The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Why should I care? It met the requirements to be eligible for voting.

I gave it a whole 1 point and that's all it scored - 1 point. It didn't make the list proper and it's not going to be checkable in the lists section. It really doesn't matter why IMDb classified it as Sci-Fi.
We were able to submit 1 pointers in addition to our top 25?

That was the rules of the list... if it's listed as Sci-Fi then it's eligible.

Not seen Caveman myself, but I've checked over the movie, and it might be down to having humans, dinosaurs and an ice age all in one film.

We were able to submit 1 pointers in addition to our top 25?
No.

The One Pointers list is made up of movies that received only 1 point, hence the name. In other words, only one person voted for that movie and that one person ranked that movie at #25. Caveman was my #25 and nobody else voted for it.

IMDb is a fickle site for classification at times.

Caveman, Sci-Fi
The Flintstones, not Sci-Fi
Ghostbusters, not Sci-Fi

This was one of the reasons when I held the Comics Countdown, I didn't just use IMDb, I used a number of websites... a lot of them were really, really obscure sites with some serious hardcore comic fans in them.

No.

The One Pointers list is made up of movies that received only 1 point, hence the name. In other words, only one person voted for that movie and that one person ranked that movie at #25. Caveman was my #25 and nobody else voted for it.
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

What other non-sci-fi movies did you vote for? Gladiator?

IMDb is a fickle site for classification at times.

Caveman, Sci-Fi
The Flintstones, not Sci-Fi
Ghostbusters, not Sci-Fi

This was one of the reasons when I held the Comics Countdown, I didn't just use IMDb, I used a number of websites... a lot of them were really, really obscure sites with some serious hardcore comic fans in them.
Interesting. I would think Flintstones: Viva Rock Vegas would have to be classified as sci-fi since it includes the great Gazoo (an alien from outer space... or is he from the future... or both?)

I had Cloverfield as my #25 one of the better done monster movies of the past decade imo

Honestly can't believe out of all the Terminator films you could have on your list someone had Terminator Salvation on their list, I liked the first 2 Terminator movies to an extent but every single other one since has sucked, especially Salvation which was another level of terrible.

Dunno about the Flintstones sequel... I just had a quick look at the 1994 movie.

If Caveman was sci-fi, then Flintstones should be too. but, it's not.
I've not seen Caveman though, but from first glance it looks like something of a similar tone and theme as Flintstones.

But, like I said, IMDb doesn't have Ghostbusters listed as sci-fi... so, basically, IMDb is dodgy sometimes in its classifications.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
this as GOT TO BE A record!! 18 one-pointers! That's a helluva spread!

Woody Allen is a pedophille
this as GOT TO BE A record!! 18 one-pointers! That's a helluva spread!
Yeah, I was incredibly surprised with the amount of one pointers that kept showing up. There were some films like Spaceballs and Cloverfield that I was sure were going to get more votes, but never did.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dunno about the Flintstones sequel... I just had a quick look at the 1994 movie.

If Caveman was sci-fi, then Flintstones should be too. but, it's not.
I've not seen Caveman though, but from first glance it looks like something of a similar tone and theme as Flintstones.

But, like I said, IMDb doesn't have Ghostbusters listed as sci-fi... so, basically, IMDb is dodgy sometimes in its classifications.
IMDB can be dodgy sometimes. For some strange reasons it has the Ben Stiller, Jack Black flick Envy listed as a comedy.

Suspect's Reviews

Of the one-pointers, one was on my list (Earthbound, which I had also suggested in the Sci-Fi Suggestions thread but had already suspected no-one else would vote for because of its obscurity). I also liked Safety Not Guaranteed and Triangle, though I guess they didn't get more votes because, rather than being outright sci-fi films, they're more like a drama film with sci-fi elements and a horror film with sci-fi elements, respectively. On that note, I also wouldn't have considered Cloverfield - it's mainly a horror film, with only very minor sci-fi elements. I thought Jumper was a decent film with an interesting concept, but too many flaws for me to consider it for my list. Finally, I'm surprised Spaceballs only got one point, considering Galaxy Quest made it onto the list proper.

