Adaptation

→ in
Tools    

I have a feeling that that is the reason a lot of people pan the film. It doesn't fit, and feels cheap after all the emotional investment one puts into it. If you don't recognize this, it can sway an opinion to the negative. I love Adaptation, but love Malkovich more, just a little.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Dear Buds,
Not intending to boast about "writers I have known" but I do think it gives you a look into the wonderful wierdness of the creative personality. And of course, there is one more little element we have not kicked to death yet, and that is how the hero finally Adapted himself to reality and the requirements of his job as well as adapting the book to (a sort of unrelated) film format!
Love & kisses 2 all
Jozie

The Adventure Starts Here!
THAT part they have down perfectly -- the angst and lack of self-esteem of so many writers.

I'm a writer and I think the internal monologue is hilarious and spot-on. Sounds like the ways I think about myself most of the time....

There are plenty of articles out there about writers and clinical depression. I think we're just too well trained to nitpick details in everything we see. We fret too much.

Put me in your pocket...
I just read you're spoiler Linda and agree with you. For the most part I liked the movie and thought it was clever...until the ending. The ending ruined it for me. Alot of things didn't make any sense to me...especially Merle Streeps' character.

I had to laugh in the parts were Kaufman is writing and was finding excuses to stop, or rewarding himself if he got to a cetain point...."I muffin would be good right now. I really like apple muffins...". I often do that when working.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yes, I thought the internal monologues he had with himself based on his insecurities were incredibly insightful. I liked the part about whether he should reward himself with a cup of coffee for getting so much work done, or have the coffee first so he could get the work done.

I swear that's how I think myself through the day, especially when I'm writing.

The movie was great!... Adaptation... but i still havnt fully understood it... well.. not really at all... I cant tell whether it has some psychological twist in it.. or not?

Only for the weak
Originally Posted by Aniko
I just read you're spoiler Linda and agree with you. For the most part I liked the movie and thought it was clever...until the ending. The ending ruined it for me. Alot of things didn't make any sense to me...especially Merle Streeps' character.
I think the ending was hilarious, you can't take a Charlie Kaufman movie too seriously or you won't get it. I'm glad I knew a little about Kaufman before I watched the movie or I would have been like "Wtf was that?!"

I was always curious as to why Cooper won an Oscar for this role, but god he was great. Very cartoonish, but that's what the role recquired. Any big time actor that is willing to wear a prosthetic mouth piece, grow a mullet, wade through murky waters, and get entirely naked on camera deserves a gold statue

A system of cells interlinked
Rented this last night and I really enjoyed the film. Cage did a fabulous job and the script for this movie is just stellar. I saw the ending coming as we were all trying to figure out when the brother would take over the screenplay. There were a few of us watching and we figured it out just a bit before Don finishes "The 3". What a great film that is so very original. Love the stuff these guys do.

Cheers all

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooo! I'm so glad you liked it too!
;-D
I thought it (& the Cage) were tops-w/props!
Look what my sis-in-law said about it

http://www.freelookbookstore.com/E-Zine/chick.html

xx
jozie

@Sexy Celebrity do you still like this movie?