Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

94. The Life of Oharu (1952)

Now, that's how you do melodrama. I found this movie better than most of the other Mizoguchi films I watched as well since its plot is more complex but this movie still preserves the simplicity and gravity of Mizoguchi's films. It's basically the misadventures of Oharu through 17th century Japan, very sad story for a very sad period indeed.

93. Akira (1988)

The second animated film on this list. And they are both from the same year: 1988. That was indeed the greatest year for animation of all time.

Now that is an aggressive movie. In contrast with Mizoguchi's contemplative atmosphere this movie is a ball of agrressive testoterone. The manga is widely regarded for revolutionizing manga art (one of the few manga where the characters look authentically Japanese) but the movie also revolutionized the expressive potential of animation.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A pretty kewl top. Surprisingly, live action movies outnumber anime (so far!).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

92. Alien (1979)

Alien is regarded as an "horror movie" but essentially it is a masterpiece of design. It's dark style is extremely impacting and memorable. Perhaps, it's Jean "Moebius" Giraud's masterpiece more than Ridley Scott's.

91. A Beautiful Mind (2001)

My favorite "conservative Hollywood drama biographical movie", that is, it's perhaps my favorite of these numerous biographical Hollywood movies about historical figures. In this case I am personally affected because I actually work in the same field as Nash does although I didn't work when I watched the movie, which was when it first came out, it provides a glimpse of the zeitgeist of serious economics (in opposition to Marxism BS). At a first watch I also though the main character wasn't mad until the end of the movie, when I re-watched it I could clearly notice when he was hallucinating and when he wasn't,

90. Planet of the Apes (1968)

Yet another Sci fi classic. Interesting how Hollywood today is milking up all their classic genre franchises (only 2001 hasn't been milked in, yet ). This film has one of the best endings ever. Like, the whole movie is a set up for that ending. It really rings true for the world during the Cold War, now it's a bit anachronistic (which makes the newer movies way less relevant).

89. Day of Wrath (1943)

One of the very few 1940's movies I have watched. Essential Dreyer and it's a movie made in Denmark during the German occupation of the country. A truly severe piece of art: intensely muscular characterized by deep feelings of anxiety. While Dreyer's diction makes the weight of the frame feels like it's going to crush the audience which it's emotional weight. This is so far the strongest emotional reaction I got from a Dreyer film although all his films were very severe and distinct this one I found the most memorable.

My Favorites so far are Sideways, The Hidden Fortress, Drive, Planet of the Apes, and Alien. I also really liked Day of Wrath, Paths of Glory, and Life of Oharu. I like 12 Monkees a little and wasn't crazy about Akira or A Beautiful Mind. Looking forward to the rest!

@Criket, I think that you will have watched almost everything in here, certainly nearly all the live action movies.

Since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday morning let's continue this.

88. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

When writing a top 100 movies list, when in doubt, fill it up with Kubrick's movies. Anyway, Kubrick is certainly my favorite Hollywood filmmaker because his movies are simultaneously entertaining, leave a powerful impact and are visually beautiful. Kubrick is a very visual filmmaker in fact at least that is what their movies remind me the most: their visuals. And Eyes Wide Shut was one of my most impacting experiences watching a Kubrick movie.

87. Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise (1987)

Back in the 80s science fiction dominated genre entertainment both in the West and the East. In animation I think that a large fraction if not most anime made in the 80s and 90s can be qualified as science fiction. I think that the reason is that most slice of life manga when adapted into film would be adapted into live action while science fiction manga would be adapted into animation. And animation is the ideal medium for science fiction: stuff like drawn space ships integrate much better in the general environment that is also drawn than plastic or CGI models integrate with cinematography.

86. Dune (1984)

Harkonen animal! Perhaps the "worst" movie I ever watched it is epically bad in a way so memorable that it became a great experience. In fact, one of the most memorable movie experiences for me and also one of my favorite Lynch movies. Well, it is science fiction after all.

This si a bloody fbrilliant list so far, man! Can't wait . Hurry up! Can you finish this today?

97. 12 Monkeys (1995)

This is my favorite Terry Gilliam movie, although I haven't watched all his movies. I actually like Brazil as well, although Brazil's title is complete nonsense (coming from a Brazilian by the way), although Brazil is also a very bureaucratic country the movie Brazil feels more like what's happening with East Asia now rather than South America. 12 Monkeys is different, its a more elegant film and more powerful experience.