My list so far with, for the first time, predictions of where the rest will finish:
1. Top 5
2. Top 10
3. Will probably make it, but may not
4. Top 20
5. Top 50
6. Top 50
7. Will probably make it, but may not
8. Top 50
9. Top 50
10. Top 50
11. Avatar (#80)
12. Top 5
13. Top 10
14. Will probably make it, but may not
15. Dune (#99)
16. Top 50
17. Probably won't make it
18. Probably won't make it
19. Top 20
20. May or may not make it
21. Top 50
22. Gattaca (#51)
23. Serenity (#59)
24. Strange Days (#81)
25. Earthbound (one-pointer)

Ok, Transatlantic Tunnel was my one-pointer:

353. The Tunnel aka Trans-atlantic Tunnel (Maurice Elvey - 1935, stream)

Enjoyable sci-drama that doesn't have the greatest quality sound or vision in places and the editing leaves a little to be desired at times but the effects are pretty good in the main and the tunnel sets/locations are lovely and although primarily a human drama that does veer into melodrama once in a while it mainly avoids doing so and is even hip enough to contain a cheeky reference to cannabis toward the beginning.

Welcome to the human race...
I always seem to forget that deliberately picking an obscure/unpopular film in the hopes of getting a one-pointer is always an option. Not sure what I would have picked for it if I had, though.

As for the ones I've seen...

Safety Not Guaranteed - ass.
Spaceballs - I like it, but I'm not about to argue with people who say it's one of Brooks' worst.
Terminator: Salvation - very easy to hate, but I do respect it in theory more so than in execution.
Cloverfield - alright, I guess.

Spaceballs only getting one point was unexpected. I thought that film was fairly popular.

Out of the 1-pointers list I've only seen Butterfly Effect, Short Circuit, Coneheads, Cherry 2000, Die Tür, Spaceballs, Terminator Salvation, Jumper, and Cloverfield. I meant to watch Safety Not Guaranteed but never got around to it. Many of the others I haven't even heard of.

I'm surprised the film I had at #25 didn't make the one pointers list, which means that someone else must have voted for it as well. I don't think it'll turn up this far into the Countdown, so I guess I'll have to wait until the end to see.

Didn't have any on the one-pointers, but like several. I won't even comment on whether I thought they qualified for this list or not:

The Butterfly Effect I liked the story and Amy Smart, but I don't care for Ashton Kutcher at all (well, to be fair, I was okay with him at the time, but at some point I realized that he's a crap actor). Still, it was an interesting movie.

Short Circuit Haven't seen it in years but remember enjoying it quite a bit, especially Fisher Stevens in a role that most probably wouldn't fly today.

Coneheads Always enjoyed this as a mild bit of fun that I usually watch when it comes on.

Caveman I love this movie! I can't help but laugh out loud every time I watch this one and yes, I have the DVD.

Cherry 2000 I've only seen this once but really enjoyed it. I'm not the world's biggest Melanie Griffith fan but I really liked her in this movie. Her and her car.

Spaceballs Love Mel Brooks and love this movie. I remember critics complaining that this parody came years too late to be relevant. What? What about Airplane! and Blazing Saddles, which mostly parodied movies decades removed from their release. Anyway, one of my favorite Mel movies.

Triangle

Always liked this one, mainly for Melissa George in all her epic fineness. Liked the twisty story too.

Terminator: Salvation I won't apologize for this but I enjoyed this one quite a bit, and in fact enjoy all the Terminator movies. Just dig those time-travelling-killer-robot-versus-the-soldier-of-the-future type of movies.

Jumper Lots of people seem to hate on Hayden Christensen but I'm not one of them. I thought he did a decent job in the Star Wars prequels (except for a few whiny moments). He was pretty great here and went with the flow of the movie just fine. Fun stuff.

Cloverfield Like this one very much. I thought the found-footage gimmick worked well here because we actually get to see the big baddie. The remainder of the one-pointers I haven't seen.

List so far:
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71