Rhys' Fabulous Viewing Diary of Fabulousness

→ in
Tools    

15th January 2015 - Part 2

Antichrist (2009, Lars von Trier) - 7/10 - 1st Watch

Antichrist is a disturbing film, with some fairly disgusting scenes and some great acting from the two main cast members. Lars von Trier shows his controversial qualities here with the film receiving a lot of hate, but I thought it was actually quite good, although not nearly as shocking as I was expecting.

I thought the acting and opening scene from Antichrist were brilliant but overall the movie was just ok for me. I'm interested in seeing it again.

1st January 2015

American Beauty (1999, Sam Mendes) - RW - 8/10

American Beauty is a great little film with an interesting storyline and fantastic cinematography and iconography. This is a film I have been tasked with to analyse for a university assignment and it has been a lot of fun doing so far.

& 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick) - RW - 10/10

Probably the greatest sci-fi I have ever watched and amongst my favourite films of all time. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a richly layered masterpiece that can be watched over and over again and you would still find something new.

Glad you liked American Beauty...one of my favorites...Spacey and Bening are brilliant.

7th January 2015

Rewind This! (2013, Josh Johnson) - 7/10

This is an interesting and informative documentary that taught me a lot about the video era. I was born in 95' and only have a somewhat short recollection of VHS's from when I was younger.

& Good Morning, Vietnam (1987, Barry Levinson) - RW - 8/10

Probably my favourite film staring Robin Williams, he displays fantastic acting throughout this fine story. The "It's a wonderful world" scene is pretty fantastic actually.

Didn't like Good Morning Vietnam as much as you did...Williams is brilliant when the character is behind the microphone, but the rest of the film is a crashing bore...the film's appeal was also lessened for me when I read somewhere later that the real Adrian wasn't anywhere near as outrageous was as Williams was in this film, but I've known for years that facts are often glossed over or exaggerated for the sake of entertainment. I do know that without Williams in the lead role, the film would have been unwatchable.

19th January 2015

Whiplash (2014, Damien Chazelle) - Cinema - 9/10 - 1st Watch

Wow. This film was INTENSE. Whiplash has fantastic acting and impressive cinematography throughout backed by a very strong story. Incredible stuff. I was close to speechless leaving the cinema.

20th January 2015

The Train (1964, John Frankenheimer) - Cinema - 7/10 - 1st Watch

This is a decent and enjoyable film with good acting and interesting visuals, it was worth the watch but if I was to watch it again, I'd try get more sleep the previous night!

Birdman (2014, Alejandro González Iñárritu) - Cinema - 7/10 - 1st Watch

Good, but a bit of a disappointment. The story didn't really do much for me, not did the humour to be honest. The acting was excellent, specially from Keaton but besides that and the cinematography I wasn't too impressed and it, for me should have ended 5 or so minutes sooner. It feels as if it wanted to end and didn't on more than one occasion.

It may well be fantastic, but I've seen and heard nothing about Birdman to make me think I'll like it. Ditto Foxcatcher, actually.

What makes HK click? What does a movie have to bring to the table for you to enjoy it, or want to see it? I'm not trying to get an argument started or anything, I genuinely want to know. You just seem to dismiss most movies very easily.

Pretty cool that you saw The Train. I watched it last month on Mark's recommendation and thought it was great. It does seem like an odd movie to be playing at the cinema.

Pretty cool that you saw The Train. I watched it last month on Mark's recommendation and thought it was great. It does seem like an odd movie to be playing at the cinema.
It's part of out university course and they play films at either the Showroom (a big art-house cinema in Sheffield) just for us or in the university's own cinema. The Train was in the universities cinema.

21st January 2015

Bambi (1942, Many) - Cinema - 6.5/10 - 1st Watch

A good Disney film. It is very well animated but I feel some of the voices for the older characters (when they age) are a little off. The narrative also skips through a fair amount.

22nd January 2015

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999, Jim Jarmusch) - Cinema - 6/10 - 1st Watch

This film took a while for me to get into but when I did I realised that this film is actually fairly clever. This doesn't stop the fact that the premise is still pretty ridiculous. It's worth a watch though, it was entertaining.

& Grand Piano (2013, Eugenio Mira) - Cinema - 6.5/10 - 1st Watch

A very interesting but simple film (which unfortunately has a fairly weak plot) that strives due to it's fantastic style, cinematography and editing. Seriously give this one a watch. I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock yet but this one seems to have a style in parts that could be compared to his.

23rd January 2015

Blackfish (2013, Gabriela Cowperthwaite) - 8/10 - 1st Watch

This is a very informative and powerful documentary that outlines the issues surrounding SeaWorld and similar organisations and the captivity of Orca whales and the physical and psychological effects it has on these great creatures. It looked deeper than I originally imagined it would.