Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Maybe I should pull another "Quarantine" just to piss you off. I have yet to see the original, so I think I'll to see this first and then the original, and then talk down on that because it's so similar to the one I just watched.

Maybe I should pull another "Quarantine" just to piss you off. I have yet to see the original, so I think I'll to see this first and then the original, and then talk down on that because it's so similar to the one I just watched.
Yes, trying to piss people off is one way to live life...

Sorry d00d. I hope I see more you've seen. I like hearing your thoughts about what I watch. Of course there's no way of knowing every movie you've seen, really.

Yeah, it's cool. If i've not seen the movies then it is good for recs anyway.
You're taking recs from me? What's wrong with you?

Cabin Fever -

(Travis Z, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

A hugely awkward and cringe-y miscalculation. I don’t really care about the fact that it’s pointless, which seems to be everyone’s biggest criticism. It is, sure, and I’m not saying that criticism isn’t appropriate. But I think a remake can be pointless and still be good. I don’t hate remakes, just bad ones. My biggest problem with this one is how it took everything great about the original - notably the humor, oddness and immense personality - and completely removed it all in an attempt for a more straight, serious horror film. That’s not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, this isn’t the first time that’s been attempted, except that it’s practically word-for-word the same otherwise (with some important distinctions that did nothing to improve it). It’s just awkward seeing a scene play out almost exactly like the original except everything good about how it played out in Roth’s version is taken out. The characters here are these issues personified. Completely bland and stale versions of the original cast, reading the lines with no personality involved.

I’ve seen the original too many times to count, and am a big fan, which may have something to do with how noticeable all this was for me. I’m a big fan of Roth too, but his cinematic profile is not flawless. The first thing I ever disliked that he was involved in was The Green Inferno. Producing this might be an even bigger offense. He's still mah g though.
I came across this on TV a few nights ago and saw the scene where he burns the girl in the shed. I stopped and thought "this isn't that bad". I liked the way they made her look and she was very convincing. In that scene anyway. Then it moved on to the next scene and it broke the spell. Yeah, pretty awful.

The Slumber Party Massacre -

(Amy Holden Jones, 1982)

[REWATCH]

Written by a female (who is a feminist herself) and directed by one, too, this is supposedly and amazingly a feminist satire of the slasher genre. However, you wouldn’t necessarily realize it just by watching the flick. And I’m not sure whether it adds to or detracts from the film anyway. But I don’t really care. I can’t sense much point to it, knowing that stuff. It’s not some clever and profound criticism of slasher cinema, but a subtle - in fact, barely noticeable - parody of it. Mostly it just comes off as standard 80’s slasher-trash. Whatever the case, I'm a big fan of that stuff, and this one is very good.

Side-note: I'm starting to think 1982 was the best year for horror.

The original script for that movie - by the feminist Rita Mae Brown - was not intended to be a scary slasher film at all, but more of a parody/comedy. They changed it and made it a real slasher film. One of my favorite movies.

The original script for that movie - by the feminist Rita Mae Brown - was not intended to be a scary slasher film at all, but more of a parody/comedy. They changed it and made it a real slasher film. One of my favorite movies.
You're the one who introduced me to it. I have fond memories of our commentary. HK was there. I believe we watched all three within one night.

Parts 2 and 3 just came out on Blu-Ray. Two days ago, in fact, I believe. Yes, I remember those commentaries. I don't remember this HK person you speak of.

I want some people's opinions. I'm often told in real life I should start a film blog, and I kind of want to but have it be all about horror films. But I'm not sure I'm any good at writing. Would it be a waste, or is there potential? I'm mostly concerned anyone who comes across it will be repulsed by my opinion and thus not follow it. But hopefully there are a few out there who share similar taste in horror?

I think the main thing I'd need to work on is lengthening my write-ups so they are full reviews. I've never been good at filler. I guess I could do little weekly round-up segments instead of individual reviews, but I'd rather do reviews.

I think the main thing I'd need to work on is lengthening my write-ups so they are full reviews. I've never been good at filler. I guess I could do little weekly round-up segments instead of individual reviews, but I'd rather do reviews.
If you can sum up your thoughts succinctly in four lines then why not - infinitely preferable to a long-winded, flowery review purely for the sake of appearance that still only imparts the same points/thoughts imo

If you can sum up your thoughts succinctly in four lines then why not - infinitely preferable to a long-winded, flowery review purely for the sake of appearance that still only imparts the same points/thoughts imo
You're absolutely right. I just need to figure out how to write stuff that appeals to people I guess.

You're absolutely right. I just need to figure out how to write stuff that appeals to people I guess.
Best advice I can give is write stuff that appeals to you

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer -
+
(John McNaughton, 1990)

[REWATCH]

An extremely impressive film that I like quite a lot, but like similar films such as Angst and Maniac, it stops there. I feel like I should see these flicks as masterpieces because conceptually they are brilliant and are even executed very, very well. It’s a complete mystery why I don’t. Thankfully however, I can still appreciate them immensely, as evidenced by my rating. I seriously hope one day I will see Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer for the masterpiece it probably is.