Best Alfred Hitchcock Film

Tools    

All of them are good. I am trying to buy his entire collection, but I keep getting sidetracked from such a simple task.

I just got Vertigo and Lifeboat.

My top 10 are...

01. Rope (1948)
02. Psycho (1960)
03. Vertigo (1958)
04. The Wrong Man (1956)
05. Rear Window (1954)
06. Dial M for Murder (1954)
07. Strangers on a Train (1951)
08. Frenzy (1972)
09. Northy by Northwest (1959)
10. The 39 Steps (1935)

See the trailer here:

Semper Fooey
North by Northwest

Psycho

The Lady Vanishes

Vertigo

Rear Window

The 39 Steps

Strangers on a Train

Notorious

Lifeboat

Rebecca

My faves:

5. Rear Window

A psychological mystery thriller that stands out on it's own not just because of it's distinctive formula (particularly for it's time), but also because of Hitchcock's ability to make the most of it's "limited" theme. The story of a man who can't walk, is stuck in his apartment, but with good observational instincts, honed by his job, that all end up putting him in a situation where his immobility makes for a simple, yet in Hitch's hands, an excellent plot device that incrementally builds & builds on it's suspense towards it's finale.

4. The Birds

The very first Hitchcock movie I ever saw.
During my early formative years on this planet, my dad used to pack our family into the panel-sided Buick station wagon & take us to the drive-in theatre where we were exposed to alot of those 70's cheesy "when animals attack" movies, like Food Of The Gods, Night Of The Leapus, Swarm, etc...
Goofy escapist fare of whose cheese I, as a child, ended up developing a taste for.
Therefore, one day, when the day came that I first viewed Hitchcock's The Birds on the ol' boobtube, my initial reaction was "Coo-hoooooollll.... Kinda like the movie 'Frogs!'! Except with birds!"

3. Notorious

At first glance, this seems like a typical Hollywood picture of this era: the insanely attractive couple of Ingrid Bergman & Cary Grant, both looking at their most perfect, in a lush looking film with spy intigrued plot, with the added feature of a small cadre of Nazi's thrown in for good measure.
Yet, the characters' personalities and their dialogue towards each other as they try to embitterly mask the feelings of love & longing that they must fight thru in order to complete their respective missions, reveals that this is an atypical film (for it's time, at least) with a feeling of cinematic bite that can only be the signature of Alfred Hitchcock. Add to the fact, that Cary Grant, usually a more of a comedic lead with skills of perfect timing, pulls thru this serious, & uncharacteristicly bitter role with a result that leads the viewer to sincerely sympathize with his character just cuz we know that deep inside, there is some good within him.

2. North By Northwest

Cary Grant gets chased across America by villainous spies, government agents, & the most dastardly of 'em all, a crop-duster!
In the same manner that Psycho made me start taking baths in order to avoid the "someone-sneaking-up" factor that is the natural result of shower curtains,
this movie made me always choose dwellings within the city in order to avoid ever having to cross paths with any of these air-borne single engine bi-planal horrors.

1. Psycho

Kinda an obvious choice, but still my favorite.
Due to the era that Psycho was released, Norman Bates may not have had the opportunity to cut through a swath of teenaged bodies (not that most teenagers back then didn't deserve it) in the manner that the Freddies, Michaels & Jasons do these days, but he definitely pioneered the crazed, almost supernaturally-empowered maniacs that the more recent masked comtemporaries of today have become famous for.
Though the datedness of this movie has seemed to lessen the shock & horror of this b/w classic, the energy of it still reverberates today & for me, the ending shot of Norman Bates' visage is still one of the best creepy endings on film.

"The Birds" ... this is at the top of my list!

Coming in close behind that would definitely be "Psycho"

Then it would have to be "Rear Window"

And well then it's a toss up between "Vertigo" and "North by Northwest"

psycho definately!!! classic hitchcock film and scared me out of the shower for quite some...

hahaha yes that is quite a give away!

I wonder who would win? "Reagan McNeill" spewing pea soup or "Norman Bates" wielding a large knife?

rear window defo

The Birds is a masterpices
I can't believe they going to remake it

For some reason I'm just not a Rear Window fan. I loved Psycho and The Birds.

http://hiddenmovieblog.blogspot.com

While all his films are excellent, I think I would have to go with the 1945 classic "Spellbound" with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck. Although a bit slow at times, it tells the story beautifully and deliberately. A great film.

BlueCowboy

Vertigo. When Jimmy Stewart meets the Kim Novak character for the second time, I find that obsessed look in his eye quite spooky.

I love driving by the Palace of the Legion of Honor, or going down to San Juan Batista, and knowing I'm right there where the movie was made ....

True. The park ranger will explain that the tower was destroyed in an earthquake between the time Hitchcock scouted the location and he showed up for filming the next year. I believe it's mostly studio work.

Several of the buildings are recognizeable, including the barn. Pleasant day trip to visit. Have lunch at Maria's on the main drag (gratuitious plug, sorry).