Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Syndromes and a Century (2006, Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

Time, memory, love, the intrinsic randomness of existence, the vacant stares and silences, the deceptively superficial husk that hides whole dimensions of meaning - how can you analyse these things coherently and not end up sounding like a wannabe know-it-all film critic in the end? I know I can't, and I'm sure I would be doing this film a great disservice if I tried.
So I can only tip my hat to Apichatpong Weerasethakul for sharing his innermost self through this film and encourage everyone who hasn't seen it yet to give it a try.

Unregistered User
Interrogation (Bugajski, 1982)

I've seen more than one movie which invoke Orwell though the aesthetics of a work such as 1984 to a greater extent than its historical revisionism and heartbreaking betrayal. Bugajski makes a stricter, more clear political statement than those. The statement so potent and gut wrenching that it resulted in this work being suppressed for 7 years before the dissolution of the Eastern Bloc. Thankfully this saw the light of day.

Similar to Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave, the fish out of water nature of the protagonist allows us to self-insert into an unfamiliar environment instantly. As cliche as it is to use a woman as a punching bag for overwhelming suffering, Bugajski smartly uses the gender dynamic to fully express the gravity of the state's violations. The relationship that forms between the woman and her captor expresses the doubt of the individual within the morally corrupt system while also admitting the effectiveness of violent coercion. The product of their relationship proves the indellibility of state's actions, however far removed from the circumstances allowing them. It's a very well thought out, albeit rather conventional, picture with criticisms just as virile and scathing today as they were decades ago.

This sounds great! Never heard of it before.

KONG: SKULL ISLAND (2017)

The problem with Godzilla was that the story kept focusing on the humans too much. This film still focuses on the humans to an extent, but Kong is still there throughout and kicks ass. Not really a shocker but yes the best parts are all the sequences with Kong, and once again most of the characters we're suppose to be invested in are pretty bland and given very vague backstories, with the exception of John C.Reilly's character. Which disappointed me but this film takes place in the past, while the sequels (including King Kong vs Godzilla, **** yes take my money now) will probably take place in present day like Godzilla did so I don't really feel the need to be attached to these characters anyways. Despite most of the characters being bland the actors still give solid performances which is good. Overall this film is not better than Peter Jackson's King Kong but it's still a solid reboot nonetheless, and an improvement from 2014's Godzilla.

The White Ribbon

6/10

I know you like violent films, is The Number 23 violent or gory?

He Walked By Night - 6/10

I think I seen that, was that told from the perspective of a criminal who's being chased by the cops?

Woman in the Dunes (1964)

Now, this was strong, transcendent journey to a human soul. I got so many thoughts about this however not much time at hand to write. I need to rewatch. I saw it some ten years ago but didn't pay much attention to it. Last night I was in the dunes.

Legend in my own mind

The Challenger (2015)

Where to start with this.

It is like a weird Rocky tribute.

Seriously, there are lines lifted straight from Rocky and used in this film.

It was like a bad reboot. So many blatant copies of the Rocky films, there was even a picture of the great Mr Balboa in one of the scenes.

Kent Moran has watched Rocky and 'wrote' directed and starred in his own version of it.

The acting was woeful and overall it just wasn't very good.

Things that I liked
Michael Clarke Duncan was ok

Things that could be better
Everything else

The French Connection (1971)

A good crime drama with an excellent chase scene. I really liked the raw and gritty feel to the film. It had a great energy about and never really felt like it was dragging.

Minority Report (2002)

Was inspired to watch this from the sci-fi countdown thread since it's a movie I've always been interested in seeing and have access to (it was On-Demand!).

The good: Philip K. Dick always provided cerebral sci-fi and this story made for a very good movie. You had to pay close attention because it is also a complex murder mystery thriller, yet the film still pulls the story together without the viewer feeling lost. But it was full of twists, turns and intrigue that made for a satisfying watch. Certain parts of the story reminded me of Logan's Run and Strange Days.

The not so good: First, this is purely a cinematic comment, but what is it with filmmakers and glare? Almost every seen in this movie had harsh glare pouring in from one direction or another. I felt like I needed sunglasses. Not that this ruined it or anything and I understand creating "atmosphere," but what it said to me is that the future is full of glare.

My usual criticism - just a little too long. At a run time of 2 hours and 25 minutes, this movie is about 20 minutes too long. What could've been edited or cut down for time? Chase & fight scenes. While imaginary within a futuristic setting, the chase & fight scenes felt like areas where the film deviated from P.K. Dick's mind-bending conceptual developments... to... satisfying demographics via modern filmmaking formulas (i.e. if you don't have your chases and fist fights, no one will come see it).

I give the movie

It also got me thinking about a much larger concept I'll start a thread on:
Thought Crimes. http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=48603