Swordfish

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Saw this last night, and have to say I liked it ALOT. It was a damn cool movie. I didn't like the opening speech at first, but I realized the importance of it later on in the moving. From the opening scene, which is visually one of the coolest I have ever seen, the movie just got even cooler. I loved the action sequences, and the plot wasn't half bad either. I love the way everything fits together in the end. It was amazing, to me at least. I give it on the scale of being a good action movie, and entertaining as hell, a 4 out of 4 stars. If you like action movies, then you really should catch this flick. Just make sure you don't walk out at any point.

Did you see it with Mark?

Nah, saw it with friends that go to a different school(OP). I'm not sure if Mark would like it, hes coming over tomorrow by the way. He would probably find ways to make fun of it, even though I didn't see anything really wrong with the movie, which is another reason I enjoyed it soo much. I recommend it to anyone who likes action movies. It really does have some amazing stuff in it. Very original in my opinion.

All I know is that the preview looks awesome. And yes he probably would find some way to make fun of it; after all, it's not directed by Stanley Kubrick. lol, ok I'm joking. You guys going to check out a flick tomorrow? Instant message me

Swordfish was the first mindless popcorn movie of the summer and managed to live up to my expectations. The action sequences were top notch, beautiful women all around, strong performances from most of the cast, and a story with holes big enough to fly a bus through.

Surprisingly this 'action' movie focuses more on character development than it does on blowing shite up, but it still manages to deliver some stunning action sequences. The car chase is the best since Ronin and along with the opening explosion turns this movie into a credible action flick. It was nice to see the bad guys using something new to destory a city block (you have to see the movie to see what I mean though).

Like all popcorn action flicks there has to be a beautiful woman, and this one certainly delivers. All hail Halle Berry and her beautiful body. I must say that I was actually kind of disapointed at how they showed her berries, it seemed like they thought, "Hey, let's just throw this in to sell a few million more tickets". Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not complaining, but I felt the scene with her taking her wire off was actually a more 'exciting' scene. Physical attributes aside, Halle Berry shows that she does actully know how to act and turns in a fine performance as Travolta's sidekick.

Speaking of Travolta, am I the only person he bugs the hell out of? I don't know who the bright person was in Hollywood that decided John Travolta was the ultimate psycho villian (Broken Arrow, Face/Off, Battlefield Earth), but that person should be shot. In my eyes he just doesn't seem like a believable villian. Early in the movie a computer hacker is talking about how Travolta lives in a world of fantasy, one that we can only dream of. Well that might not be too far from the truth because the only place that John Travolta can act is in a fantasy world.

Unfortunately for my buddy John Travolta he had to star alongside Hugh Jackman. This man is going to be a STAR people! He was great in X-Men and wisely chose to follow it up with a role that makes him look like THE MAN!!! (but then again, so would just about anybody next to Travolta). I can't wait for this guy to make some more action flicks because he sure is good at it. He reminds me of Willis in the Die Hard days and I am sure he will be pleasing audiences for many years to come.

The rest of the cast was strong, though Don Cheadle seems to be rehashing the role he played in Traffic. Fortunately he does it well so there really are no complaints. I just wish that Hollywood would give him a strong part that showcased what a talented actor he is.

The story was fun, though not very clear. I guess this is to be expected from a movie like this so I won't really complain. Overall I would say that this movie is definately worth seeing, just maybe not on the big screen.
6/10

Check out my website for more reviews and plenty of quotes:
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~s8mosey

Originally posted by mightymose
Like all popcorn action flicks there has to be a beautiful woman, and this one certainly delivers. All hail Halle Berry and her beautiful body. I must say that I was actually kind of disapointed at how they showed her berries, it seemed like they thought, "Hey, let's just throw this in to sell a few million more tickets". Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not complaining, but I felt the scene with her taking her wire off was actually a more 'exciting' scene. Physical attributes aside, Halle Berry shows that she does actully know how to act and turns in a fine performance as Travolta's sidekick.
I noticed that too. It is soo unbelievably unnecessary that it's funny!! The movie could of done with out it and been just as entertaining.

