Nikolai McCon's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
67. Spider-Man: Homecoming
68. A Monster in Paris
69. Strange Magic
70. The Little Prince

- Spider-Man: Homecoming was a really enjoyable film. I enjoy all the Spider-Man films, although, I enjoy them in very different amounts. I would say that this film is an improvement over the last three installments, though, I don't necessarily think it holds above the first two Sam Raimi films. This film will be the focus of one of my video reviews when I get everything started in October, so I'll share my thoughts then.

- A Monster in Paris is a French animated film I decided to watch with my girlfriend, who had already seen and recommended the film. Generally, her and I don't have similar views on films. For instance, I absolutely loved The Nice Guys, and she thought it was lackluster, and she loved the new Beauty and the Beast, which I thought was mediocre. This film is another instance where our difference in opinion is shown. I thought the film was fundamentally flawed from a storytelling perspective, with archetype characters and plainly put, simply a really weird, forced plot that never really meshed all that well. It feels like a lot of really generic subplots spliced together to create a film. I also didn't enjoy the musical aspect very much either.

- Strange Magic is a film my girlfriend enjoyed that she has tried to make me watch for a couple of months now. Knowing the abysmal reception and, simply put, how bad it looked, I wasn't interested. I watched it though, and yeah, it was about what I expected. The animation looks very, very low-budget and abysmal. The characters are archetypes, but, more than that, the subplots are loosely threaded, all about squeezing as many musical performances as possible without it being too much of an off-put. This might not have been that bad a fact, but it isn't even actual original music, instead, it's covers of popular music, and that makes the offering seem all the more lazy, it's like a cheaper, less profitable Trolls.

- I don't have a whole lot to say about The Little Prince. This is the second French animated film I've watched this month. The film had a lot of known names to its cast and I enjoyed its animation and it definitely had a certain charm about it. Truth be told, if I were asked what I thought about it, I'd say I am somewhere in the middle, but there's a caveat to my opinion as well. I watched this film at around midnight, I had woke up the night before at around five in the afternoon, then, worked a whole shift from 10pm to 7am, then, stayed up til midnight. In other words, I was up for around 30 hours, and I was on the brink of passing out the entire time that film played.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
71. Blade Runner
72. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
73. War for the Planet of the Apes
74. The Fifth Element

- Blade Runner is a classic film, and for that reason, among others, it's disappointing that my thoughts on the film aren't more optimistic than what they are. I thought the film was sub-par, for lack of a more in-depth description. I have a review written for the film that will be posted when I kick-off my YouTube channel, sooner or later.

- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was solid. The film suffered from a lot of flaws from a narrative standpoint, but was terrifically inspired on an aesthetic front. The film was enjoyable, and for that reason, I was happy with it. Larger review pending.

- War for the Planet of the Apes was the conclusion to what was, perhaps, the greatest trilogy ever. I am not for certain on whether I liked it more than Dawn, but I can say for certain that I am very happy with the film. Larger review pending.

- The Fifth Element was alright. I'd say that I liked Valerian more than it. I liked quite a bit of it, but Chris Tucker's performance was godawful and damn-near ruined the film for me. Larger review pending.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I did a video review for Spider-Man: Homecoming, it's a little rough around the edges, but it's a learning process ...

The Bib-iest of Nickels
75. Donnie Darko
76. Annabelle
77. Annabelle: Creation

- Donnie Darko is a long-time favorite of mine, and that's a fact that still remains, indefinitely.
- Annabelle still sucks.

- Annabelle: Creation will be receiving a video review shortly, expect it, I think, on the 28th, if not earlier.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I just watched The Fifth Element for the first time several months ago. I didn't like it at all.
I think the groundwork of a good film existed, Chris Tucker really killed it for me though. His character was so over-the-top and ridiculous.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
78. SAW II
79. SAW III
80. A Nightmare on Elm Street (remake)
81. 9
82. Titan A.E.
83. The Social Network

- The remake for A Nightmare on Elm Street sucks.
- 9 wasn't bad, wasn't great either, same can be said for Titan A.E., they're both simple animations that kept me entertained without ever really exceeding expectations.
- I absolutely love The Social Network, still one of my all-time favorites.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
84. Rugrats: Go Wild
85. Space Jam
86. Death Note
87. Paddington

- Rugrats: Go Wild is a film I really don't care for. I liked Rugrats: Go to Paris and the first Rugrats film, but Go Wild seemed a lot more thrown together and half-assed.