Anyway, this movie is very dark actually, a rather depressing and powerful experience. I found it very unlike Monthy Python's movies as well (Gillian directed some of that stuff too). But it's obviously heavily influenced, in fact, almost a remake of Chris Maker's short film from the 1960's. And yet, another film that's either science fiction, war or animated.
Brazil is totally insane. No wonder when it's after Kafka. Bureaucracy is the most powerful force in the universe. It's unbeatable.

Why did you leave the ...?
I couldnt stand the paperwork.

And then when in the end the papers take him away.

I just don't get 12 Monkeys. What's the point? I don't give a ****.

They're all srewed up in the head. Brains don't work.

When he arrives in nut house.

Interstella performance by Brad. Perfect casting with Bruce who's anyhow nutz.

92. Alien (1979)

Alien is regarded as an "horror movie" but essentially it is a masterpiece of design. It's dark style is extremely impacting and memorable. Perhaps, it's Jean "Moebius" Giraud's masterpiece more than Ridley Scott's.
I agree. Ridley did some of it himself or something like that.

91. A Beautiful Mind (2001)

My favorite "conservative Hollywood drama biographical movie", that is, it's perhaps my favorite of these numerous biographical Hollywood movies about historical figures. In this case I am personally affected because I actually work in the same field as Nash does although I didn't work when I watched the movie, which was when it first came out, it provides a glimpse of the zeitgeist of serious economics (in opposition to Marxism BS). At a first watch I also though the main character wasn't mad until the end of the movie, when I re-watched it I could clearly notice when he was hallucinating and when he wasn't,
Great movie. I've been learning math 44 years. Crowe's great. You a mathematician? I recall you have a PhD? game theory, differential geometry, and the study of partial differential equations.? In terms of math movies, I'd have to give it to The Man Who Knew Infinity, though. It's worse, but it's about Rama, so period.

i also agree Marx was ans *******, fat bastard and a villain. Can't fstand him!

90. Planet of the Apes (1968)

Yet another Sci fi classic. Interesting how Hollywood today is milking up all their classic genre franchises (only 2001 hasn't been milked in, yet ). This film has one of the best endings ever. Like, the whole movie is a set up for that ending. It really rings true for the world during the Cold War, now it's a bit anachronistic (which makes the newer movies way less relevant).
I saw it too long ago to remember anything but switching people with apes. We should really do that.

2001 hasn't bc it's impossible. I'm expecting to see it no 1.

@Criket, I think that you will have watched almost everything in here, certainly nearly all the live action movies.

Since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday morning let's continue this.

88. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

When writing a top 100 movies list, when in doubt, fill it up with Kubrick's movies. Anyway, Kubrick is certainly my favorite Hollywood filmmaker because his movies are simultaneously entertaining, leave a powerful impact and are visually beautiful. Kubrick is a very visual filmmaker in fact at least that is what their movies remind me the most: their visuals. And Eyes Wide Shut was one of my most impacting experiences watching a Kubrick movie.
Yes, I like Kubrick, but I'd switch him with Lean. Polanski, godard.

This movie however, saye we all have eyes wide shut to what's happenning in the world. And who relly rules it. You think it's Putin or Trump? The real fat bastards are hidden so they can't get shot. No wonder Stanley died right after this. They probably killed him.

86. Dune (1984)

Harkonen animal! Perhaps the "worst" movie I ever watched it is epically bad in a way so memorable that it became a great experience. In fact, one of the most memorable movie experiences for me and also one of my favorite Lynch movies. Well, it is science fiction after all.
The novel is outstanding. I agree. the worst adoptation. to ruin such a master-piece. Why don't the Hollywood imbeciles make a proper re-make,of which there are so many, bc they have no more ideas, as you said. BC they know it wouldn't make enough money. People rather watch sw, lotr and other unbearable crap.

No wonder. I can't stand the rigid fat bastard lynch.

84. The Godfather (1972)

Now that's a movie! The Godfather is very famous as being perhaps the peak of Hollywood's cinema. In many ways it is a perfect Hollywood movie: a powerful family drama characterized by great performances and direction.

83. The Human Condition Trilogy (1959-1961)

Now that's a real epic film. Made during the peak of Japan's golden age of cinema, the human condition trilogy is a 10 hour long powerful anti-war movie. Such a film could only be made in Japan during the golden age period since any period before or since would run into budgetary restrictions... Anyway, I think that Kobayashi's films are a bit simplistic but in this case it works very well because the clear message combined with the straight execution make it a highly memorable and tragic experience.