The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Is there anyone else who was bothered by the narration in Naked City ? It truly single-handidly ruined the film for me. Just when I'd began to be entranced by film , damn patronizing narrator would start with his joking remarks about the story I was trying to take seriously.

i had to be or not to be at #18. i hoped it would be higher but there should be at least one other lubitsch making this list
criticker

I saw The Naked City about two months ago to prep for the countdown and I really enjoyed it. I liked it because it was a bit noirish but came from the cops point-of-view for a change instead of a private detective or a dodgy person. And I love Barry Fitzgerald in everything I've seen him in, so this was a win for me. Didn't put it on the list, dang it! You've heard it before...it almost made it but suffered a last-minute cut.

To Be or Not to Be, I have not seen. I've seen the Mel Brooks remake and really liked it, so I'm not sure how I'll like seeing this one but I'm game to try. Neither made my list.

Have seen 12/18

This might just do nobody any good.
The original To Be or Not To Be is pretty wonderful. Jack Benny is hilariously insecure.

"What you are I wouldn't eat!"

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've included probably the most-exciting scene in The Naked City and the hilarious intro to To Be or Not To Be. Still no votes from me.

Yeah, that was a great chase scene in The Naked City. I liked the guy who played the young detective who was right on the bad guy's heels. He'd just received a beat down from that guy, so, well revenge is sweet. The only part of the whole movie I didn't like is the blind man's dog getting shot. People are funny, we can watch humans getting slaughtered all over the place in movies, but when it comes to animals. Reminds me of the Western, The Professionals where Burt Lancaster shoots a horse so it won't go back to its home with the bad guys. Robert Ryan is not happy and Lancaster laughs. When Ryan asks what's funny, Lancaster says, "People. We kill six men and no one blinks an eye. But when it comes to one of God's most stupid creatures." Ryan: "But harmless." Lancaster: "Nothing is is harmless in this desert unless it's dead." I guess I'm like Ryan in attitude. Oh well.

The Naked City, I think I've seen it? Sometimes with noirs, the titles tend to blur together. If I haven't seen it, my current noir kick well get me watching it.

To Be or Not To Be, I liked it, not on my list but yeah for a Carole Lombard film making it...oh and Ernest Lubitsch too.

The only part of the whole movie I didn't like is the blind man's dog getting shot. People are funny, we can watch humans getting slaughtered all over the place in movies, but when it comes to animals. Reminds me of the Western, The Professionals where Burt Lancaster shoots a horse so it won't go back to its home with the bad guys. Robert Ryan is not happy and Lancaster laughs. When Ryan asks what's funny, Lancaster says, "People. We kill six men and no one blinks an eye. But when it comes to one of God's most stupid creatures." Ryan: "But harmless." Lancaster: "Nothing is is harmless in this desert unless it's dead." I guess I'm like Ryan in attitude. Oh well.
I'd say it's because animals are innocent, while people that get shot in movies tend not to be. No-one laughs when children die in movies, either, do they? People only cheer or laugh when they think the victim deserved their fate.

Still no films from my list yet. Oh well, the points totals are still quite low, though there is one film in particular on my list (a little-known film I'd strategically placed highly) that I'm getting worried might not make it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Two more movies that I watched for this countdown, but they didn't make my list.

Is there anyone else who was bothered by the narration in Naked City ? It truly single-handidly ruined the film for me. Just when I'd began to be entranced by film , damn patronizing narrator would start with his joking remarks about the story I was trying to take seriously.
I thought The Naked City had the potential to be a great movie, but like Jeff said, the narration ruined the movie. It made it feel like it didn't know if it wanted to be a serious noir or a comedy.

To Be or Not To Be was okay, but I expected better. I haven't seen the Mel Brooks remake, so it wasn't an issue of comparing the two movies. I just didn't find this movie funny.

I liked it. The cadence does seem cheesy and distracting by today's standards, but I think it fit the time well. The mock tone also makes me think of the public indifference to tragedy that becomes relevant at the very end. And, the bit and the end gets me. I don't know why it hits me so strongly, but the murdered girl is being glossed over as just another cog in the news machine, while those close to her are shown still profoundly affected. Then the narrator gives us the money line... it almost brings me to tears.

I'd say it's because animals are innocent, while people that get shot in movies tend not to be. No-one laughs when children die in movies, either, do they? People only cheer or laugh when they think the victim deserved their fate.
Yeah, I was trying to equate innocent with "harmless," which I included in the quote from Robert Ryan. To me, this is the worst form of emotional manipulation. But at least in The Naked City they didn't dwell on the dead dog or the poor blind man, they just went on as most noirs do. And that's me calling this film a noir. Some others might not agree and call it a police procedural, and that's fine. But back to the innocent animals. I usually avoid movies that have animals prominently featured in their advertising. Because I know, by hook or crook, that animal is a goner.

Don't believe I've ever seen either The Naked City or the one about pencils. Award yourself full points if you guessed that neither made my list

Faildictions:
82. Black Angel
81. The Lodger

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Don't believe I've ever seen either The Naked City or the one about pencils. Award yourself full points if you guessed that neither made my list

Faildictions:
82. Black Angel
81. The Lodger
NICE

To Be or Not to Be is genius and I had it at #4. First from my list to make it, I think. Shoulda been way higher.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."