can change them, but it becomes a hassle and expensive for businesses. Wearing them for self protection is fine, but as I mentioned it becomes worse for those receiving the goods they touch.

I always assume what I am being given is contaminated and if possible I wipe it off before taking it. I know that doesnt work with food, but cups, paper goods etc... it is.

I honestly think it is not a good idea to eat take out food at this time, but I know sometimes it is necessary and I cannot say I have refrained completely.

On the stimulus bill - what the hell are they doing now? They are going to offer (some) workers more in unemployment than they make normally? Wont people quit to make more money? I would hope not, but lets not make it enticing. Match wages $ for $ or ush for increased wages but do not make it lucrative to quit. I just do not get it anymore.

If you do not need the checks I would advise not letting the government keep it. Use it to help someone if that is what you want, but do it yourself or donate it to a charity that way you know it gets to the right place.

...I went to one inside a gas station/convenience store. While waiting for my treat, I noticed the girl at the gas/convenience register handing things to customers and taking money with her bare hands. Then the girl in my section comes with my coffee, holding it and shaking it with her bare hands. During these times, shouldn't there be some kind of law that people with these types of jobs should wear gloves? Or is that useless if the virus can stick to gloves?
They should wear gloves and a face mask if serving food, that should be a law during the coronavirus pandameic. If a food handler is just wearing gloves, they will end up rubbing their mouth or nose during the course of the day, and do that while serving food. I'd take my own snacks and my own coffee just to be safe. Besides I don't want anyone sneezing on my fast food.

...If you do not need the checks I would advise not letting the government keep it. Use it to help someone if that is what you want, but do it yourself or donate it to a charity that way you know it gets to the right place.
Nice thought, but I don't anyone gives up their free money. If I was wealthy I would, but I'm the working poor, so you guys can give me your checks

Then I realized the gloves are more for the wearer's protection - with gloves on they are less likely to touch their face - the glove reminds them not to bring their hand up to their eyes, nose, mouth or ears (but as said, unless changed in between every single item handled, they can spread germs like anything else).
Yes, gloves are for the wearer's protection rather than the customer's protection. But gloves are in short supply right now. I mostly work at the front desk, but people's credit cards and especially cash are filthy and with my health issues I'm at greater risk anyway so I need to do whatever I can to protect myself. I've been washing my gloves several times a day (basically just washing my hands with the gloves still on) and changing them only when I know I've handled something foul (like dog feces, for example). And, yes, I have noticed that it keeps me from touching my face which is a huge plus. It's also cut down on my boredom eating, since I've been removing my gloves and washing my hands each time I eat.

But regardless of what store/restaurant employees are wearing or not wearing, you should disinfect everything as much as possible because that the virus can be on any surface.

They should wear gloves and a face mask if serving food, that should be a law during the coronavirus pandameic.
Nice thought, but both of these items are in very short supply right now. Especially masks.

My work hasn't even been able to get surgical masks for awhile now and we need them for doing surgery.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
On the stimulus bill - what the hell are they doing now? They are going to offer (some) workers more in unemployment than they make normally? Wont people quit to make more money? I would hope not, but lets not make it enticing. Match wages $ for $ or ush for increased wages but do not make it lucrative to quit. I just do not get it anymore.
As I'm reading things, it looks like they've raised the cap to match (up to a point), and extended unemployment from 3 months to 4. So it won't last forever.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Clean hands are better than gloves, no one washes their gloves. They can change them, but it becomes a hassle and expensive for businesses. Wearing them for self protection is fine, but as I mentioned it becomes worse for those receiving the goods they touch.

I always assume what I am being given is contaminated and if possible I wipe it off before taking it. I know that doesnt work with food, but cups, paper goods etc... it is.

I honestly think it is not a good idea to eat take out food at this time, but I know sometimes it is necessary and I cannot say I have refrained completely.

If you do not need the checks I would advise not letting the government keep it. Use it to help someone if that is what you want, but do it yourself or donate it to a charity that way you know it gets to the right place.
Ive tried using the standard gloves you can get but for me they just dont fit my hands and tear anyways. They didnt have Gloves when old timers did hard work all day. Its simple us soap and scrub a persons dirty hands.

Someone else advised it too. I will wait until I see the actual check & make a decision then.

Nice thought, but both of these items are in very short supply right now. Especially masks.

My work hasn't even been able to get surgical masks for awhile now and we need them for doing surgery.
Mask are impossible to find, but I've seen plenty of disposable gloves in stores. I was at Home Depot and Costco yesterday and they both had gloves. I bought a box of 100 gloves from Home Depot while I was there (mainly for wood working and staining which is what I do).

Ive tried using the standard gloves you can get but for me they just dont fit my hands and tear anyways...
Me too. The one size fits all disposable gloves won't fit me, I can't even get them on. I usually buy the large size at Costco, though yesterday at Home Depot they had XL size so I bought them. I haven't even opened them up yet.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Mask are impossible to find, but I've seen plenty of disposable gloves in stores. I was at Home Depot and Costco yesterday and they both had gloves. I bought a box of 100 gloves from Home Depot while I was there (mainly for wood working and staining which is what I do).
Neat.
Slight thread derailment incoming in 3, 2, 1:

Wood working, eh? You build? Repair? Hobby? Professionally? That's something I wish I knew more about. About as far as I've ever gotten was building frames for some art, or building various wooden cradle panels to paint on. Nothing elaborate though. Nothing functional.

Neat.
Slight thread derailment incoming in 3, 2, 1:

Wood working, eh? You build? Repair? Hobby? Professionally? That's something I wish I knew more about. About as far as I've ever gotten was building frames for some art, or building various wooden cradle panels to paint on. Nothing elaborate though. Nothing functional.
I make wood related items, so I'm always cutting, drilling, sanding, routering, all that fun stuff! On any given day I will be outside in a face mask, gloves, eye protection and a tyvak 'moon suit'...so wearing gloves and face mask out in public is easy for me.

Mask are impossible to find, but I've seen plenty of disposable gloves in stores.
They've been in short supply in the stores in my area. But regardless even doctors and nurses can't get masks so requiring food service workers to wear them is pointless and will only put everyone in the food industry out of work so my point still stands.

Mask are impossible to find, but I've seen plenty of disposable gloves in stores.
Aren’t we being told not to wear a mask if we feel ok? Save them for people who need them the most? I haven’t worn a single mask.

I went to Hyvee after work and there was a guy in there wearing a fumigation mask, black rubber gloves and not a piece of skin was showing on his body.. I call that extremely paranoid

Oh yeah, my co-worker who works closely with me, he called out for a few weeks. The company won't tell us if he has it due to HIPPA regulations.

I saw the prince might have the Virus I bet Corona tried to infect the queen but died because she will age but never die.

They've been in short supply in the stores in my area. But regardless even doctors and nurses can't get masks so requiring food service workers to wear them is pointless and will only put everyone in the food industry out of work so my point still stands.
I meant in an ideal situation as in if there were enough mask, hopefully in the near future there will be.

Aren’t we being told not to wear a mask if we feel ok? Save them for people who need them the most? I haven’t worn a single mask.
Save them for people who need them? I doubt a doctor wants to wear my used sanding mask. You're a nurse right? You mean you don't wear a mask at the hospital? (I assume you work in the hospital, but you might not of course.)