Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

City of God and The Fly are also huge favorites of mine, but I didn't like Fury Road.

Schindler's List is probably the most noteworthy movie I've yet to see.

71. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's (2012)

With the brightest colors, biggest explosions and cutest character voice acting and designs this is essentially the culmination of the evolution of action fantasy drama and cuteness (with Gothic Lolita inspired costumes mixed with a more "mechanical aesthetic") in the medium of animation. Although it's story is pretty standard sci-fi fantasy it's audiovisual experience is still very unique in its dialectical opposition to expected gender and age roles in contemporary Japanese society and hence it earns a place in my top 100.

70. The Apartment (1960)

A powerful romantic comedy and penetrating exposition and criticism of post war American society. I strongly identified with the prototype character of the single solitary guy living in a studio.

The Apartment is also on my watchlist. Haven't heard of the other one.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

69. The White Ribbon (2009)

Now, that is a real movie. Yes, it is a heavy handed message about the intrinsic evil of the German people but still highly impressive and effective as movie. The cinematography is also stellar.

68. Rhapsody in August (1991)

Kurosawa's penultimate film is also one of my favorites. It is very different from the early Kurosawa movies being a late example of contemplative cinema by perhaps the greatest director who ever lived in its twilight years.

67. Aliens (1986)

One of the finest action science fiction movies I had the pleasure to watch. Made in a time when James Cameron made good movies (like today his movies still feel like "Cameron" but before they were in someways much superior, they felt more "powerful" and "real"). This movie also features very cool technical special effects and art design. I liked it even more than the original alien although I included both in here.

66. Amadeus (1984)

Now this is "Oscar bait" that is actually great. One of my most memorable movie watching experiences is a movie about the relationship between Mozart and Salieri, who is Mozart's rival and the only person in the movie that fully understand Mozart's genius.

I don't actually wear pants.
83. The Human Condition Trilogy (1959-1961)

Now that's a real epic film. Made during the peak of Japan's golden age of cinema, the human condition trilogy is a 10 hour long powerful anti-war movie. Such a film could only be made in Japan during the golden age period since any period before or since would run into budgetary restrictions... Anyway, I think that Kobayashi's films are a bit simplistic but in this case it works very well because the clear message combined with the straight execution make it a highly memorable and tragic experience.
This is my favorite trilogy ever. Every frame is excellent, and it's just a powerful film.

And Texas Chain Saw Massacre is my favorite horror film. I like how it was made on the cheap, funded by a studio, and still scares the crap out of me.

65. Howls Moving Castle (2004)

And yes, the first Miyazaki movie to make the list. A film that features some of the best art and animation in the history of the medium while the plot makes little sense the film can be understood as being a roller coaster full of emotions.

64. La Jetee (1962)

The shortest movie in my top 100 is a French science fiction short film from the 1960's. Perhaps the first classic of science fiction it is indeed a powerful masterpiece of minimalistic cinema.

Love Aliens and The Apartment, liked La Jetee and Howl's Moving Castle, and didn't like Amadeus.

I look forward to The White Ribbon and Rhapsody in August.

63. Truman Show (1998)

Really loved this movie. Although I watched about 19 years ago I still remember it clearly. It's a quite sophisticated movie for a Hollywood comedy. Hence, deserves a spot in my top 100.

62. A Man Escaped (1954)

Now for a more "art-house mafia" type of movie, I put A Man Escaped into my top 100. This is Bresson's minimalistic cinema at it's most intense and best according to my tastes. Bresson's film is a very unique experience as it maximizes the dramatic intensity of "prison life" by minimizing the degree of complexity of the prisioner's relationships inside the prison. In a way it articulates a pure visceral approach to a visceral need although planned with intellectual precision: to escape from prison.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
62. A Man Escaped (1954)

Now for a more "art-house mafia" type of movie, I put A Man Escaped into my top 100. This is Bresson's minimalistic cinema at it's most intense and best according to my tastes. Bresson's film is a very unique experience as it maximizes the dramatic intensity of "prison life" by minimizing the degree of complexity of the prisioner's relationships inside the prison. In a way it articulates a pure visceral approach to a visceral need although planned with intellectual precision: to escape from prison.
I loved this movie, but the term "art-house" means nothing to me.. Even if it's defined, if others use it on their own terms, it makes it obsolete. I like to be specific and just name the movie, which should be a genre on it's own, as opposed to a factory-made movie...

61. Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below (2011)

While this is regarded by many as Shinkai's worst movie it is my favorite movie by him in fact. It is Shinkai's tribute to Miyazaki and so he explicitly copies many of Miyazaki's stylizations. It also shows some apparent influence from Tarkovsky's Stalker in it.

60. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Now, this is a MOVIE. I mean, it is the definition of a classically epic movie. Essentially, a benchmark by which historical Hollywood dramas should be measured and indeed one of the best movies I ever watched.

59. A.I. Artificial Inteligence (2001)

And yes, my favorite Speilberg movie of all time is A.I. Why? Because it was my most memorable experience with a movie of his. It feels disjointed and erratic in its narrative but that is what makes it great in a sense since real life is also disjointed and erratic.