I think we all know that, without Halle's scene, this movie would have struggled to bringin even $10 million. As it is, it's looking like a bit of a flop. $19 million in it's opening weekend is a dissapointment, considering it cost around $80 million to create.

Ouch.

this movie hasn't been released here in England, but i just thought i'd say Hugh Jackman is a complete babe!
bye bye!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
SPOILERS

i enjoyed it; as for Halle's berries (heheh, nice pun you got there), they weren't necessary; then again, they were. i can't explain it, but there was a lot of manipulation of character within the storyline and I *think* (I hope i'm not crediting the director with too much), I *think* the director was trying to do the same with us - especially men, because he knows they're into halle and perhaps also with women, to get us doubting her.

her character bares all - or does she? that kind of thing. hugh's character is likeable, yet stupid - we walk a fine line, because we think he trusts too much, yet, could halle perhaps be a GOOD thing? we see him drool openly over her, yet want him to succeed, even though he's an idiot for falling into their trap. we know he's going along for the ride and we just hope he comes out ok and when halle is shot we feel a mix of things - if she were really DEA, she was stupid. if she weren't, she lied. either way, she deserves to get shot.

the ONE thing i couldn't stand was travolta's hair. AND the ONE loop that bugged me - Travolta steals the identity of a foreign terrorist ... UM, PEOPLE, he looks NOTHING like a middle eastern terrorist, i am so sorry. that is one white mofo all the way ... sheezus.

sorry, had to let that one out. but overall, fun, engaging. it served it's purpose, and that's what i like. certainly better than Tomb Raider.

When I grow up I want to change my name to Vin PigsnieLite Diesel.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
honey, you can try, but you will never ever be that gorgeous, gorgeous man. he is too too scrumptious. so tall! so ... imposing. and, oh yum, he's got a twin brother ... who's an editor! perfect. delish. joy. *wanders off in a daze of scandalous daydreams ...*

Why not? Im gorgeous & delish!. I dont want to be bald though, what if my head gets sunburned. and whats the twins brothers name --Jim Diesel??? Bwhahahhhaaahha

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I found this movie to be a very good one. By the same guy that did Gone in 60 Seconds it seemed to have problems story wise as did 60 Seconds, but made for an enjoyable movie.

As for Halle's semi-nude scene..not really needed. It wouldn't have been any less of a movie without the 10 seconds of "nipplage".

It's good to see Travolta wasn't scarred by his slump of bad movies..(Battlefield Earth, Lucky Numbers)
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Well, for those of you who share my interest in the business-side of the box office, Swordfish cost roughly $80 million to create, and has earned just a bit over $60 million domestically. As is the case with most movies, it will still turn a profit via overseas numbers, and, above all, video rentals. However, any movie that makes less than it's cost in the US Box Office is usually considered a failure of some sort...especially by myself.

Oh well. Kind of funny that Shrek has made over $230 million, despite a budget half the size of Swordfish, eh?

Yeah, but this is a dang massacre. If you're comparing a PG-13 movie to an R-Rated movie, you can't really go by box office numbers...unless the movie with the lower rating is totally beating the ever loving snot out of the higher rated one. I do agree that Shrek is making money because of it's broad appeal, however.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I figured I would get this back up to where it was visible since everybody is talking bad about this movie.

It might of had more bad parts than good parts, BUT it's a movie you can watch over and over and just enjoy it. Don't tell me that opening sequence wasn't any good. That was shizzzit. For the most part, this movie was a lot like Sena's other movie Gone In 60 Seconds, which has it's own moments, but is still a movie you can watch over and over again.

When I watch Swordfish, I don't feel bored watching it over and over again since I know what is going to happen. That's why I like it so much.

The opening speech is one of the coolest things about this movie, I can't believe you didn't like it. I liked this movie for the most part...Travolta appears to be having a ball and the sight of Halle Berry topless was definitely worth the price of admission.

Swordfish = Great movie!.... first time

After the first time you watch it it just seems no fun. Mainly because of the ending. I wont put any spoilers out there but you know what i mean. Although the basic story is good i still feel like it could of been better maybe with different actors? Travolta i dont think suited the role that well maybe its just because no matter how many movies hes done i still see him in my head as a singing slick haired greaser, but then again maybe you dont think that... just my opinion.