Guaporense and Zotis Review Animation

→ in
Tools    

139) In this Corner of the World (2016)

Now this is how animation should be. Perhaps the best thing I watched this year indeed. Or at least the best movie (Simoun is not a movie). In the style of Takahata it is essentially a less tragic Grave of the Fireflies, instead of being a tragedy from WW2, it is a story of an average person surviving through the war. There is tragedy but it's not the central element of this movie, also it shows Hiroshima being nuclear bombed from a distance.

140) Hanasaku Iroha (2011)

Now that's a nice slice of life about a teenager girl who is working on a inn. It's really well made in fact, the animation is very good as well as the direction. It's a bit cliche though but it's drama is authentic enough.

141) Fruits Basket (2000)

Really cute stuff. Initially it felt a bit "dated" given the oldschool shoujo art style and the quality of the animation were a bit low. Still, it is something packed with very strong emotions. I was much more impressed by it's ending than it's beginning: it is something subtle that grew on me over time.

142) Haruka Nogisaha no Himitsu: Purezza (2009)

An extremely mediocre series, it is essentially empty in content: it is a sequel for the original series that had no reason to exist since the basic premise of the original series was resolved in the original series. Hence, this sequel is essentially episodic (and mainly erotic) filler. Although I watched it because it is bad but I am learning Japanese from it so if I don't understand much I don't lose much.

143) In Another World with my Smartphone (2017)

The most mediocre thing ever made. It is a harem show like those made by the dozens. Interestingly, it started out as a web novel (i.e. "fanfiction") written by an amateur and was adapted into animation. What is it about? A guy dies and is reincarnated into a fantasy world with a smartphone and uses the phone as his magic wand. He easily dominates everything and everybody he encounters in that fantasy world, the conflict is completely vapid.

144) Boku no Hero Academia 2nd season

Now that's a masterpiece of entertainment. In fact, I found it to be one of the most powerful experiences from animation I experienced this year and this was a great year for my animation "career" indeed. I watched multiple masterpieces of animation this year, including little witch academia, Simoun and this one. This was way better than the first chapter, as characters received a lot more depth and overall it was a very powerful emotional experience.

Korea of course. The Chinese style of cartoons is completely different.

This is Chinese:

This is Taiwanese:

This is Korean:

This is Japanese:

This is American:

This is French:

I often confuse the American and French styles because they are so similar but the Chinese and Taiwanese styles are world's apart.

Initial D: First Stage
(1998)

Directed by: Shin Misawa

Initial D has had quite a reputation, and it's about time I watched it. It certainly lives up to its reputation. Great story, great characters, solid animation, it was a really fun series and I'm looking forward to more. You can tell just by watching this, even if you don't know anything about cars, that these guys did their research. And that is what makes this show really shine, it's got all the hype and none of the fantasy make-believe drab that shows like Dragon Ball Z have. It's got that level of hype, but it actually makes sense and is realistic. The dynamics between characters are good too. It was a really fun show to watch and always kept me on the edge of my seat. Classic 90's animation, and an important anime that every anime fan must watch.

145) Knight's & Magic (2017)

The most mediocre thing I ever watched. It is adapted from a webnovel (written by a volunteer and published on the internet, like the smartphone one) and so it's basically amateurish writing wrapped around the current state of the art in animation and art design. I liked the aesthetics of it though, also the fact the main character is non-binary looking (which is the character in the picture is a cute boy that looks like a girl), although the plot is really bland: Japanese programmer who is also a mecha otaku gets killed in a car crash and reincarnates as a cute boy in a world of magical giant robots. Yep, this is contemporary nerdy culture at it's zenith.

Why I watched it? To practice my Japanese I choose to watch mediocre stuff such that if I don't understand a lot of the dialogue I don't lose much.

Be sure to check out:
Genocyber
Angel Cop
Dragon's Heaven
Dagger of Kamui
Darkside Blues
A Wind Named Amnesia
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt

If you haven't already, that is.

Be sure to check out:
Genocyber
Angel Cop
Dragon's Heaven
Dagger of Kamui
Darkside Blues
A Wind Named Amnesia
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt

If you haven't already, that is.
I haven't watched any anime in like a year so Ill check one of these out. Mind if I do a guest review if ever finish one

think I will watch mobile suit gundam thunderbolt. Can I watch that without previous knowlege of the series

think I will watch mobile suit gundam thunderbolt. Can I watch that without previous knowlege of the series
It should stand well on its own, and doing a guest review is fine.

My top series of all time include the following:

Serial Experiments Lain
EVA
Madoka
Haibane Renmei
Simoun
LOGH ("Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu")
Aria: The Origination
RahXephon

My top animated movies are all Miyazaki and Takahata.