- Space Jam's notably a pretty cheesy, silly film, but it's fun, and I loved it as a kid.

- Paddington is a cute, clever film, I enjoyed it a fair bit.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
88. It Comes at Night
89. Rocky Horror Picture Show
90. It: Chapter One
91. Don't Breathe

- It Comes at Night and It: Chapter One with both be video reviews for me in the future.
- Rocky Horror Picture Show is still as weird as I always remembered it, unfortunately, however, that doesn't make it good, or even decent.
- Don't Breathe's a solid horror film. Shoots itself in the foot a bit toward the end, but still solid.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
92. A Nightmare on Elm Street II
93. SAW IV
94. A Nightmare on Elm Street III
95. Rugrats: The Movie

- A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is a film I always looked at as the "dullest film" in the Elm Street series, but after re-watching it recently, it isn't so bad, really, and actually has a B-movie charm. I'd consider it inferior to the first, but it's much closer in quality then I would of at first expected.

- SAW IV sucks. In my opinion, it is the very first "horrible" film in the SAW series.

- A Nightmare on Elm Street is a film that has always been held with high regard by many fans of the franchise, and, in some respects, it has some of the most memorable moments, with fun special-effects, but I also think it is tonally inconsistent, an awkward point in-between Elm Street's earlier ambitions and the campy humor it'd later be notoriously known for. Furthermore, I think it's the lowest point of the series thus far (of the first three, I mean).

- Rugrats: The Movie is a fun family's movie that's definitely anchored more toward kids, but I enjoy it, nonetheless, partly because of nostalgia, but also because it's a heart-warming, cute film.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
96. Leatherface
97. SAW V
98. SAW VI
99. SAW 3D: The Final Chapter

- I'll have a video review of Leatherface shortly, but, in-short, it wasn't bad.
- SAW V is better than four. I'd call it average.
- SAW VI is below-average, not as bad as four though.
- SAW 3D is the worst of the series.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
100. Kingsman: The Secret Service
101. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
102. Laid to Rest
103. ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest
104. Curse of Chucky
105. Cult of Chucky
106. Hellraiser
107. Gerald's Game
108. Creep
109. The Fly
110. The Babysitter
111. Ravenwolf Towers
112. Tales of Halloween

- I enjoyed the first Kingsman. I thought it was an enjoyable film. Enjoyable story and memorable action-scenes.

- I thought Kingsman: The Golden Circle was a bad film. I detail my thoughts more in my video review, but, simply put, I thought the film left a lot to be desired.

- Neither Laid to Rest or Laid to Rest 2 delivered, in my opinion, amounting to rather dull affairs, all things considered.

- I did a video review for Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky. Simply put, I enjoyed Cult, didn't enjoy Curse.

- Hellraiser is a film I'll also appreciate the existence of, but don't consider as a very good film. I enjoyed the novelette and the graphic novels for the series, but not many of the movies.

- Creep is a solid film. I did a video review for it.

- Gerald's Game is very good. I might do a review of it sometime, but I was certainly happy with it.

- The Fly remains an all-time classic. I did a video review of it with my older brother, but it hasn't been posted yet.

- The Babysitter was fun, not necessarily good though.

- Ravenwolf Towers was a very dull film. Full Moon Features hasn't delivered an entertaining film in a very long time.

- I've watched Tales of Halloween twice now, and I haven't liked it either time. I really want it to deliver like Trick R Treat or something of that ilk, but it doesn't.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
113. The Voices
114. Creep (again)
115. Puppet Master: Axis Termination
116. Creep 2
117. Child's Play 2
118. The House (1977)
119. Scream

- The Voices is an entertaining film. Ryan Reynolds' has had strides in dramas like Buried, but I believe most will agree that comedy is where he is best suited. This horror-comedy makes for a fun canvas for he, his cast, and all those involved to make for a good time.

- I participated in the Kickstarter campaign that Full Moon Features did for the new Puppet Master film (we're up to 11 now) back in 2015. In-retrospect, I really shouldn't have, as I haven't enjoyed the latest few films in the Full Moon catalog, but, I had more money to throw around at the time. (It was only $20 for the Blu-Ray version, but it was still $20 that I shouldn't have spent on this film.) I've enjoyed Full Moon Features a lot over the years, mostly back in the days when it was Empire and they had films like Trancers and Re-Animator, but I've found other films to enjoy since then as well, like Head of the Family. As for Puppet Master, I've never really had much affection for the series, although, I did enjoy Puppet Master 3, and Puppet Master and Puppet Master 4 both had their moments. As for this film, although, it's definitely better than the more recent films that Full Moon has been responsible for, at least in-terms of actual effort. Unfortunately, Axis Termination remains a slogging, dull film that manages to feel dragged out, even with a run-time that is only a little over an hour. I never feel any reason to care about the characters and the puppets themselves have underwhelming performances, oftentimes reduced to being shown on the screen turning their heads every now and again only to remind us they are involved in the film.

- Creep 2 is an interesting film. I'll have a video review up for it soon. Those who anticipated the film would build off the experience had with Creep might be disappointed, because, while that film played out in a serious manner, this film plays out in a way that's more akin to Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon and meta-films of that variety. I liked it. Although, I'll admit that it has diminishing returns in the home-stretch and I believe the first film was more effective in that regard.

- Scream and Child's Play 2 remain as classic films that I enjoy a lot.

- The House (1977) is a strange film. I don't mean it as much of a compliment in this regard, as the incomprehensible, incoherent mess The House represents adds up to a fully unwatchable experience. The unfortunate aspect is that, visually, the film has some appealing transitions and style. Unfortunately, as a film, The House is awful.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
120. Jigsaw
121. Thor: Ragnarok
122. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4
123. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5
124. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
125. Cats Don't Dance
126. Happy Death Day
127. Halloween II (remake)

- Jigsaw wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good either. I did a video of it, the link is available in my N-Jay Today YouTube channel thread.
- I'll do a discussion over Thor: Ragnarok in the near future, but I'll say now that I liked it well enough.
- As for the Elm Street films, I intend to do a review of each of them, so far, in-general, no film has topped the original, but I also don't think any film in-particular has been very good. It's usually great concepts falling short of potential.
- Cats Don't Dance was alright. I can't remember much about it.
- Happy Death Day wasn't bad. It wasn't good, either though. I'll do a video for it.
- Halloween II was better than I expected. I enjoyed a lot of what Rob Zombie was trying to do, even if he didn't always succeed, I admire his ambition.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
128. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
129. Justice League
130. Wonder
131. Coco
132. Home Alone
133. The Santa Clause
134. The Santa Clause 2
135. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
136. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
137. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
138. Star Wars: The Attack of the Clones
139. Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith
140. Mayhem

I have reviewed Wonder, Coco, and Star Wars 7-8 all respectively on either the N-Jay Today YouTube channel or on The Mishmash Podcast. I will eventually review Wes Craven's New Nightmare on N-Jay Today and Justice League on The Mishmash Podcast.

- The Santa Clause isn't really what I'd call a "good film," but I do like Tim Allen and I used to love the film as a kid. I think I would say about the same about Santa Clause 2, both of them are very goofy, silly films that you check your brain at the door and simply enjoy for what they are. However, Santa Clause 3 was purposely ignored this year.

- Home Alone is a fun film. It's cheesy, but fun for kids. It doesn't have much staying power with me as an adult though.